Secrets of Grappling training for Wing Chun!

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

Several people train other art with Wing Chun training.

I am one of them.

A question was posed as to the benefits of such training, specifically sports of combat. This includes BJJ, wrestling (greco and or freestyle), judo and jujitsu. Also boxing, muay thai and MMA.

Here is my response to that question. Specifically the grappling part. Looking forward to your responses. I know some of you do train in a similar way.

Here goes:

------------------------------------------------

Greetings!

The answer in the case of my students and me is that yes grappling helps getting more fluid in contact manipulation... specially if you hadn't trained against full power resistance before.

If you have and constantly do, then it is a very good, fun workout and teaches you what the grappling mindset is, its strenghts and weaknesses.

Also, if you practice lots of BJJ, if it doesn't have the standing grappling/clinch dominance game, you'll be practicing to go to the ground on your terms instead of effectively controlling your space.

That means that whatever happens is controlled by you and decided by you.

Many techniques have the capacity of making the attacker clinch and hug you as a natural reaction to being hit... like a boxer getting hit and clinching in a match.

If that isn't addressed, a forceful clinch after an initial hit that doesn't finish the opponenet can smother any subsequent sequence.

So clinching experience is good to have... but better yet, learning to control your space at every second of a self defense technique is better.

and obviously, staying on your feet and keeping your mobility is paramount to survival to any combat situation.

Hope this helps!
Sincerely,

Juan M. Mercado

Latest Discussions