Scoring in fencing

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've never fenced but from what I know about it, if Im correct scoring is determined when you land a hit on your opponent's gear and its electronically registered so the judges know a hit has been scored.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Starting with épée in 1933, side judges were replaced by the Laurent-Pagan electrical scoring apparatus,[SUP][10][/SUP] with an audible tone and a red or green light indicating when a touch landed. Foil was automated in 1956, sabre in 1988. The scoring box reduced the bias in judging, and permitted more accurate scoring of faster actions, lighter touches, and more touches to the back and flank than before.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sort of. It depends on the weapon, first. Scoring for épée, foil, and saber is different. There are also issues of right-of-way. Basically, a touch is scored by a sufficient strike on an appropriate target area when you have right of way. Electronic scoring is only one way to track scoring; it can be done manually/visually as well. If you check an actual fencing association's website, they probably explain it on more detail, maybe even with video.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unable to use quote tags, apparently this is only one character lol.

From Wiki

Starting with épée in 1933, side judges were replaced by the Laurent-Pagan electrical scoring apparatus,[SUP][10][/SUP] with an audible tone and a red or green light indicating when a touch landed. Foil was automated in 1956, sabre in 1988. The scoring box reduced the bias in judging, and permitted more accurate scoring of faster actions, lighter touches, and more touches to the back and flank than before.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've never fenced but from what I know about it, if Im correct scoring is determined when you land a hit on your opponent's gear and its electronically registered so the judges know a hit has been scored.

Are you telling us, or asking us? Never easy to tell…

For the record, that's not actually "scoring" in fencing… it's an electronic method of determining scoring… not the same thing…

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

What kind of fencing? Epee? Foil? Saber? Broadsword? Shinai? Polearms?

You do know fencing is sparring with all sorts of weapons, right?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been speaking my mate who fences, but unfortunately lives a few counties away. There is a local school near me who have a new beginners course starting in October. Seems quite reasonable to me, what do you guy's think as this would be a bit of a departure for me.

[h=1]News[/h]Saturday 4th OCTOBER
Added on 14/12/12 at 10:12:45

Unless you are an experienced fencer, you will need to complete this special intensive course if you want to join the club.

The course is at 1.30-6.30pm Saturday 4th October at St Mary’s Church Hall Surrenden Rd Preston Park and is open to adults, and children 12 years and over (only with parents’ written permission – please see Information for Parents).

Course content: - safety, mobility, basic attack & defence, learning to link these in elementary game play with some simple rules of the game. · Fencing equipment will be provided for the course (please advise your chest size for the jacket).

You need to bring a t-shirt, trainers and tracksuit/jogger trousers (NOT shorts or crops), plus a drink. The cost will be £60, cheques payable to Brighton & Hove Fencing Club please. Places are limited and can only be held for fully paid applications. You are welcome to drop in any Thursday 7.30-10pm to see the Club in action.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not an expert in fencing so I was trying to clarify what system of scoring they use. From what I heard they do use some kind of electronic system, at least that's what I was told by people who fenced in my high school. Anyway, I want to say that if that's the case, fencing has a much better system than point sparring which is based on more or less what the judges see. So I am not a big fan of point sparring.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Transk53 wrote:
"There is a local school near me who have a new beginners course starting in October. Seems quite reasonable to me, what do you guy's think as this would be a bit of a departure for me."

Have a go. Fencing can be fun and really sharpens the 'eye' in regards to tracking fast action. The equipment can become a bit costly and time consuming. The sport can also be a bit frustrating for self-defense types- right of way, targets, sportsmanship... That said some great Self-defense tools (lunging, back stepping, etc) and attributes can be explored. I would say go for it.

Regards
Brian King

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Transk53 wrote:

Have a go. Fencing can be fun and really sharpens the 'eye' in regards to tracking fast action. The equipment can become a bit costly and time consuming. The sport can also be a bit frustrating for self-defense types- right of way, targets, sportsmanship... That said some great Self-defense tools (lunging, back stepping, etc) and attributes can be explored. I would say go for it.

Regards
Brian King

A lot of clubs do have "loaner" gear for people who are just dabbling. It's not going to be fancy, the balance may be less than perfect, etc... but it beats buying even a simple foil or epee, mask, and jacket... And that's not even getting into the electronic scoring gear.

Electronic scoring is featured in most serious fencing competition today, I would think. However it hasn't eliminated the need for judging. Right of way in fencing is an interesting concept; it was something of an attempt to keep a taste of reality as it became more of a game or sport and moved away from real dueling. It's the answer to one of the things that frustrates me in a lot of point sparring: stuff that only works because the opponent can't kill you... No suicide attacks, in other words.
[video=youtube_share;PlZEcD0owbM]http://youtu.be/PlZEcD0owbM[/video]

Latest Discussions