Kickboxer Dies During Match

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Several takeaways here. First, all sports are dangerous, but head injuries can be fatal. Second, matches should have emergency medical crews standing by. This is a tragedy that may not have had to happen. Third, my sincere condolences to the fighter's family and friends.

http://www.ajc.com/news/witness-atlanta-kickboxers-emergency-579567.html

Witness: Atlanta kickboxer's emergency transport delayed

The Atlanta woman who died Tuesday after she was knocked unconscious during an amateur kickboxing tournament in Orlando wasn't taken to a hospital for an hour, a kickboxing coach at the event said.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Haycraft said there was no ambulance on-call at the fight.

I've seen a lot of competitions that don't have EMT's or ambulances on site just in case. It costs money you know. I think there's a difference between having a couple students who happen to be EMT's at an event, and having an on duty EMT properly geared up and transport ready.

Damn shame.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of competitions that don't have EMT's or ambulances on site just in case. It costs money you know. I think there's a difference between having a couple students who happen to be EMT's at an event, and having an on duty EMT properly geared up and transport ready.

Damn shame.

It does cost money, but one would presume that the promoter would have to purchase liability insurance prior to gaining access to the venue (most venues such as public school gyms, etc, require it). Buying such insurance would (I presume) require that medical professionals be present.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suspect that perhaps someone dropped the ball. The venue should require liability and indemnity insurance. The insurer should require that medical professionals be onsite for the event. Yes, it costs money. But this is what can happen if it doesn't occur.

It is indeed a shame.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A lot of events in WNY are being held on Seneca Nation reservations. Seems the reasons being they are outside NYS jurisdiction and law, don't require on-site medical presence, nor insurance, nor safety inspections.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A lot of events in WNY are being held on Seneca Nation reservations. Seems the reasons being they are outside NYS jurisdiction and law, don't require on-site medical presence, nor insurance, nor safety inspections.

It was my understanding that MMA matches still were not legal in NY at all, or am I misinformed? Perhaps that is just NYC? Or did the law change recently?

In any case, I don't think I would attend such a match. With Indian nations being sovereign, I doubt a lawsuit could succeed; so any liabilities ending in tragedy might just end up being 'too bad, so sad, go away now'. Not something I'd be very interested in, speaking only for myself.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MMA isn't legal in NY right now, but it on the Rez.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MMA isn't legal in NY right now, but it on the Rez.

So that would be another reason why they would be held there...
icon12.gif

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sad to hear. I wonder if there was not some unknown pre-exsisting condition that was magnified by the stress and blows of the fight. Kind of unusual to have a death in a 3 round (head gear worn) womens fight. I don't know but I would guess that this may be the first. I could be wrong.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ATC makes a good point. I wonder if there was some sort of preexisting condition. The story indicates that she had gone down in an earlier round from a jab--not your typical knockout technique--and was down for an 8 count, then had a standing 8 count after that, also from a jab, I believe. I'm surprised the ref let her keep fighting at that point. Maybe she had some previous head trauma? It's a damned shame this woman died this way, but also a very surprising outcome, IMO.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From the article this was an event put on by the IKF (International Kickboxing Federation). It was probably their yearly world-wide event. Some years back, I judged fights for them at what they used to call their "Nationals". They were large events where 200+ fighters competed. Back then, Steve Fossum (IKF President) was very concerned with safety & always had paramedics & fight doctors at his events. These are full contact amateur fights in full contact rules, international rules & Muay Thai rules. Safety of the fighters is priority number 1. This really saddens me that he didn't think it was important to have that in place this time.

My condolences go out to the family of Adrienne Simmons.

Last edited:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of competitions that don't have EMT's or ambulances on site just in case. It costs money you know.

It also costs money to rent a 27,000 sq. ft ballroom at the Marriott Orlando World Center, too. That hotel is VERY posh and very expensive.

http://www.marriottworldcenter.com/

I'm not necessarily saying that the promoters have their priorities messed up.

I am confident that the choice of hotel had a very positive impact on the turnout.

However, the fight card was very large (200 fighters!!), and they they were clearly expecting a lot of people for an event that was very well capitalized.

Perhaps the promoters made an unwise choice, perhaps the fighter's expectations were unrealistic as well.

If they are going to fight in a tournament that size, and pay for lodging in Orlando....in high tourist season...perhaps they should expect to come up with entry fees that can cover the cost of having an ambulance on standby.

I don't know if Ms. Simmons life could have been saved. But I think there are a lot of lessons that can be learned from this event, and I feel terrible that a person had to be killed or crippled for those lessons to come about. My thoughts and prayers for those who knew her. :asian:

Latest Discussions