School Logo

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many of you school owners have a logo for your school apart from your organization's logo?

How necessary is it? What's the importance of it? Have it helped you? Hindered you?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many of you school owners have a logo for your school apart from your organization's logo?
I do - it's my avatar.

How necessary is it?
I don't think it's "necessary", per se, but since our class logo is on a patch that students can choose to sew on their doboks, it does help my students to pull together as a group, and also helps people at events to identify them as my students in case they need me for something, like coaching.

What's the importance of it?
See above

Have it helped you? Hindered you?
I don't quite know how to answer this... certainly, it hasn't hindered anything; as I said above, it helped my students unify as a group, and helps people find me at events if one of them needs me (it's easy to not be at the right ring when there's multiple rings all over the place). Overall, I think it's nice, and has positive benefits, but not necessary.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks Kacey.

I guess some of my questions weren't helpful. Having a logo wouldn't hinder anything. I'm asking because my wife really wants me to have one for my very small school in a community center: I think that my organization patch & logo is sufficient. Few other schools in my organization seem to have them (I might be wrong). In our organization, that patch is very promenant (sp?) on the uniform. I don't think there's room for another logo on the uniform. Granted, the logo wouldn't need to go on the uniform. But if not, would it really benefit me?

I realize this discussion might be very short if it weren't written out. I appreciate all thoughts on the subject.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is the color version of the logo in my sig file. We teach DTS Kali and Pentjak Silat, and Wing Chun, and Chi Gong. So...which system's logo do we use? ;)

The importance of it....there is a lot of Southeast Asian symbolism to it. MARI is the acronym of the school - Martial Arts Research Institute. My school isn't very big in to organizations and politics...as a student, I personally like how we have something that identifyable as our own.

Our school plans regular trips to the Philippines and Indonesia. We don't require uniforms and don't issue belt ranks, but when we go abroad to train our instructors insist that we train in black dobok-style uniforms with the school patch attached.

Other than being a happy student, I'm not part of the school. So, I don't truly know of the benefits and drawbacks they may have found. I just think it's a VERY cool logo. :)

Attachments

• $MARI.gif
    10.2 KB · Views: 251

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its a blend. We do a mix of Harimau Pentjak Silat and Kuntao Silat.

I'll bump a thread in the Indochinese section ;)

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Iceman,

We have a logo that goes on our school T-shirts, bumper stickers, and stationary.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks Kacey.

I guess some of my questions weren't helpful. Having a logo wouldn't hinder anything. I'm asking because my wife really wants me to have one for my very small school in a community center: I think that my organization patch & logo is sufficient. Few other schools in my organization seem to have them (I might be wrong). In our organization, that patch is very promenant (sp?) on the uniform. I don't think there's room for another logo on the uniform. Granted, the logo wouldn't need to go on the uniform. But if not, would it really benefit me?

I realize this discussion might be very short if it weren't written out. I appreciate all thoughts on the subject.

We put our organization logo on our left chest, and class patches on the right sleeve, with American and state flags (if desired) on the right sleeve. All sleeve patches are up near the shoulder, right under the seam.

I'm thinking about getting shirts silk-screened; I need to see if my students would buy them first.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is the color version of the logo in my sig file. We teach DTS Kali and Pentjak Silat, and Wing Chun, and Chi Gong. So...which system's logo do we use? ;)

The importance of it....there is a lot of Southeast Asian symbolism to it. MARI is the acronym of the school - Martial Arts Research Institute. My school isn't very big in to organizations and politics...as a student, I personally like how we have something that identifyable as our own.

Our school plans regular trips to the Philippines and Indonesia. We don't require uniforms and don't issue belt ranks, but when we go abroad to train our instructors insist that we train in black dobok-style uniforms with the school patch attached.

Other than being a happy student, I'm not part of the school. So, I don't truly know of the benefits and drawbacks they may have found. I just think it's a VERY cool logo. :)
I agree.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is as close to a logo as we get. It shows up on the website and the occasional t-shirt:

smallLogo.gif

It's a lot like the more traditional de Thouars Sera emblem:

logo1.gif

but somewhat Americanized. Garuda has been turned into a Red Tail Hawk, and the tiger is now a mountain lion. One of the cabangs has been replaced by a Bowie knife.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm, first time I've done this. If it works this is ours. The students seem to like it and it does make it easy to find them unless their ho-goo covers it.

Attachments

• $LOGO.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 207

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Heh, I was going to ask if you could put up a larger one, but then I figured you probably could kick me in the head all the way from St. Helens hehe.

Looks good!

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Now to see if I can do it...

Patton_Patch_proof_sm.jpg
Patton_Patch_proof.jpg

Woohoo!!! It worked hehe.
Anyway, the school owner is part native, his symbol and that of his father has always been the eagle. The 9 rays of the sun symbolize the 9 forms, 9 black belt degrees etc (see also: koreans and the number 9 heh, no offense intended). Then 9 feathers (ok the middle is a big one, with a sun in the middle). Then the org name, and Taekwondo.

In a revamp, I think the only thing I'd change, is to put a kicker going across, perhaps ghosted etc. But, there's only so much you can stuff onto a 3.5" circle.

As for importance, I do graphics for a living, so I do think any business needs an identifying mark. Although, that mark may simply be the name of the business in a certain type style and color etc. Just something to recognize and associate with.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have one lets see if I can put it up well It says it is to big so later I will have my wife set it up. But yes a school logo seperate you into your own school although you maybe bigger within the org.

Reaction score
A logo is good for creating a brand name of sorts. It separates you from any other school in town as well as creates an oppurtunity for merchandising which has been my savior in the occasional slow month. Not that I would count on selling school t-shirts, etc. as a major money maker, but surprisingly enough it has bailed me out occasionally.

Latest Discussions