Man vs. Beast III

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh yeah, that is a big animal, no doubt. The SF zoo also has bengals, and they look like house cats in comparison to the aimur. They also have a lion that weighs in around 550, which I believe is about 50-100 more than is typical. Big Kitty, those fellows!
I’m a tiger and cougar guy. Not a fan of lions, jags or leopards with a few exceptions. Tigers tend to be honest as long as you keep facing them, they tell you how they feel about you. Lions ignore unless they already know you or you are limping. Jags are famous liars, they roll around and tell you they love you to get you closer. Leopards run the gamut, anything can happen at any time. Many captive big cats pick a person they like, some pick a gender . I ended up with an Asian leopard in my section who hated women, I also ended up with a tiger named Tibor because he liked me, but hated every other human. Many of the primate keepers are women because they tend to get better reactions from adult male primates. In the rescue rehab facility I worked at, keepers had a lot of open contact and the public was not usually allowed to enter the compound. We had quite a few animals there that had injured or killed people. Ad Seg. For cats was called “bad cat row” and it was simply enclosures inside of enclosures to insure that no one could get too close. Make no mistake about it, they can catch and kill you through the cage if you get too close. Chain link can stretch, and they know just how far they can reach.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh yeah, that is a big animal, no doubt. The SF zoo also has bengals, and they look like house cats in comparison to the aimur. They also have a lion that weighs in around 550, which I believe is about 50-100 more than is typical. Big Kitty, those fellows!
Look up Barbary lion. Those were the really big ones. Genetically wiped out.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Look up Barbary lion. Those were the really big ones. Genetically wiped out.
Yeah, true that unfortunately. The extinct American Lion from the Pleistocene was something like 20-25% heavier than today’s African lions. Interesting to think that those fellows were roaming our neighborhood in the distant past.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was before that, I think. I may have gotten confused, which I do from time to time. My ride was much slower and cheaper. A 63 Austin Healey Sprite! I loved that car and it did well in my class.
Engine swaps do happen though, which is why I asked.
wasn't their 6 cylinder a dual over head cam before that?
In another example of the weird design choices Jag has made over the years, they started out with the correct choice (DOHC) in 1948. Then perhaps because of too many pints over lunch, they decided to switch to single OHC engines in 1984. Which, of course, meant less power. Because that's certainly what you want in your gorgeous, sexy, convertible sports car. DOHC was an option. I don't know how many buyers chose which option, but I suspect they sold most with the DOHC.
Personally, I've never been a purist. As collectible as the E-body jags are, I'd dearly love to find one that was NOT numbers matching (to avoid the lynch mob of purists) and swap in an LS and a 6-speed. That body with a modern driveline? Sign me up!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree.

Ever seen The Revenant? That's exactly how I would expect my death by bear to go down.
I was actually thinking about that while reading this thread. I know it was a movie and was done with special effects, but I suspect it wasn’t too far removed from how it would have gone down for real. If anything, it might have been too gentle. Perhaps first impact would have snapped DiCaprio’s neck and it would have simply been all over. And that bear was by no means one of the biggest, wasn’t a Kodiak brown.

tim po

Green Belt
Reaction score
worked on a farm growing up, orchards, bakery farm store, animals but they were more of a 'petting zoo' (but no one could actually reach them). nonetheless, when the sheep, goats and pigs 'came of age'...they went to a different farm...
in spring we had to round up the babies, for the children to oogle. rounding up a couple dozen lambs, kids and piglets running free in a half-acre enclosure was a hootanany in itself, if only someone was sitting on the fence lickin' a banjo while we were at it!

anyway after the youngin's it was time to round up the grown-ups for their final journey. there was only one pig slated to go, a 400lb sow we called 'Wilbur" (none of us farm hands knew she was a sow until that day). Wilbur the sow was not at all interested in compliance. one by one more people showed up to join in. even the guys from the shop came up, including Thomas, a young and rather slowish fellow.

when there were maybe 15 of us, we managed to hem her in and corner her. we closed the semicircle and began to close in.

I know pigs are intelligent animals, and I even personally feel that all large mammals gain a sense of sentience if they live long enough. She knew exactly what was going on. she looked at each one of us in turn, right in the eyes, going back and forth until she literally did a double take, and zeroed in on poor Thomas. he saw it, too. he was already pale and pasty but i swear he got paler and pastier, and literally started shaking and backing up.. she was probably moving at least 40mph when she hit him. i'll never forget how far in the air he flew and how long he hung there, body parallel to the ground, arms and legs akimbo..then SLAM back to the ground.. he lived. but i'll bet he never ate bacon again!

moral of the story: large animals=terrifyingly powerful. even herbivores!