Saddam's Fate

As the American system of justice is based on the British (you colonials nicked everything from us ) It cannot be an American idea.

Technically speaking, very little of what we Americans (or 'Colonials' or 'Yanks' or whatever label you prefer) adhere to is what you'd call an originally "American idea". Although, I know that's upsetting to a lot of "patriots" *snicker, ralph*.

The entire basis for the revolutionary political ideology came from the philosophical environment of, well, France (yes, the accursed enemy, so sayeth Savage and O'Reily) throughout the 1700's and some of the late 1600's. And, before then, it had its origins in the Renaissance.

All of which, ironically, had its basis in rejecting the teachings and laws of the established religious establishments ("Remember the cruelties!"). So much for the Pat Robertsons of the world telling us what the Founding Fathers would "want".

Seriously, any kind of divide between "American" and "European" cultures is an arbitrary one. And no nationalism, romanticism, or patriotism will change that.

Laterz.

heretic888 said:
As the American system of justice is based on the British (you colonials nicked everything from us ) It cannot be an American idea.

Technically speaking, very little of what we Americans (or 'Colonials' or 'Yanks' or whatever label you prefer) adhere to is what you'd call an originally "American idea". Although, I know that's upsetting to a lot of "patriots" *snicker, ralph*.

The entire basis for the revolutionary political ideology came from the philosophical environment of, well, France (yes, the accursed enemy, so sayeth Savage and O'Reily) throughout the 1700's and some of the late 1600's. And, before then, it had its origins in the Renaissance.

All of which, ironically, had its basis in rejecting the teachings and laws of the established religious establishments ("Remember the cruelties!"). So much for the Pat Robertsons of the world telling us what the Founding Fathers would "want".

Seriously, any kind of divide between "American" and "European" cultures is an arbitrary one. And no nationalism, romanticism, or patriotism will change that.

Laterz.
Come again I missed something in the translation.

David

What I think? I think they should have "accidentally" dropped a grenade in the hole where they found him...since that didn't happen, let the Iraqi's try him (don't they still hang people over there?). If the UN gets the job he'll just end up sitting in prison. I'm not suprised to hear that we're going to continue to guard him until his trial. I wonder how long he'd last otherwise.

Latest Discussions

Back