Self-defense training methodology

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So. Howzabout we combine athletics and self-defense? I said this before.I have a drill wherein we practice knife disarms in rounds,vs single and multiple attackers (think Bull in the Ring and everyone surrounding the "bull" has a knife). The defender has to achieve "x" amount of disarms within a specific period of time....say 1- minute rounds (an ETERNITY uner those circumstances) repeated for say up to 5 rounds.I absolutely guarantee you that your students and anybody else will experience a sharp rise in knife disarming skills daily,and over a month's period of this drill? Insane increase in ability.Failure for the defender or attacker means punishment calisthenics.Result? You get in great shape,you learn knife disarms FAST,and this same principle applies flawlessly to maaany other SD scenarios.You can evade multiple knife wielding attackers and escape using this same principle.Etc. Etc.

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When becoming an edged weapon instructor for Boatman's program, we had to run the gauntlet of knife-armed attackers. By the time you were done, you were nothing but a big bruise from the middle of your forearm to the middle of your bicep.

During Ken Good's PCR program, who were thrown down so many times that massage was actually worked into the class on the fourth day because by then you were crawling into class! These courses were even more painful than the Israeli instructor courses...and those were flat out brutal.

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
When becoming an edged weapon instructor for Boatman's program, we had to run the gauntlet of knife-armed attackers. By the time you were done, you were nothing but a big bruise from the middle of your forearm to the middle of your bicep.

During Ken Good's PCR program, who were thrown down so many times that massage was actually worked into the class on the fourth day because by then you were crawling into class! These courses were even more painful than the Israeli instructor courses...and those were flat out brutal.

Sounds like a combination of athleticism and self-defense techs to me,lolol.My classes aren't superbrutal,but we do have a specific requirement of the number of disarms per round that we shoot for. Did you guys have he same? Or was it so brutal that the main goal was to nail the disarm regardless?

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a combination of athleticism and self-defense techs to me,lolol.My classes aren't superbrutal,but we do have a specific requirement of the number of disarms per round that we shoot for. Did you guys have he same? Or was it so brutal that the main goal was to nail the disarm regardless?

If the initial disarm failed the goal was to immediately do something else. In the real world mistakes can, and will happen. I've seen too many students fail the initial technique (whatever it may be) and then stop and want to 'reset' for the next go around. Nope, on the street we can't ask for a 'do-over', we have to keep on till it is over and we've won.

Mission = survival
Method = whatever it takes to accomplish the mission

:)

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kong Soo Do wrote

FYI Sonny Puzikas (who sometimes posts here on MT).

Regards
Brian King

Thank you, that's him :)

Guy has an arm about the girth of a pencil but can hit you in the chest hard enough to make you cave in on yourself! He uses a whipping motion like a wet dish rag that just sticks and stings. He popped a stocky SWAT guy in class as a demo, guy nearly crapped himself.

Lee Mainprize

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You'd have to say all things being equal the street fighter who is prepared and trains just for such is going to be able to deal with a real situation better just like the sports guy is going to kick the reality guys *** in the ring.

Me I am more of a sport fighter, I spar allot and enjoy it I train for me and can deal with 99% of attackers with my skills..that said I have trained reality based stuff too and close quarter combat but more for knowledge then my weekly training routine.

I enjoy the sport stuff more and am training for me not for the fights on the street.

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'd have to say all things being equal the street fighter who is prepared and trains just for such is going to be able to deal with a real situation better just like the sports guy is going to kick the reality guys *** in the ring.

Me I am more of a sport fighter, I spar allot and enjoy it I train for me and can deal with 99% of attackers with my skills..that said I have trained reality based stuff too and close quarter combat but more for knowledge then my weekly training routine.

I enjoy the sport stuff more and am training for me not for the fights on the street.

We have many training videos of inmates/convicts training each other in recreation yards, back loading docks etc. In talking with many 'sport' people, particularly in the TKD sections on boards, I don't think they really have an idea of the level of brutality they would be facing nor the quickness of the attack. They don't properly prepare for either. This doesn't mean the 'sport' guy is a wimp. As I've mentioned many times the 'sport' guy is usually tough and well conditioned and good at what they do i.e. sport fighting. Unfortunately, sport training is detrimental (for all the reasons I've listed in this and other threads) to facing a sudden, brutal attack by a determined attacker bent on causing as much damage as possible in the shortest amount of time possible.

Someone training for both sport and reality needs to be able to instantly 'flip the switch' mentally in order to face a real world determined attacker rather than an opponent. It is possible. Many don't think it's possible to train for both linear and circular movements, yet I regularly switch back and forth between linear and circular movements whilst in the middle of an altercations as the situation dictates.

And yes, a reality-only guy would be at a disadvantage in the ring because he/she would suddenly find themselves in an environment that has arbitrarily enforced rules. They'd likely injure the sport guy and be disqualified.

:uhyeah:

PeterSteeves

White Belt
Reaction score
I had an awesome time yesterday at a workshop held in California with Rory Miller. We spent a lot of time discussing, and a lot of time working physically with the topics of sudden, brutal attacks.

While I enjoyed it immensely, and his presentational style and information did mesh with my own life experiences, I am also curious about the opinions here from the MT forum folks. I tried to do a quick search for his name, but didn't initially find anything. So, if I can/should be redirected to such a thread, please let me know. Otherwise, I'd be happy to contribute with some of the ideas that we covered in Rory's seminar.

Peter Steeves

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Rory Miller is as good as it gets in real world self defense, and from keeping your butt out of trouble in the first place. He's a great educator, real top notch.

Latest Discussions