Run away from no-mask people

Status
Not open for further replies.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Two factors to consider are how long you're in close proximity to another person, and whether or not they get droplets on you. There's a big difference in passing by a group with no masks, compared with hanging out with a group with no masks.

You could also get a face shield and wear that in addition to your mask. Mask protects others from you, face shield protects you from others. Just wash your hands before you touch your face, and wash the face shield.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since I started this thread in the General MA Talk session, I have to discuss MA in this thread.

What MA technique is safe to use against a no-mask opponent? Your thought?

The same one you put in the title.

Run, as in, gallop the trail you're walking in reverse, as fast as possible.

You can always attempt the trail again, assuming you don't catch, die, or spread a killer virus.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As you always ask, do you have any figures for this claim? How many people have been beaten to death in an argument about masks?
well quite a few, but i didnt say peopke were more at risk, i said kung fu wang was more at risk, he is socialy distancing of the first order, so he chance of catching iit is virtualy nil, his change of getting into conflict over it sees a lot higher, who dies, him or the other guy us open to question

Leviathan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I ab-so-lu-te-ly don't care if someone does not wear a mask.

I work in a rather large company in Hamburg in Germany and I commute with the train. I haven't had any single day of remote working since outbreak of covid 19. I haven't been infected or at least haven't had any symptoms.

I completely trust my immune system.

I understand that some people are very afraid of that virus but I absolutely do not share their fear.

For clarity purpose: I wear a mask when I have to. Otherwise I don't.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
well quite a few, but i didnt say peopke were more at risk, i said kung fu wang was more at risk, he is socialy distancing of the first order, so he chance of catching iit is virtualy nil, his change of getting into conflict over it sees a lot higher, who dies, him or the other guy us open to question
And how do you know his chance is virtually nil? We have no way of knowing if there will be a spike near him, and at thw same time something happens forcing him to be exposed, such as something unrelated forcing him to go to the hospital. Or a change in mindset in the future causing him to become more relaxed.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And how do you know his chance is virtually nil? We have no way of knowing if there will be a spike near him, and at thw same time something happens forcing him to be exposed, such as something unrelated forcing him to go to the hospital. Or a change in mindset in the future causing him to become more relaxed.
his current chances are virtually nil, he could of course have a very fat man with civid fall on him from a 20 storey building, thats covered in the virtual part of virtually nil

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is the way that I look at this issue.

I'll never walk toward someone within 6 feet distance without a mask on. I won't allow anybody to walk toward me within 6 feet distance without a mask on. Is that a fair requirement?

The issue is if someone insists to walk toward me within 6 feet distance without a mask on, that person can be dangerous to my life. Do I have the right to protect myself?

Your thought?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
his current chances are virtually nil, he could of course have a very fat man with civid fall on him from a 20 storey building, thats covered in the virtual part of virtually nil
Ah, his current chances. Missed that part.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is a lot of false and misinformation about Covid-19 and there is still a lot unknown.
There is a lot that is known and it is now beginning to shown that even people who wear masks are testing positive with Covid-19 and the death rate is far less than what was originally expected. Yesterday some of Biden's staff (who wear masks) have been tested positive.

We need to be careful but not 'fearful'. Many now life in fear; the emotional distress aroused by an impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined). Covid-19 is real but I don't life in fear of it. I wear a mask where required but not when in the open and other's aren't around me. The experts have for several months been saying it is time in contact with others who are contagious with covid which makes getting the disease not just in passing.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wear a mask where required but not when in the open and other's aren't around me.
I don't do any differently than the way you are doing.

I do exactly as Dr Fauci has suggested. Put mask under my chin when I run. Move up when I see people. Move back down after I have pass them.

The experts have for several months been saying it is time in contact with others who are contagious with covid which makes getting the disease not just in passing.
Not sure about this.

I suppose to be in California right now. I don't know California is any safer than Texas, I didn't go. I used to run on Pismo Beach. I don't know how to deal with no-mask people on the beach.

I just find out that one of my favor hiking trail has been closed.

The Pismo Preserve is closed until further notice, due to concerns about the recreation area's capacity for adequate social distancing among visitors, the Land Conservancy of San Luis Obispo County announced Monday. The preserve has been extremely popular since opening to the public Jan.Mar 23, 2020

https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/article241438946.html

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is the way that I look at this issue.

