Royce or Rickson?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yipman_sifu said:
Lifting weights will not help you to fight, that's true.

Ok, strength is irrelevant to fighting...?

Punching bags and doing the Wooden dummy techniques are fighting stuff, you train it to know fighting techniques, and to develop punching power.

It will, in the same way strength training will. If you want to learn to fight you need a partner, otherwise it's just conditioning, same as strength training.

it's a part of combat training.

So is strength training :)

Marvin

Black Belt
Reaction score
yipman_sifu said:
I agree with you on everything you said except for the part you mentioned about training. Lifting weights will not help you to fight, that's true. Punching bags and doing the Wooden dummy techniques are fighting stuff, you train it to know fighting techniques, and to develop punching power. How you say it will not help you!, it's a part of combat training. Now I read your profile and you mentioned JKD. Can I know what exactly you train?!, never exposed to Chi Sao before!.

In my I am stating that if you only do those things you are just execising. The heavy bag and the jung are sport specific exercizes. You need the feedback of sparring/ drilling with another person to know if you are getting better or if your techniques work.
Yes I am familiar with chi sao:) .

OP
yipman_sifu

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Ok, strength is irrelevant to fighting...?

It will, in the same way strength training will. If you want to learn to fight you need a partner, otherwise it's just conditioning, same as strength training.

So is strength training :)

Man. I didn't say we have to be weak and fight. My point was that we don't need that muscle training to fight. Of course we need some muscles, but fighting muscles comes by practise and develpment. Not by getting big and boast, because this is the real mistake we fall in. We start to get bigger, stiffer, and depends on fool strength. Without technique, this big body we developed in gym might not be useful and we might be a joke from other shorter and lighter opponents which can beat us by their technique. that is my whole point. Hope that you finally get my point.

By the way. Are you the guy who gave a bad reputation to me at this thread, just asking:) .

OP
yipman_sifu

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Marvin said:
In my I am stating that if you only do those things you are just execising. The heavy bag and the jung are sport specific exercizes. You need the feedback of sparring/ drilling with another person to know if you are getting better or if your techniques work.
Yes I am familiar with chi sao:) .

That's the most important thing (Sparring and drilling).

Was is it you Marvin that gave me the bad reputation in this thread?, just wanted to know:) .

Marvin

Black Belt
Reaction score
yipman_sifu said:
That's the most important thing (Sparring and drilling).

Was is it you Marvin that gave me the bad reputation in this thread?, just wanted to know:) .

No, not me, I am a face to face kind of guy! I don't go in for that anomyous type of stuff.

OP
yipman_sifu

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Marvin said:
No, not me, I am a face to face kind of guy! I don't go in for that anomyous type of stuff.

I appreciate you Frankness, Thanx Marvin.

Marvin

Black Belt
Reaction score
yipman_sifu said:
this big body we developed in gym might not be useful and we might be a joke from other shorter and lighter opponents which can beat us by their technique. that is my whole point. Hope that you finally get my point.
I think we are in aggrement!!:cheers:

Rook

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think Mr. Green's point (and I agree completely) is that all other things being equal, having more strength is an advantage.

The same would go for better techniques, more techniques, more speed and alot of other things.

BallistikMike

Green Belt
Reaction score
yipman_sifu said:
Man. I didn't say we have to be weak and fight. My point was that we don't need that muscle training to fight. Of course we need some muscles, but fighting muscles comes by practise and develpment. Not by getting big and boast, because this is the real mistake we fall in. We start to get bigger, stiffer, and depends on fool strength. Without technique, this big body we developed in gym might not be useful and we might be a joke from other shorter and lighter opponents which can beat us by their technique. that is my whole point. Hope that you finally get my point.

By the way. Are you the guy who gave a bad reputation to me at this thread, just asking:) .

Your thinking muscle building for show and confusing it with functional strength training. Two very different beasts.

Strength will over come technique and it has.

Heart will over come strength and it has.

Technique will over come heart and it has.

Its all relevant and it all needs to be trained and put into the perfect blend for the individual.

Echsos

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Reading the last post made me realize that we all forgot a key component: heart. Whoever has more heart/more fight in him will most likely survive the fight. Heart has proven to be a very important factor in determining the winner in numerous occasions. Of course, that being said, that we must not ignore technique and strength training as well.

yipman, I think you're confusing strength training and professional body building. The goal in strength training really isn't to look like the guys you see in magazines who are 6'5'' and weigh somewhere around 350 pounds. Acquiring greater strength doesn't mean you lose flexibility either. I'm just going to use me as an example here. I weigh roughly 151 pounds. I can bench 240 pounds. Pound for pound that's not shabby. I am probably one of the stronger guys in my weight category if anything. I am relatively strong but I am still somewhat flexible(I can touch my toes and my face to my leg, I can even put my feet behind my head if that means anything :)). From what I've learned, as long as you stretch and do weight training, you'll be fine.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
training under the Rickson Gracie Lineage, I can tell you that the whole family agrees Rickson is the undisputed champion of Jiu-jitsu. The only person who has ever come close to beating him was Rolls Gracie (RIP), who was largely responsible for Rickson's skill level

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Also, Rickson doesn't lift weights. Rickson Gracie does a form of Yoga several hours each day, along with Kokyu (breath excercises). He does pull ups and thats about the extent of his "weight" training.

Echsos

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Some people are just genetic freaks who don't require weightlifting to be strong and ripped. Just look at Carlos Newton, all he does is pushups and situps.