Aching knees

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Other than glucosamine and chondroitin which I already take, does anyone have a good remedy for aching knees?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me it was when I stated to loose some wieght the added wieght was killing them everyday. Now I do not know if you are carrying any extra wieght but if so they feel so much better twenty pounds lighter.

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately for me the solution was to cut back on the number of TKD classes and workouts per week. Loosing weight be probably have been a better solution for me. I'm still working on that one.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unfortunately for me the solution was to cut back on the number of TKD classes and workouts per week. Loosing weight be probably have been a better solution for me. I'm still working on that one.

Same here twenty gone but forty more to go.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me it was a combination of surgery, glucosamine and chondriton and losing weight. Probably more the weight loss, I never realized how much it affected my knees until I lost it.

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
Other than glucosamine and chondroitin which I already take, does anyone have a good remedy for aching knees?
Just a thought, have you got flat feet or fallen arches?. My son had problems with his knees and the physio discovered his feet had dropped arches, now he wears inserts in his shoes and his knees are not hurting. Apperently this can throw out the knee alignment and cause stress on the knee.

OP
TKDmel

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
For me it was when I stated to loose some wieght the added wieght was killing them everyday. Now I do not know if you are carrying any extra wieght but if so they feel so much better twenty pounds lighter.

Terry, I'm working on losing about 25lbs. and it should help and the glucosamine combo is also helping. I do have fallen arches as a latter post suggests and I guess I should spend the extra $ on good inserts rather than the cheap ones. I was kinda hoping that there might be some kind of salve or ointment for topical use that works well. In the past I used DMSO and it was a god send. They have watered the formula down in recent years, but I just found a site that may fit the bill. They only sell on orders of $40.00 or more but the gallon size is $39.00 I just may go for it if nothing else helps. Cutting down on classes has not helped. Its a cumulative effect of years of sports involving the knees. Goalie in hockey, cathcer in baseball, etc. It catches up to a person after a few years.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fish Oil also seems to help my knee.

Really do you rubbed it on them or drink it. Sorry not trying to be a smartass just was wondering. Anything to help these knee's, theyare twenty years older than me.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I take the regular glucosochondroitin cocktail but I also found that a combination of zinc and vitamin C really helps! I got the idea from my sifu who used that combination when training for his sifu examination having to get ready for an hour horse stance. He said it really helped keep his knees strong and free from pain....I'm finding the same.

7sm

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Try massaging the knees to create circulation going there.
try changing your posture when you walk.
try doing the charleston slowly and then pressing back on the knees gently.
try squating down and up slowly.
try massaging your legs up and down.
As the Neijing says"the knees are the place of the tendons so if you can not bend or straighten them or need to overcomepensate in order to move this means the tendons are about to degenerate" There are many ways to help with knee and joint problems most that I know involve warming the area to create circulation.

Can

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Although doctors advised against it, deadlifts and especially squats cured the bursitis I had for years in both knees. Using the leg press and other contraptions never made matters better, but learning to squat so that my thighs broke parallel at the bottom did wonders. I think the frequent advice to avoid such things is based in part on the assumption that people will not squat (or deadlift) correctly, will start with too much weight, or will do something else stupid that will worsen matters.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have seen any number of danaged knees in my line of work, and I can say the first step needs to be a medical visit to find out what's wrong. Once you know that, then you can explore the ways to remedy it.

Zida'sukara

Black Belt
Reaction score
I dont know what you think of this:

Plant : White Willow (Salix Alba)
Grows : Europe and north America
Contains : salicin (chemical working part of the plant)

Use by : pain, osteoarthritis, feber, helps lower infections, rheuma and bursitis(inflammation in the areas around your joints)

How to fix it: You should take 1 to 2 gram bast and boil it for 10 Minuts in 200 ml water. Than drink it as a thee, you should drink it almost 3 hours before you want to have it work as it is starting very slowly but works for hours, much much longer than an asperine. You can drink upto 5 theecups a day but I recommend to start with 1-2 cups and than increase slowly as your digestionsystem is not used to this yet.

With longterm daily use it can cause stomachproblems but far less and less dangerous than asperines. Use to much and you can get diarree or feel a bit nauseous.

You can ask your docter about it if you are not sure although normal docters do not like this way of healing here in Germany and Holland.

I sometimes prepare plants for pacticular uses and I can tell you that some of them truly work(sometimes even better than medicins.) I get the information from people who have a lot of experience in it and than I just try as long as I know they are not poison. With this willow there will be no danger for you but with other plants you have to watch out, when you want to experiment, and read about them because some of them can be poison.

ksmaguro

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have had knee issues for about 4 years now. Ever since I blew out an ACL at a seminar.
I have a PT routine that I do, but everyone should see a Physical Therapist to have the exercises tuned to their body.
In general, some good guidelines to adhere to follow.
When squating stop at the point when your thighs are parallel to the ground. If you pass that point adjust your feet toes out about 45 degrees.
Do not let your knees move ahead of your toes while squatting.
One of my problems was stairs. We, being of the Universe, look for the lazy way to apply things and taking stairs has short cuts. Like above, do not let your knees move past your toes when stepping up. Put your toes into the rise to prevent this. If it is still an issue, take the stairs by two. This also give you a good squat in the process.
When descending, make sure that you do not flair your knees outward; focus on a minor squat.
I am still pretty brutal to my knees, so I try and take it easy on them.
For pain relief, I rub Balur into the knees.
For joints in general, try not to forcefully hit "the air" to often. Work the motion to have the movement down, but if you really want to hit something, have a partner hold some sort of mitt/bag or hit a heavy bag.
Just my two cents.
Take care.

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Know of an ex- MLB catcher who swore by a shark cartilidge supplement for his knees. A co-worker who had sports related knee injuries used the same and said it worked pretty well.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Do your knees ache during or after excercise?

Something that hasn't been suggested here and can be helpful if your knees ache after excercise is ice packs. My husbands knees ache after he's run and he's been told it's ligament inflammation and has tried the ice pack method, it seems to work.

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I use a lot of ice myself Shaderon. I like the fact that there are no chemicals involved and it works well for me. I'm no healing expert but my understanding is that ice can be very useful with the first 24 to 36 hours of injury. It seems to be the most effective if I use it right after training.

As an aside, I tore a ligament in my foot ~6 months ago and I saw a doctor about it. He said that the ligament in your foot is probably the toughest tissue in your body. In order for NSAIDS to have an effect on swelling of this ligament you need to take very large doses. Ice, on the other hand, is able to easily penetrate and reduce the inflamation.

Ice... it's not just for cold drinks anymore.

Latest Discussions