I'll never walk toward someone within 6 feet distance without a mask on. I won't allow anybody to walk toward me within 6 feet distance without a mask on. Is that a fair requirement?

The issue is if someone insists to walk toward me within 6 feet distance without a mask on, that person can be dangerous to my life. Do I have the right to protect myself?

Your thought?
its a personal responsibility issue, its up to you to keep away from people, not theirs to keep away from you.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
There is a lot of false and misinformation about Covid-19 and there is still a lot unknown.
There is a lot that is known and it is now beginning to shown that even people who wear masks are testing positive with Covid-19 and the death rate is far less than what was originally expected. Yesterday some of Biden's staff (who wear masks) have been tested positive.

We need to be careful but not 'fearful'. Many now life in fear; the emotional distress aroused by an impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined). Covid-19 is real but I don't life in fear of it. I wear a mask where required but not when in the open and other's aren't around me. The experts have for several months been saying it is time in contact with others who are contagious with covid which makes getting the disease not just in passing.

2 people 3 block down from me dead.
200,000 people dead.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you think this picture is fake?

covid-death.png

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you think that picture is fake, do you believe in this?

Herman Cain (December 13, 1945 – July 30, 2020).
im not sure what you mean, i know people who have died because of the covid shut down stopped them getting treatment for non covid illness, i know people who have been committed to institutions because the isolation drove them mad

i dont however know anyone or know of anyone known to someone i know who has died of covid, that as far as my limited data can go, shows not having covid is more dangerous

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Much of science is not correctly taught in schools: in there, it's all about dissecting frogs and making stuff explode.
So let me (with a B.Sc. I acquired at age 57) share with you guys a key axiom about science. Some of you might already know.

It's all about likelihood and probability.

If you ever read scientific papers, you'll find that they never say "this is certain." They only ever say "this is likely," if that. That's because they are aware of the changing nature of science, where new discoveries can change existing paradigms. It's not a bug, it's a feature of science; otherwise we would still be drilling holes in people's head to let out evil spirits or whatever.

So SARS-CoV-2 is a very new virus. We just don't have a lot of data on how it affects people, how it behaves, and so on. We are dealing with natural processes, and that takes time. So anything that comes out of the testing is a provisional conclusion: it is likely that the virus behaves this way, based on what we know now. All conclusions in science are provisional.

What does that have to do with masks? Back to probability and likelihood. The following actions decrease the likelihood that you will get COVID-19, because they decrease the likelihood that the SARS-CoV-2 virus will enter your lungs or eyes:
  • wearing a mask yourself (more layers, less permeable: lower likelihood)
  • being around people wearing masks
  • wearing a shield
  • maintaining a distance of at least 6 feet
  • being outdoors or in a place with good air circulation
  • washing your hands before you touch your face
All of those will decrease the likelihood that the virus will enter your body, and in some cases, decrease the likelihood that asymptomatic you will spread the virus to other people. Sure, maybe the wind blew that sick guy's spittle in the other direction -- that's why the odds are lower that you'll get it outside.

So this is why a lot of people don't wear masks outside, or just wear masks and no shields. We're all adults, and we take reasonable risks every day. We drive on the highway; we eat food other people cook. But there's a line: we don't drive drunk, and we might avoid street food in a strange place.
The line, for me with this virus, is indoor/outdoor.
  • indoors, I always wear a mask and keep my distance.
  • outdoors, I don't wear a mask if I'm moving and keeping my distance. But if people might get closer than six feet, I wear it.
Nobody cares if we're fearful or not. People are saying that wearing a mask is being fearful, and that's BS. We can be fearful and wear a mask, or just be responsible and wear a mask. I'm not afraid of sharks, but I won't swim in shark-infested waters because that would not be a good idea. Similarly, not wearing a mask in close quarters to show that we're not afraid is just stupid, and selfish. If we don't care about your own health, we need to care about other people. We might have it, not get sick, but we might breathe it out to other people who might not be as strong as us.

As for the drunk driving analogy, imagine driving drunk with a baby in the car. It's not just about the driver, and this mask thing is not just about the mask wearer. It's also about the people around the mask-wearer.

Until we get a reliable vaccine, we just need to do what it takes to reduce the odds that we'll get it, and reduce the odds that we'll transmit it to someone else.

Thanks for reading.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm supposed to be in Pismo Beach, CA right now. In the following clip, you can see many people walk on the street without mask. On the street, I just don't know how to deal with that many people without mask.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions