seeeking further knowledge

S

shane m price

I've studied American Kenpo for four years. Out of respect to my instructors they will remain nameless. I am truely confident that the training I have received from them is what Mr. Parker intended to be passed on.

The question I need answerd pertains to the folllowing.....

I recently viewed an instructional video by a man known as Michael Lambert, one of Larry Tatums top students. I'm extremly interested in what I saw. The question is... would it be dishonerable for me to purchase these videos, knowing full well I have already been training with some of the old mans top students.

Basically all I'm after is as much information that I can get.

Some one please give me some feed back.

I carry the rank of second degree brown in the Parker/Planas lineage. If this is not disrespectful at my rank, what would be the most beneficial materials to purchase from Michael Lambert's video library? If it is considered disrespectful, please help me understand why.

Salute,
Shane Price

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I do not consider it disrespectful. You are not using the videos to replace your instructor(s). You would still be training at your school under your instructors and getting your hands-on knowledge through them.

Mr. Ed Parker has always been of the philosophy that the martial art is to fit the artist, not the artist to the martial art. You can broaden your horizon by watching videotapes to gain some ideas. Expanding your knowledge base is a good thing and getting information that you may use to graft onto your techniques can only help you improve.

As to which videotapes are the best to watch, I cannot answer that. I can only say that Mr. Larry Tatum has an excellent reputation for training his students.

- Ceicei

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Buy the videos, whatever ones you want. There is alot of diversity in kenpo, videos are just one way to take a peek at it.

Lamont

OP
S

shane m price

Thanks alot you guys I really appreciate your time.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
By all means purchase the whichever videos you would like. All of Mr. Parker's students have something to offer. There's a list of them that I would like to purchase and others that I would like to see them make some videos. Don't feel bad about any of the videos you may own.
:)
:partyon:

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely purcahse the videos. If your teachers are as good as you say they will take it as a compliment that they have inspired you to further your knowledge of Kenpo. Just as saya teacehr of history would be glad they inspired you to go out and buy some books ona particular subject they have been teaching.
However, just a small bit of advice. What you don't want to do is to arguue with your teachers,ie "But that's not how they do it on the video!". Its also not god to try to accelrate your learning by using the video to learn techniques, or forms, your instructors have yet to introduce. Other than that, using the videos as a reference, or to deepen your knowledge is a good idea.

Brian Jones

OP
S

shane m price

jfarnsworth said:
By all means purchase the whichever videos you would like. All of Mr. Parker's students have something to offer. There's a list of them that I would like to purchase and others that I would like to see them make some videos. Don't feel bad about any of the videos you may own.
:)
:partyon:

I think I may have a little somthing you may be interested in.
I'll bring it monday.
icon7.gif

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I no longer study Kenpo, but it is still dear to my heart. And a master in my system says, "Have one Master but learn from many." Would you Kenpoka agree to that?

:asian:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shane m price said:
I'll bring it monday.
Cool! I'm interested. Thanks for showing up to my class today. Hopefully everyone went away learning somethin' :) You got me a little too tired out trying to do all that ground work and didn't leave me enough to spar with. :)
See you monday!

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I no longer study Kenpo, but it is still dear to my heart. And a master in my system says, "Have one Master but learn from many." Would you Kenpoka agree to that?
I like that quote! :asian:

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Shane,

I like to look at other ways to look at Kenpo and other martial arts and then bring them back to class and play with them. Mr. Hatfield likes to look at techniques and different ways to approach them.

Thanks for coming to class today,

Jeff :ultracool

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shane m price said:
I'll bring it monday.
BTW, I decided that I'm staying for your class on monday!

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shane m price said:

I was quite pleased! Thanks for bringing it. Before I give it back to you I'd like to show it to Kurt first!

See 'ya tomorrow.

OP
S

shane m price

jfarnsworth said:
I was quite pleased! Thanks for bringing it. Before I give it back to you I'd like to show it to Kurt first!

See 'ya tomorrow.

Take all the time you need!! Are you coming in tonight?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just to offer a counter point. I would be carefull about what you change in your art as a result of watching a video. Take the time to discuss with your intructor what you saw, what you want to start doing, and ask questions. Forms and Techs all have what my intructor has termed the "signiture" of the person whom taught it to you. Don't scribble out the signiture until you are sure it needs to happen, and have a darn good reason why.
Sean

OP
S

shane m price

Touch'O'Death said:
Just to offer a counter point. I would be carefull about what you change in your art as a result of watching a video. Take the time to discuss with your intructor what you saw, what you want to start doing, and ask questions. Forms and Techs all have what my intructor has termed the "signiture" of the person whom taught it to you. Don't scribble out the signiture until you are sure it needs to happen, and have a darn good reason why.
Sean

Absolutely, thanks makes alot of sense!!

Latest Discussions