Self Defense from rape

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Alongside that is the fact that most rapes aren't 'stranger' rapes' but perpetrated by someone known to the victim.
I think too that we need a lot of education not just to prevent victims becoming victims but to stop rapists from becoming rapists, the onus is put on women to 'be careful', 'not to dress provocatively' , don't 'walk the streets alone' but we also need it to be known and recognised that rape is a crime and to have it treated as such with better sentencing, less judging of victims etc.
You have only included women in this post but men get raped too.

List of Rape Myths
When I made the comment I was actually thinking about the other side of the coin. Males get raped too. At a younger age and as adults. More so in prison, but it happens out of prison and sometimes by women. I've personally have seen cases of this in my neighborhood as a teen.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kick him in his dick. It hurts. Alot.

One of the worst pieces of advice ever given..... men who are about to attack ( or defend in different situations) will adjust their stance, protect their groin and do everything to protect themselves from strikes there. I have actually seen in different situations from MMA fights to arrest situations where someone is resisting, men who have been kicked/struck n the groin and they have carried on regardless. I'm sure the pain was quite obvious to them but adrenaline/drugs/alcohol/rage etc can carry someone over quite an enormous amount of pain. It can have the effect of making the attacker angry and therefore inflict more pain or attack harder. I wouldn't go for it as a first or only strike. There may be a point where you can strike to the groin but really you need to be able to be sure that it will be effective.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the worst pieces of advice ever given..... men who are about to attack ( or defend in different situations) will adjust their stance, protect their groin and do everything to protect themselves from strikes there. I have actually seen in different situations from MMA fights to arrest situations where someone is resisting, men who have been kicked/struck n the groin and they have carried on regardless. I'm sure the pain was quite obvious to them but adrenaline/drugs/alcohol/rage etc can carry someone over quite an enormous amount of pain. It can have the effect of making the attacker angry and therefore inflict more pain or attack harder. I wouldn't go for it as a first or only strike. There may be a point where you can strike to the groin but really you need to be able to be sure that it will be effective.
If a good groin shot is available, I'd take it. Then, just like a left hook to the liver, I'd keep following up until they were done. If that one shot did the trick (possble in either case, but not reliable), then I get to stop sooner.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If a good groin shot is available, I'd take it

As I said so would I but it's not a one shot wonder which stops the attacker on the spot as was implied in senseiblackbelt's post. Too many SD 'experts' tell students to do this and they really, really shouldn't.

OP
ShortBridge

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
In my experience, by the age of 14, male humans develop an uncanny ability to avoid getting kicked in the junk.

If it's there, take it, just like anything else and keep going.

So, the actual woman in this article was on local news this week talking about the incident. She took quite a beating too, which didn't quite come across in the article. It was a fight and she has my admiration.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
In my experience, by the age of 14, male humans develop an uncanny ability to avoid getting kicked in the junk.

If it's there, take it, just like anything else and keep going.

So, the actual woman in this article was on local news this week talking about the incident. She took quite a beating too, which didn't quite come across in the article. It was a fight and she has my admiration.
I saw that story, too.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had a long and detailed response to this with medical sources and videos but my browser crashed. Here's the short version
There are 2 types of pains a man will feel.
1. Creeping pain that gradually gets worst - this is the pain that guys may be able to stay on their feet and struggle, but it makes us weak.
2. Instant pain - This is a sharp instant pain. There's nothing a guy can do to fight against this type of pain. He would literally have to be on some kind of drug to ignore this pain. There's no way that a person can fight through it anymore than a person getting a tooth pick stuck in their open eye during a fight.

The reason why people think groin strikes are ineffective is because they are looking at unsuccessful strikes to the testicles. If you strike the testicles with a solid hit then he'll mostly likely feel #2 Depending on how the strike is, it may cause a testicular rupture. As a guy speaking about the pain, if you got a clear shot then go for it. If you are successful at striking the testicle then you will instantly end the fight.

The only thing I would warn is to think of groin shots as the only thing that needs to be done. At a very minimum a groin strike or attempted groin strike will disrupt an attack. This disruption needs to be taken advantage of. If a guy is busy trying to avoid having his testicles then for that instant he's not attacking. Most attackers pick people who they believe are weaker than them, which increases the chance of success. If the person can deliver a good kick or knee (meaning they train these strikes) then even a miss can be effective in either stopping or slowing the person down.

