Secrecy in Kung Fu Today/ arrogance in MA's

knuckleheader

Green Belt
Reaction score
It seems to me Kung Fu schools and teachers still cloak themselves in secrecy.
Also, my experience with one School in the Poconos, Pa. Came off as cocky.
Why after many years involvement with martial arts, is this so?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Care to describe the behavior you have seen?

My experience has been that my teachers have been very open and not secretive, although one of them keeps a low profile and only teaches a small number of students now. But if you are his student, he gives you the goods.

I think Western society expects everything to be handed to us on a silver platter, if we are willing to hand over some money. We expect to be allowed to see and do everything and anything that our impulse dictates. But that aint always so. A lot of people dont feel their martial arts are meant to be performance art or something to be put on display. So they dont want to show it to every fellow who just wants to gawk for a moment. We arent performing monkeys.

But for someone who is truly interested and might genuinely wish to train the method, we are very open. Nothing is kept secret just for the sake of secrecy, although you wont be taught certain things until you are ready, meaning that you have put in the work to build the proper foundation skills and you have some context for it.

There is no point in trying to impress you with Calculus when you are still working on your Pre-Algebra.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It seems to me Kung Fu schools and teachers still cloak themselves in secrecy.
A: Dad! What's the proper procedure to devoice my wife?
B: Son! You have to find a wife first. You should not worry about it when you are only 6 years old.

A: Dear sir! Could you teach me how to counter a take down?
B: I'll teach you the take down counter after you have learned the take down and be able to use it on the mat.

Koryuhoka

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My experience has been that the ones who are the most secretive, are the ones who have the least knowledge and understanding or their art.

I am not one to let the public see my art, but I endeavor to transmit all to anyone who would want to study my art from me.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is no point in trying to impress you with Calculus when you are still working on your Pre-Algebra.
The secret is not how to develop a certain technique. The secret is how to enhance it. Most of the technique enhancement is hard and boring training that the general public don't want to get into it.

A: Dear master! I want to learn the sword skill from you.
B: You need to go into the woods, use your sword to chop down 1000 tree branches before I can teach you the sword skill.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Care to describe the behavior you have seen?

My experience has been that my teachers have been very open and not secretive, although one of them keeps a low profile and only teaches a small number of students now. But if you are his student, he gives you the goods.

I think Western society expects everything to be handed to us on a silver platter, if we are willing to hand over some money. We expect to be allowed to see and do everything and anything that our impulse dictates. But that aint always so. A lot of people dont feel their martial arts are meant to be performance art or something to be put on display. So they dont want to show it to every fellow who just wants to gawk for a moment. We arent performing monkeys.

But for someone who is truly interested and might genuinely wish to train the method, we are very open. Nothing is kept secret just for the sake of secrecy, although you wont be taught certain things until you are ready, meaning that you have put in the work to build the proper foundation skills and you have some context for it.

yup

took me a few years to figure out my Yang Shifu had a better understanding of what I was ready to learn that I did. Just because I thought I wanted to learn something specific did not mean I was ready to learn it, or understand it

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just because I thought I wanted to learn something specific did not mean I was ready to learn it, or understand it
The day you start to look at every MA move as principle instead of technique, the day that you truly start learning.

The striking art can be as simple as to guide your opponent's arms away from your entering path, you then attack the opening you have just created. The term "secret" will have no meaning after that.