Scary Movies

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, it's October, one of my two favorite months of the year and the month of Halloween, which is my favorite holiday.

So, I like to watch alot of spooky stuff, but I end up watching alot of crap. What are your favorite scary, I mean really scary movies?

I need recommendations. :D

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The Entity (based on a true story)
Nightmare on Elm Street
Hellraiser 1&2
Friday the 13th part 2
The Haunting in Connecticut
Blair Witch Project

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ooh a really good ghosty, shivery one is The Orphanage. I totally enjoyed that!

Slither is fantastic, funny and just way too creepy and crawly *shudders* haha..

Evil Dead II is my favourite for everything funny and jumpy, gory and creepy, specially the hand scene LOLs..

Jenna x

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Based on an Internet listing of scariest movies ever I browsed a few years ago, I bought and watched "Event Horizon" (1997; has Laurence Fishburne and Sam Neill in it).

I was not disappointed. My GF is STILL pissed I talked her into watching it. I think it definitely ranks in my Top 3 Scariest. Maybe No. 1. I'd like to watch it again, but I don't want to watch it alone and my GF still shudders and tells me to watch it by myself when I suggest we take it off the DVD rack for another viewing. :) I need to find another unsuspecting victim to watch it with. Hmmm.... Tried to get GF's sister to watch it, but the GF keeps warning her not to.

"Room 1408" (2007, based on a Steven King story, has John Cusak in the lead role) I found to be pretty damned scary :)

Those are the top two that come to mind.

I found "White Noise" to be ... disturbing.

A movie that may still be in theaters in your area that isn't quite as scary as the two at the top of this post but I found very entertaining and appropriate for the Ghostmas Season is "Jennifer's Body."

Not really all that scary (my GF didn't watch this one through the crack between her fingers), but I liked it.

Critics didn't, so.... (shrug).

Oh. Don't go expecting to see Megan's Body because you don't get to. That was just tricky marketing. (SNL skit on Megan's "nude" Internet pics btw, was kinda funny ...)

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh wait! I almost forgot:

"The Descent" is a good one: scary on two different levels.

And "The Ruins" wasn't bad, either, (and kinda different!).

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not easily scared by Horror films, but here are a few I enjoy...

Hellevator. <--- Japanese Horror

Dog Soldiers. <---Werewolf Flick

Ginger Snaps <--Werewolf Flick

Cabinet of Caligari <-- BW Silent Film from 1920

Alien <--Sci-fi/Horror classic

Toolbox Murders <--Slasher Flick

I have so many horror films in my collection its hard to choose: This list is already getting too long.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Scary movies generally don't "scare" me, though I do enjoy them, and find some of them...disturbing.

Candyman, the first one was intelligent for a "slasher" flick, and takes place in your home town, Pam!

I enjoyed The Ring-not scared, but it did make my skin crawl a little...

Quartermass and the Pit, an old British flick-scared me, but I was about 9 when I saw it. Still really good.

Jaws scared me, but I'm a lifelong sailor-the book scared me too!(There I was in boarding school, in the Berkshires, more than 100 miles from the ocean, sitting in my room looking for sharks! :lol: ) Stood up for the last 10 minutes of this one the first time....

Jacob's Ladder-scary and disturbing. Most people don't quite know what's going on until the end.

In The Mouth of Madness not particularly scary, but the ending "gotcha" is good for a really, really creepy laugh...

Open Water see:Jaws-only worse!

The Haunting-the original (1963)

Children of the Damned-the original (1960) another British scare

Tales From the Crypt-the original (1972): "Look Mommy!I let Santa Claus in! :lfao:

Invaders From Mars-the original (1953)-had me looking at my parents funny for about a week...

Matango or Attack of the Mushroom People-Japanese flick. Saw it when I was about 7, and didn't eat any mushrooms until I was about 12 years old....:lol: (I love mushrooms, but this one really creeped me out!)

The Devil's Rain (1975)-William Shatner, and scary bad!

And the Phibes movies, because they're so much fun-not "scary" at all, but it's Vincent Price.....

Last edited:

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Based on an Internet listing of scariest movies ever I browsed a few years ago, I bought and watched "Event Horizon" (1997; has Laurence Fishburne and Sam Neill in it).

)
'Event Horizon' scared the bejezus out of me! I thought it would be just a sci fi flick, so it kinda got me of guard.

A movie that I found extremely disturbing was 'Frailty' with Matthew
McConaghey and Bill Paxton. The subject matter was disturbing and the cinematography made the movie really quite creepy.

My favourite horror flicks are "House of a Thousand Corpses' and 'The Devil's rejects'. I've said it before and i'll say it again, Rob Zombie rocks!!!

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
In no particular order except that Alien always comes first:

Alien
The Exorcist
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Saw
The Mist
The Thing (the Carpenter remake)
The Changeling
Friday the 13th
Carrie
Nightmare on Elm Street
Event Horizon
Jacob's Ladder
The Shining
Salem's Lot (original tv movie)
Rosemary's Baby

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The original The Shining, The Mist and Room 1403.

That Stephen King...when he's good, he's really good!

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the recs everyone. :) I've already seen alot of these, I own the original The Shining DVD. Liked 1408, House of 1000 Corpses. Watched the original Amityville Horror yesterday. I like Jaws. Saw The Haunting in Connecticut. Well, lots. Too many to list.

But you all have mentioned some really great sounding movies that I've never even heard of! So, I'ma gettin my pen and paper and writing some of these titles down. Then it's off to Netflix to fill my queue. :D

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oooooo! I thought of a wild movie that hasn't been mentioned. Has anyone seen The Hamiltons?

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Add Paranormal Activity to the list. Go see before someone spoils it.

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Add Paranormal Activity to the list. Go see before someone spoils it.

I've been hearing the movie kicks ***. And I guess it was filmed in the directors home on a $15,000 budget. I'ma have to see this one.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been hearing the movie kicks ***. And I guess it was filmed in the directors home on a $15,000 budget. I'ma have to see this one.

Ive heard similar good things about this. I'm excited that a low-budget indie film is getting some play.

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ive heard similar good things about this. I'm excited that a low-budget indie film is getting some play.

I am definitely going to see it. Probably next weekend. I'll let you know how it was unless you see it first.

Latest Discussions