Self Defense for Women

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
BraxLimbo

BraxLimbo

White Belt
Reaction score
I think the media uses What it thinks will,work. If they think sex sells they use it. If donkeys dressed as carrots worked then they would use that. Its less about sex more about money

Absolutely right. I think it's not the media that caused the whole "objectifying girls and women" thing. It's the people viewing, reading, buying and loving these themes which makes it so popular these days that even the media backs it up. The media needs something that people will talk about, whether negatively or not. Talking is what brings popularity and ultimately money.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folks, this is not a thread for debate about gun control.
If you want to engage in political debate, do it in the appropriate forum. Which MartialTalk is not.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Folks, this is not a thread for debate about gun control.
apparently it is since there is like 4 pages of it
If you want to engage in political debate, do it in the appropriate forum. Which MartialTalk is not.
I think its very appropriate since a gun is the most effective form of self-defense

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think its very appropriate since a gun is the most effective form of self-defense
Considering that the majority of people in the world don't have access to guns, how can it be the most effective form of self defence?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weapons can be effective in some cases but the majority of attacks on women are done by someone the woman knows and wouldn't think to use their guns on. They probably wouldn't at first think to use self defence techniques either.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Considering that the majority of people in the world don't have access to guns, how can it be the most effective form of self defence?
A firearm is the great equalizer. A 5 ft tall 90 pound 13 year old and drop a 6'4 350 pound man in seconds. No other form of self defense has that capability. I didnt say it was the most common form only the most effective.

Last edited:

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A firearm is the great equalizer. A 5 ft tall 90 pound 13 year old and drop a 6'4 350 pound man in seconds. No other form of self defense has that capability. I didnt say it was the most common form only the most effective.
Would training be needed for the 5 ft 13yo to be effective and equal in this case to the 6'4?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Weapons can be effective in some cases but the majority of attacks on women are done by someone the woman knows and wouldn't think to use their guns on. They probably wouldn't at first think to use self defence techniques either.
Id even say most people in general don't fight back regardless if they know the attacker or not.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Add on the fact that many people store their guns unloaded and locked in their homes, that makes it even more difficult for a woman to utilize a firearm in a bad situation.

Chokes work wonders though. I also think most women would prefer to put their assailant to sleep instead of blowing their head off.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Would training be needed for the 5 ft 13yo to be effective and equal in this case to the 6'4?
training to shoot a gun? Sure I start teaching my kids to shoot at 5. My daughter is 12 now and is very proficient with handguns rifles and shotguns. She 4'6 maybe 80 pounds and I have no doubt should could drop a man. She dropped a 180-pound deer last week.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Add on the fact that many people store their guns unloaded and locked in their homes, that makes it even more difficult for a woman to utilize a firearm in a bad situation.
says who? I know alot of people that keep a loaded gun on the house for easy access. Its kinda pointless to keep it unloaded in a safe for the reason you already pointed out.
Chokes work wonders though. I also think most women would prefer to put their assailant to sleep instead of blowing their head off.
Well of course nobody wants to kill anyone but its alot easier to keep distance and draw a gun then to get close grapple with an attacker to get to a position to choke him out

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
says who? I know alot of people that keep a loaded gun on the house for easy access. Its kinda pointless to keep it unloaded in a safe for the reason you already pointed out.

The point would be to make sure young children don't get a hold of them and accidentally shoot someone. Also some states have laws regarding unsecured firearms in the home.

Well of course nobody wants to kill anyone but its alot easier to keep distance and draw a gun then to get close grapple with an attacker to get to a position to choke him out

I would actually disagree. Women tend to end up in grappling range pretty consistently in bad situations.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The point would be to make sure young children don't get a hold of them and accidentally shoot someone. Also some states have laws regarding unsecured firearms in the home.
Keeping out of a childs hand and sto; accessible to the adult is easy to do. Add that to teaching kids about guns and its not an issue.

I would actually disagree. Women tend to end up in grappling range pretty consistently in bad situations.
because they are not training to create distance and draw a weapon.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Id even say most people in general don't fight back regardless if they know the attacker or not.

True enough for a number of reasons. women are often told not to fight back and it would be easier for them, however they are also told to fight back because without bruises etc they won't be believed, a no win situation for women basically because whatever advice they follow it could end badly.
We had a Fijian female soldier come and train with us, she was tall and very strong and muscular, she could after a bit of training throw most of our men, she punched like a pro and was quite scary when sparring but she would also get beaten up by her Fijian boyfriend, also a soldier. she could have taken him on easily but because of cultural traditions she didn't. Nothing we said ( nor the army) could change this for her, she just couldn't see how it was wrong or how and why she should change the situation. It was frustrating to say the least for us.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you want to discuss the pros and cons of using a firearm when it comes to women's self-defense, please feel free to do so. It can certainly be a relevant part of the subject matter.

If you want to discuss the politics of firearms, then please take it elsewhere. While some political discussion will trickle in, that could be acceptable, for example, someone saying that firearms are illegal in my country, or I can't get a permit, the promotion of pro or anti-gun causes is better suited elsewhere.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Keeping out of a childs hand and sto; accessible to the adult is easy to do.

Yeah, it's called locking the weapon away, typically unloaded. Even if you have it unlocked and loaded, it's pretty unlikely you're going to be carrying a loaded weapon on you at all times.

because they are not training to create distance and draw a weapon.

Draw a weapon from where exactly? You think women are walking around with guns holstered at their sides? That's not even common in America, much less countries where firearms are illegal. Even if that were the case, you still have to maintain distance, draw the gun, make sure the safety is off, and aim the weapon.

If the gun isn't on your person, you need to reach for the gun (wherever it may be), and perform all the steps above. But again, women tend to not carry loaded guns while jogging, out on a date, or sitting at home watching Netflix.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I soooo want to get in on this debate. But I ain't gonna'. Nope, not going to do it.

Let's talk religion and politics instead. Drunk. Yeah, that's the ticket.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, it's called locking the weapon away, typically unloaded. Even if you have it unlocked and loaded, it's pretty unlikely you're going to be carrying a loaded weapon on you at all times.
except millions of homes have guns loaded and atthe ready so your wrong.

Draw a weapon from where exactly? You think women are walking around with guns holstered at their sides? That's not even common in America,
Really? I know plenty of woman that have guns on them. There is an entire industry dealing with woman conceal carry. Just because your not familiar with them doesn't make it true. 300,000,000 million Guns in America your pretty naive if you believe woman are not carrying guns.
much less countries where firearms are illegal.
I couldnt care less about other countries
Even if that were the case, you still have to maintain distance, draw the gun,
About 4 to 6 inches is pleanty in an emergency
make sure the safety is off
Unless it has no mechanical safety
, and aim the weapon.
not at the distance were talking about
If the gun isn't on your person, you need to reach for the gun (wherever it may be), and perform all the steps above.
nope again your talking out your backside
But again, women tend to not carry loaded guns while jogging, out on a date, or sitting at home watching Netflix.
How do you know? just because you are afraid of guns dont be surprised that woman are not

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you want to discuss the pros and cons of using a firearm when it comes to women's self-defense, please feel free to do so. It can certainly be a relevant part of the subject matter.
we are
If you want to discuss the politics of firearms, then please take it elsewhere. While some political discussion will trickle in, that could be acceptable, for example, someone saying that firearms are illegal in my country, or I can't get a permit, the promotion of pro or anti-gun causes is better suited elsewhere.
we did

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions