Self defense against a cougar

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd stick with the handgun anyway. Because these animals are ambush hunters. Basically, by the time you see it, it's likely to be too close to get the muzzle of the rifle in line. If it's far enough away to use a long gun, it's not hunting you and you should leave it alone.
We have a fairly severe coyote problem in middle TN. Been that way as long as I can remember. I never leave home without a pistol and a long arm.
It is on hold right now, but we used to get a minimum of $22 for each coyote. More for a good pelt but that conduit has closed since the state quit paying. The problem is that bad. If you see one you shoot it, no questions asked or considerations made. There are provisions in our state law that allows crossing property lines with just cause in regard to coyote's. They are very invasive opportunists. I have never heard of a person being attacked but they will devastate livestock.
We have a lot of foxes but they are usually more of an asset, chickens excluded. You occasionally see a wolf. Have heard of panthers in our area all my life but have never seen one so it is reasonable to think it could be a mountain lion.

tim po

Green Belt
Reaction score
We have a fairly severe coyote problem in middle TN. Been that way as long as I can remember. I never leave home without a pistol and a long arm.
It is on hold right now, but we used to get a minimum of $22 for each coyote. More for a good pelt but that conduit has closed since the state quit paying. The problem is that bad. If you see one you shoot it, no questions asked or considerations made. There are provisions in our state law that allows crossing property lines with just cause in regard to coyote's. They are very invasive opportunists. I have never heard of a person being attacked but they will devastate livestock.
We have a lot of foxes but they are usually more of an asset, chickens excluded. You occasionally see a wolf. Have heard of panthers in our area all my life but have never seen one so it is reasonable to think it could be a mountain lion.
a wolf in TN? I have not heard there are legitamate wolves in the eastern US, but remember that these may not be actual coyotes either. in the NE, they are being called coy-wolves, as it is believed that the eastern coyote, while it was extinct in the eastern US survived in NE Canada, where there was inter-species breeding with red wolves. highly unlikely and very rare, but known to be possible and produce a reasonably stable offspring on rare occasions. 30 years ago i used to see more coyotes that more closely resembled the red wolf in size and marking, even the tawny red color in summer, but it seems to me now i see more large coyote than small wolf, they may be losing some of the genetic traits of the wolf over time. but this has been verified by their teeth and skull shape, they have very different teeth than coyotes in the west.
in the NE we have such a problem with ticks that wild animals are suffering terribly from lyme disease. i think it is why coyote problems have been fewer up here. they don't live very long.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
a wolf in TN? I have not heard there are legitamate wolves in the eastern US, but remember that these may not be actual coyotes either. in the NE, they are being called coy-wolves, as it is believed that the eastern coyote, while it was extinct in the eastern US survived in NE Canada, where there was inter-species breeding with red wolves. highly unlikely and very rare, but known to be possible and produce a reasonably stable offspring on rare occasions. 30 years ago i used to see more coyotes that more closely resembled the red wolf in size and marking, even the tawny red color in summer, but it seems to me now i see more large coyote than small wolf, they may be losing some of the genetic traits of the wolf over time. but this has been verified by their teeth and skull shape, they have very different teeth than coyotes in the west.
in the NE we have such a problem with ticks that wild animals are suffering terribly from lyme disease. i think it is why coyote problems have been fewer up here. they don't live very long.
That could very well be the case here. You occasionally see an animal that is way to large to be thought of as a coyote.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A general thing I mention whenever I see the topic come up-please try not to either feed or hunt wolves. They are important for specific ecosystems, and those ecosystems have been getting messed up by the lack of wolves out there, while the fish and wildlife service is actively trying to get the numbers up. Doubt that's true for coyote or hybrids, but if you think it's specifically just a wolf, try not to hunt it.

Similarly, don't feed it/encourage it to stick around, for more than just the obvious reasons. Wolves that are released and/or caught often have trackers on them, and if they notice that the wolf is hanging around a specific area, they'll likely come by and see why. Last I recall hearing about it, they'd recently arrested someone for feeding wolves when they discovered multiple wolves continuing to come into a specific residential area (not sure if it was first offense).

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a wax oak spear pole. I made it shorter for hiking. I always attach the spear head on my hiking stick when I hike by myself. Other hikers always give a weird look when they see me. So I take my spear head off when others are around. How to protect myself in the woods against grizzly bear is always my concern. I have less fear with mountain lion than grizzly bear.
Bear spray. Cheap and effective.

MrBigglesworth

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Latest Discussions