www.my-healthandsafety.com

se⋅ren⋅i⋅ty

   /səˈrɛn
thinsp.png
ɪ
thinsp.png
ti
/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [suh-ren-i-tee] Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -ties for 2. 1.the state or quality of being serene, calm, or tranquil; sereneness.2.(usually initial capital letter
thinsp.png
) a title of honor, respect, or reverence, used in speaking of or to certain members of royalty (usually prec. by his, your, etc.).
Origin:
1400&#8211;50; late ME serenite < L ser&#275;nit&#257;s. See serene, -ity
thinsp.png

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

se·ren·i·ty (s&#601;-r&#283;n'&#301;-t&#275;) Pronunciation Key
n. The state or quality of being serene.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

serenity
noun1. a disposition free from stress or emotion [syn: repose] 2. the absence of mental stress or anxiety [syn: peace]
WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University.

Serenity
Se*ren"i*ty\, n. [L. serenuas: cf. F. s['e]r['e]nit['e].]
1. The quality or state of being serene; clearness and calmness; quietness; stillness; peace.
A general peace and serenity newly succeeded a general trouble. --Sir W. Temple.
2. Calmness of mind; eveness of temper; undisturbed state; coolness; composure.
I can not see how any men should ever transgress those moral rules with confidence and serenity. --Locke.
Note: Serenity is given as a title to the members of certain princely families in Europe; as, Your Serenity.

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

I am not talking about titles or what have you but I am talking about that calm or serene state.

I am curious.

Thanks

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Where do you find Serenity?

I am not talking about titles or what have you but I am talking about that calm or serene state.

I am curious.

Kayaking down a river by myself, or sitting alone somewhere away from other people, generally in the wild somewhere.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kayaking down a river by myself, or sitting alone somewhere away from other people, generally in the wild somewhere.

Nature always works for me. I live on a small lake and can lose myself in the vastness of creation. Makes any problem I may have look small.J

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
nature, & meditation. if i can meditate in nature i'm pretty happy. cuddling with my wife, reading a book, & scratching my dog's *** also make me pretty serene.

a good snowstorm gives me a lot of serenity too. it's kind of like nature telling us to shut up & slow down.

jf

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In common with some above, I find true peace and serenity when I'm out in the woodlands, away from other folk, listening to the rhythm of the trees, so to speak.

As a total contrast, the other place I find serenity is when I'm practising my iai.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I did not find serenity this morning salting my wife's office building parking lot.
icon9.gif
However, I usually do find it outside while relaxing.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
se·ren·i·ty (s&#601;-r&#283;n'&#301;-t&#275;) Pronunciation Key
n. The state or quality of being serene.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

My highschool English teacher would hate when we used the word in the defination.

I find my serenity in mediation and also taking a hot shower.

Or you can try this...

Serenity now insanity later:lfao:

Last edited by a moderator:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll be the oddball. I find serenity through hard, productive work.

For me, true serenity comes from within. I take a tremendous amount of satisfaction from a job well done. In situations where I have worked hard, but not achieved the outcome I was expecting, or hoping for...I take solace in knowing that I did the best I could, over a period of time.

I also find that being outside and close to nature has a revitalizing effect, but I've also find that unless I have the internal satisfaction of knowing I've done my level best at my tasks at hand, I can't enjoy the beauty very much.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I find it in seeing my family's happiness, in my kids laughs and smiles, and when i have time to take a long walk through the woods.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who saw this thread title and thought he was looking for a DVD? :idunno:
Nope... I was tempted to say "On Firefly" or "in the black..." or on whichever movie channel is showing it...

but to go back to the topic... I find peace walking in the woods, or mountain biking... even just a walk around the pond.

But I can also find peace inside myself, or a church. Or even in a nice afternoon of woodworking...

There's a lot to be said for taking a bunch of pieces that aren't anything... and producing a cabinet or box or even just a nicely dovetailed drawer...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No matter where I go I can choose to take my crap (stress) with me or I can choose to leave it behind. I can be sitting at the computer reading the wonderful posts on MT and be serene or I can let my crap overtake me and pound out a fierce tirade of posts that'll get me banned forever !!! :soapbox:

(breathes)...

Serenity has always been and always will be from within. No matter where you are. You decide when you want to be serene calm and peaceful. The where doesn't matter.

I do however find a deep sense of serenity sitting in a quiet dark room of a cave :)rolleyes: ) and just stretching out my chi and feeling the earth and it's life force around me (no, seriously). But I have found it in still mountain lakes, tall forests, vast deserts and in the face of a sleeping baby in my arms. (no, the second picture is not me holding the kid :rolleyes: )

Attachments

• $ALASKA 02.jpg
    $ALASKA 02.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 140
  • $sleeping baby 02.jpg
    $sleeping baby 02.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 137

Latest Discussions