Science vs.? Intelligent Design?

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
.....Now you have a trillion balls on an endless table and and a player of infinite skill. The motion of the balls is entirely within the physical constraints of the materials and forces at play and yet when the balls all come to a rest, who's to say they are not exactly where the player intended?
>
>
Some people see the mechanics of the motions and say "it all works so no prior intelligence is needed". Some people see the motion of the mechanics and say "there is intent here so there must be intelligence in the intention". And the interpretation I supposed comes down to your metaphysical or romantic leanings
Beautiful summation, short and to the point.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Look at a single shot in pool. Past the initial point if contact, or even within it, nothing in the system gives evidence of an intelligent force behind the trajectories of the balls, and yet the balls go where the player intends. The process is entirely natural and mechanical, but the intent of the process is not.

Now you have a trillion balls on an endless table and and a player of infinite skill. The motion of the balls is entirely within the physical constraints of the materials and forces at play and yet when the balls all come to a rest, who's to say they are not exactly where the player intended?

The problem with the ID crowd is that they keep looking for the places where God nudges the balls, tilts the table... has to cheat.
I don't know about the universe, but I do know that your pool table, balls and cue sticks have a creator.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Which leads to the obvious question, could God set up a shot so tricky even she could not make it?
(small but important modification made):asian:

What if the answer is "Yes"? What is the next progression?:erg:

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
God is a old man with a beard and white robes, that's what the Renaissance taught us.

But the progression is a basic paradox of omnipotence. Either way there is something he "cannot" do.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
God, like truth is a construct. She can take any form I choose.
Time, like entropy has a progression. I don't think time or entropy are mutable to the degree you suggest so my question stands. Or does the fact lead to the answer "No"?
Lori

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
But the progression is a basic paradox of omnipotence. Either way there is something he "cannot" do.

Well, then, I guess the answer is "no", not really. I sorta assumed the question was in jest...

Nowhere in the conceptualization of "omnipotence" is the idea of doing things logically impossible. A little like asking the question "could God make '1=2'. It's impossible, but not for lack of power, but simply by logical necessity.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Indeed, God cannot do less that what is perfect, or he/she/it ceases to be God, but is controlled by something else. Or, at very least, an imperfect God could be superseded by another God.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dunno...I could build a house that I couldn't lift. Where's the logical impossibility? I disagree with that analysis, FeearlessFreep.