Rubber Bob training video

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know why exactly, but this made me laugh out loud.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Some of those I get, but if I have two guys to roll me around while practice holding down BOB in my guard, why don't I just roll with them?

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some of those I get, but if I have two guys to roll me around while practice holding down BOB in my guard, why don't I just roll with them?

I believe that the drill is to work on your RNC. If you look at the video again he isn't just holding BOB in the guard. He is applying the choke. I think it is a conditioning drill meant for holding on to the choke and also a focus drill rolled into one. You can't just squeeze a partner with your RNC and practice holding on for a long time without running out of training partners.

OP
K

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
To be sure, there are some good things presented in the vid. But a lot of those things just look really funny (working the RNC while two guys roll you around, applying Vaseline to bobs face and working the dirty clinch stuff)

I figured we could all get a laugh while also maybe picking up an idea...

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I believe that the drill is to work on your RNC. If you look at the video again he isn't just holding BOB in the guard. He is applying the choke. I think it is a conditioning drill meant for holding on to the choke and also a focus drill rolled into one. You can't just squeeze a partner with your RNC and practice holding on for a long time without running out of training partners.

That makes sense, I wasn't watching close enough, and no arms and no legs makes the orientation less obvious.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

It beats the old heave bag that has been used for years. Before "bob" we would use a magic marker and draw a face on the bag. Bob takes a licking and keeps on ticking.
icon7.gif

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Late 90s for me.
icon14.gif
Bag to my left, Bob to my right. Notice who I am favoring. :)

Attachments

• $s532460340_6357355_1317517.jpg
    $s532460340_6357355_1317517.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 116

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Had a BOB since '95. The head finally came off (after several attempts at duct taping it) now we use it for body strikes.

Franco

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Watching BOB get his neck twisted up gave me a good laugh too. :D

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
To be sure, there are some good things presented in the vid. But a lot of those things just look really funny (working the RNC while two guys roll you around, applying Vaseline to bobs face and working the dirty clinch stuff)

I figured we could all get a laugh while also maybe picking up an idea...

The vaseline is for when working the "widowmaker" concept. It is a CQB tactic that uses alot of raking forearms and elbows. It saves on the friction burn for training on it for an extended period.

Latest Discussions