Senator John Kerry's hockey injuries

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can't imagine this guy playing hockey.

kerry-catching-football.jpg

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
With a very acute blade angle on the stick it's totally doable. My buds and I used to get similar injuries where the angle creates 2 r even 3 points of contact depending on where it hits and the angle of the blade.

Now imagine he gets high sticked across the face with the angle of the blade contacting the nose. Then the stick side and the blade side could have contacted the eyes.

bladelies2.jpg

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't think it is that unusual, if he got any subdermal bleeding from the broken nose it tends to settle below the eyes giving them the bruised look, you don't have to get hit in the eye to get the look of "black eyes." I've gotten a black eye below the eye after getting a "mouse" on the orbital ridge above the eye, it just depends on where the blood goes.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My cousin got 2 black eyes once from falling off her horse. her helmet - pre harness model must have broken her nose at the base, or just cause above mentioned bleeding.

It's been a couple of decades, I don't remember if her nose swelled up, but she looked horrible for a few days!

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Raccoon eyes. Common with a broken nose. Very common in hockey. Probably thought because he was with family and friends he didn't need a helmet. Lol. silly.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pretty easy to tell who has played Hokey, Field Hokey, Lacrosse etc in this thread.

Well, not me, but my wife and I watch a lot of Red Wings hockey. The injuries are common and frightening. Not blown out knees like football, but facial and ankle injuries are common, as are severe brain damage over the long term from many concussions. It's a brutal sport that takes a real toll on the body.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah. I had the pleasure/displeasure of being friends with a pair of brothers in high school who both played Lacrosse and Hokey, in fact they both ended up getting scholarships for Hockey. In any case, they heard I could play field hockey and roped me in. Reminds me, I should give those dudes a call.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Pretty easy to tell who has played Hokey, Field Hokey, Lacrosse etc in this thread.

Not me, but I am sort of surprised that the raccoon eyes from a broken nose aren't common knowledge in martial arts circles.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not me, but I am sort of surprised that the raccoon eyes from a broken nose aren't common knowledge in martial arts circles.

I don't think the location of the break is common in MA. I think we get more the common bleeding nose broken honker.

Maybe with Escrimas though..... ;)

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Without a doubt.

Hell, I had the racoon eyes from a broken nose that I got a few years ago from a forearm shot to the honker.

Mark

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sen. Kerry shows up for work with a hockey bruise on the day the Boston Bruins visit the White House? How convenient. Maybe he can get him a hockey license there. :rolleyes:

Although if this was an attention-getting ploy, it backfired...Sen. Kerry has been upstaged by Tim Thomas not going to the White House with the rest of the Bruins because he thinks gob'mint has gotten too big for its britches.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ditto, Still do, but with a cage. A broken mask and concussion ended a promising career.
Sorry to hear that. An all too common story from the pre 80's. Good for you that you still suit up though; It's a great sport! I'm content to watch my kids play now. My oldest is better than I ever was.

Latest Discussions