School Curriculum

We learn one form each rank (there's 8 before black). We learn one steps, sparring combos (a little different from the one steps) and sparring. We also learn combat techniques, which involves Chin Na, boxing and some takedowns/throws (my favorite :D ). After black belt, it gets more involved into Chin Na, and weapons.

This is on our Curriculum to grade to Green Belt:

Kicks: Spinning Hook/Twisting Front/Standing Placement of Side and Turning.

Basics: Spear Hand

Body Conditioning: Punch for Punch in Stomach/Forearm Checking Drill/Leg Checking Drills, Blending and blocking.

Hyungs: Do San

Nerves: Ball Bladder 31 & 32/Spleen 10/Liver 9/Bladder37

Drills: Four post Drill

Finger Locks: Full Finger/First Knuckle/Cigar Lock/Two Finger Control

Wrist Locks: Bent Arm/Cut Down/Arm Grab - inside and out/Goose Neck/Inside wrist.

Physical: 30 Press ups/30 Crunchies/60 Thigh kicks off right leg in under 40 seconds, then same off left.

Ground Work: Side top Hold/Releases from Side top hold/Bridging - cross body/straddle/backwards breakfall - leg up, step back, crouch and flick, semi stand and flick/ground fighting

Sparring: free sparring

Grouping systems: Group one and two

That of course is on top of everything we have learned up till now, so we are going to be busy this term.

Sarah-

Is this taekwondo that you're talking about? I have not heard of half the things you talked about!! Finger locks??

Faye said:
Sarah-

Is this taekwondo that you're talking about? I have not heard of half the things you talked about!! Finger locks??
Our Basic's/Traditional aspects are in TKD, but we also do a lot of grappling, ground fighting etc etc. I guess it is Aikido/Jujitsu sort of stuff.

Sarah said:
Our Basic's/Traditional aspects are in TKD, but we also do a lot of grappling, ground fighting etc etc. I guess it is Aikido/Jujitsu sort of stuff.
I see- that's wonderful! I always wish that my TKD school will teach a bit more grappling, I think your school has a great cirriculum!!

Faye said:
I see- that's wonderful! I always wish that my TKD school will teach a bit more grappling, I think your school has a great cirriculum!!

Have you ever thought abut approaching your instructor about integrating some other material into the curriculum.

White belt:
Basics-
horsback stance, kickups, marching basics up to side block
form-Kibon Ilchang
beginning one step.
Tae Kwon Do manners and etiquette

Yellow belt:
Palgue Il Chang
complete marching basics-marching side kick,double knife hand block, knife hand strike, knife hand strike/reverse punch combo
one step
begin basic kicking-front, side, roundhouse kick
Basic exercise free sparring

Yellow-Green:
Palgue Ee chang
One step
Exercise free sparring
Sliding side kick, sliding half roundhouse, sliding knife hand, ridgehand

Low Green/High green:
Palgue Sam Chang/Palgue Sa Chang
Basic kicking-front kick, middle/high side and roundhouse kick, standing side kick
One step sparring
Free fighting
Drills
Sandbag practice (over age of 15)-high roundhouse, sliding side kick, back side kick, back roundhouse
Steps practice

Low/High Blue
Palgue O Chang/Palgue Yoo Chang
Basic kicking, back side kick, back roundhouse kick
One step sparring
Free fighting
Drills

Low/High Red:
Palgue Chil/Palgue Pal
One step
Basic kicking
Free fighting-must be able to knock opponent off balance
Sandbag practice
Practice for 1st Dan

Anything else-special drills, self defense, lecture etc.-is up to each Instructor. Basics and basic kicking are continuous for all ranks.

Rob Broad said:
Have you ever thought abut approaching your instructor about integrating some other material into the curriculum.
Yes I have. They actually are willing to teach jujitsu after class. And I've seen them teach higher belts some grappling technique. I think it's very useful.

Latest Discussions

Back