Science cafes offer a sip of learning

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
[h=1]Science cafes offer a sip of learning[/h]

By Barbara Liston
ORLANDO, Florida | Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:35am EST

(Reuters)Excerpt:
- Americans may be turning away from the hard sciences at universities, but they are increasingly showing up at "science cafes" in local bars and restaurants to listen to scientific talks over a drink or a meal.

Want a beer with that biology? Or perhaps a burger with the works to complement the theory of everything?
Science cafes have sprouted in almost every state including a tapas restaurant near downtown Orlando where Sean Walsh, 27, a graphic designer, describes himself and his friends as some of the laymen in the crowd.
"We just want to learn and whatever we take in, we take in. But we're also socializing and having a nice time," said Walsh, who a drank beer, ate Tater Tots and learned a little about asteroids and radiation at two recent events.
Others in the crowd come with scientific credentials to hear particular scientists lecture on a narrowly focused field of interest.
But the typical participant brings at least some college-level education or at least a lively curiosity, said Edward Haddad, executive director of the Florida Academy of Sciences, which helped start up Orlando's original cafe and organizes the events.
"You're going to engage the (National Public Radio) crowd very easily here," said Linda Walters, a marine conservation biologist from the University of Central Florida who has lectured twice at the Orlando-area science cafes.
Haddad said the current national push to increase the number of U.S. graduates in science, technology, engineering and math, or the STEM fields, is driving up the number of science cafes.
In Orlando, an Orange County STEM Council consisting of business, government and educational leaders recently asked Haddad to help two interested parties launch new science cafes in the downtown library and in a large new town development.
The U.S. science cafe movement grew out of Cafe Scientifique in the United Kingdom. The first Cafe Scientifique popped up in Leeds in 1998 as a regularly scheduled event where all interested parties could participate in informal forums about the latest in science and technology.
Traditionally held in pubs and restaurants, the Cafe Scientifique would start as a short lecture, followed by a short break to re-fill glasses, and then an open discussion, according to the organization's website.
The American movement of independent cafes is loosely organized at the sciencecafe.org website created by public broadcaster WGBH's NOVA science program. Haddad said NOVA several years ago provided a few hundred dollars of seed money to groups around the country that wanted to start a cafe.
However, anyone with a venue, a speaker and a marketing plan can start one. On the sciencecafe.org website, an interactive map shows the location of cafes across the United States and around the globe from Islamabad, Pakistan, to Antwerp, Belgium, to the Hawaiian islands.

END EXCERPT
What a neat idea. I would go. I can hardly believe it, there are TWO in Fresno.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I encourage you to do so, Don and gather up some mates to go as well. If we do not foster the advancement of science then, regardless of economic foibles, the days of the West are numbered. Science underpins absolutely everything and the disdain of the clever has to stop or we are done for as a civilisation. 'Jock' culture needs to be consigned to the dustbin of history before it is too late - as the Big Bang Theory show said in one of it's episodes, in the Information Age the scientists have to be the Alpha Males :D.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've been having some good programmes on the televison about science, it seems Prof. Brian Cox is winning people, especially young people over to science all over the country, the fact he used to be in a pop band doesn't hurt any. A recent programme co hosted with a comedian Dara O'Briain, himself a science graduate was fascinating. Both of them also have separate science programmes as well.
http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/li...got-us-reaching-for-the-skies-92746-32560762/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...ra-O-Briains-Science-Club-BBC-Two-review.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9803162/Brian-Cox-interview-stars-in-his-eyes.html

I liked this quote in the above article with Prof. Cox.

"Despite his gentle demeanour, he tells me there has often been 'tension’ between him and the production team on the Wonders series 'because I always want to put more [physics] in and they want everything to be nice and clear. But I don’t want everything to be clear – I want to confuse people a little so that they go away and read a book.’ He would rather it didn’t move to BBC One, where it might have to be watered down. 'The thing I like about airing on BBC Two is that generally we don’t get any interference at all. I like being able to do things differently, and if that means being on BBC Two with a slightly lower audience, then so be it"