While being kicked on the penis is not as bad as being kicked on the testicles, it's not fun either.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As I said so would I but it's not a one shot wonder which stops the attacker on the spot as was implied in senseiblackbelt's post. Too many SD 'experts' tell students to do this and they really, really shouldn't.
I teach student 5 different ways to strike the testicle., Foot, open hand, fist, knee, and grab. I don't speak of it as a "magic strike". I let them know right away that it only works if the strike gets a solid hit on the testicle. I don't use a red man suit when I do self-defense training. So when they do groin strikes on me, the knee and the foot, then they can see me naturally react to avoid it. I think this is important in understanding the challenges with groin strikes.

For me the idea strike would be to use the hand to strike and grab, crush then pull.

Fun fact: Animal Predators (wolf, wild dog, and big cat families) will often target the genitals of their prey if it's an option. This is why.

Human males are no different.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He would literally have to be on some kind of drug to ignore this pain.

As were some of the people resisting arrest I was telling you about. Adrenaline also acts as a drug, along with alcohol and rage. If tasering doesn't put them down first time, a groin shot is unlikely to.

The only thing I would warn is to think of groin shots as the only thing that needs to be done

That was what I was saying, so often the instruction is 'a strike to the groin' will do it, well no, because even if it's bang on target the guy goes down if you are standing there thinking he's finished and you're safe...you're not.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As were some of the people resisting arrest I was telling you about. Adrenaline also acts as a drug, along with alcohol and rage. If tasering doesn't put them down first time, a groin shot is unlikely to.

That was what I was saying, so often the instruction is 'a strike to the groin' will do it, well no, because even if it's bang on target the guy goes down if you are standing there thinking he's finished and you're safe...you're not.
Do women worry about the same thing? I know we are always saying to kick men in the groin but does it work as equally well to kick women in the groin? Say woman fighting against another woman.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Do it anyway. knock him unconsious first if you have to. Then kick him in the dick.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do women worry about the same thing? I know we are always saying to kick men in the groin but does it work as equally well to kick women in the groin? Say woman fighting against another woman.

Not so much, hitting the pubic bone hurts though, hitting the breasts hurts too but neither as much as many think.

Rather than 'hitting' the penis, I was taught how to 'break' it under rape conditions, yes really. It's a very nasty injury ( I've had some nasty instructors lol) Probably best not to think about it too much.

senseiblackbelt

Green Belt
Reaction score

ok but lets say hypotheically someone was rapin - god forbid- someone, rapist was defenceless wasnt in a stance, why not go for his dick? problem solved.

Im struglling to understand how someone can continue to try and rape someone when there balls are killing.

senseiblackbelt

Green Belt
Reaction score

by the way, i like your profile pic.

senseiblackbelt

Green Belt
Reaction score

reckon it could since a female vagina is sensitive..

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
reckon it could since a female vagina is sensitive..

It is impossible to kick or strike a vagina it's located inside the body. Many rapists do use objects to penetrate their victims as this is often more damaging and humiliating.

senseiblackbelt

Green Belt
Reaction score
It is impossible to kick or strike a vagina it's located inside the body. Many rapists do use objects to penetrate their victims as this is often more damaging and humiliating.

Rape is a really bad thing. Being told what some bad people do there poor victims is.. traumatizing. But really there needs to be more awareness of proper useful sd techniques

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok but lets say hypotheically someone was rapin - god forbid- someone, rapist was defenceless wasnt in a stance, why not go for his dick? problem solved.

Im struglling to understand how someone can continue to try and rape someone when there balls are killing.
No one has said never to use it. We just don't like that some see it as a magic response. If it's there, use it. But don't depend upon it being there. And don't depend upon it to incapacitate them. If you get the shot, and hit the testicles, it will probably work. Just don't assume either of those conditions will always be true.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rape is a really bad thing. Being told what some bad people do there poor victims is.. traumatizing. But really there needs to be more awareness of proper useful sd techniques

Rape isn't about sex, it's about having power over your victim and hurting them in ways that also humiliate them.
Self defence is never bad but we also need to take into account that sometimes the best self defence is not to resist or fight back. It must be accepted that the victim should be respected for whatever action they take because they and only they can decide on the way they deal with it based on their situation, their instincts and their strength. We must never tell people that if they don't fight it wasn't rape, we must never tell people who aren't beaten up because they chose to take a passive way that they were wrong, they are never wrong.

Latest Discussions