Seeking out kwan leaders

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was having a discussion last night and it came out that not many out there have taken the time to seek out their kwan leaders or even their kwan seniors. In fact, I have had several situations where I have actively encouraged other practitioners to seek out their kwan leaders, only to be told that they cannot, not at this time, for whatever reason. And yet, there is so much interest in kwan and kwan history out there.

So my questions are: Has anyone gone out and made a conscious effort to contact their kwan leaders? If so, what did those efforts entail? Were you successful? If you have not sought out your kwan leaders, why not?

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No idea who my Kwan leader is, at the moment. I've only become interested in knowing this from talking to you and Mastercole.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have met GM PARK Hae Man on two occasions. I imagine that GM UHM Woon Kyu spends most of his time in Korea. I've not yet gone to Korea, but I would seek him out if I went.

I'm learning more about who the CDK leaders are &, perhaps, seeking them out.

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have met GM PARK Hae Man on two occasions.

Was that at a seminar hosted by someone else? Have you kept in touch with GM Park since those two occasions?

I imagine that GM UHM Woon Kyu spends most of his time in Korea. I've not yet gone to Korea, but I would seek him out if I went.

If you were going to Korea, how would you seek GM Uhm out? Do you have his contact information?

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Always learning...

I wonder if that'd still be my Kwan lineage now that I'm no longer under Park. Either way we have little to do with any Kwan or GM now so I think Park is the best way to decide these things for me. And no, I have never spoken to GM Kim Soon Bae unfortunately. Or GM Kim Sun Ku. I'd like to change that someday. Closest I have come is a conversation or two over the years with my current GM, GM Woo Young Jung.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am already learning from an KKW master right now. I believe that to be sufficient at this time.

I AM interested in kwan era TKD (what it was like, how was it trained, etc.) but you've said that the senior pioneers are not interested in talking about the past in this fashion, so...

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wonder if that'd still be my Kwan lineage now that I'm no longer under Park. Either way we have little to do with any Kwan or GM now so I think Park is the best way to decide these things for me. And no, I have never spoken to GM Kim Soon Bae unfortunately. Or GM Kim Sun Ku. I'd like to change that someday. Closest I have come is a conversation or two over the years with my current GM, GM Woo Young Jung.

Of course that is still in your kwan lineage. What kwan is GM Jung from?

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am already learning from an KKW master right now. I believe that to be sufficient at this time.

What kwan is your kukkiwon master from? Can he trace his lineage to the kwan founder?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What kwan is your kukkiwon master from? Can he trace his lineage to the kwan founder?

I haven't asked yet. I got the impression that most KKW people had suborned the importance of their kwan lineage in favor of being certified through the KKW, so it may be an issue of no importance or barring that some sensitivity.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
Always learning...

Here is some article from Kukkiwon about GM KIM Soon Bae.

KIMSoonBae1.jpg
[/IMG]
KIMSoonBae2.jpg
[/IMG]
KIMSoonBae3.jpg
[/IMG]
KIMSoonBae4.jpg
[/IMG]

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Was that at a seminar hosted by someone else? Have you kept in touch with GM Park since those two occasions?

If you were going to Korea, how would you seek GM Uhm out? Do you have his contact information?

I met GM Park at seminars held by my GM (Edward Sell). I have not been in touch with him since. It was a memorable event for me. I doubt that he'd remember me, however. As far as GM UHM's info, I'd speak to GM Sell for that.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
I met GM Park at seminars held by my GM (Edward Sell). I have not been in touch with him since. It was a memorable event for me. I doubt that he'd remember me, however. As far as GM UHM's info, I'd speak to GM Sell for that.

GM Sell is a really great guy. I end up seeing him when we are out of the USA but I never saw him here at home. He is a very historical person. He was one of the signers that formed the World Taekwondo Federation. Here is a photo of us together in Korea for a Kukkiwon International Advisory meeting. I am the one in the dark shirt standing right behind GM Sell.

Foriegnadvisorskukkiwon.jpg
[/IMG]

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
While not my Kwan Leaders I made an effort to seek out Han Cha Kyo. Had a few short conversations with him and sadly he died before I really got to know him better. I then decided to seek out Nam Tae Hi and tracked him down having several conversations with him resulting in the TKD Times article. Have also sought out K.S. Shin for some topics about the "old days" .

Ultimately I got off my but and travel to be in class with General Choi on various occasions. Then I hosted him for a course.

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is that the same Shin who owns Bear Brand?

Yes it is. For the longest time, bear brand was the only available brand that carried vnecks in the US. It was made of horrible polyester material which stuck to your skin. I bought two, and still have one that is in the original bag. is the company still around?

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I haven't asked yet. I got the impression that most KKW people had suborned the importance of their kwan lineage in favor of being certified through the KKW, so it may be an issue of no importance or barring that some sensitivity.

In Korea, the kwan system is slowly being replaced by what college you graduated from. In the US, the kwan system is alive and well.

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I then decided to seek out Nam Tae Hi and tracked him down having several conversations with him resulting in the TKD Times article.

Do you still keep in touch with him? I hear he moved to Los Angeles but don't have his address anymore. We used to send each other christmas cards for at least 10 or more years, when he lived in Chicago.

Latest Discussions