BJJ and flexibility...

Laoshi77

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I just wanted to ask if any of you supplement your training in BJJ with Yoga or Taijiquan (Tai Chi).

I know of one or two people mentioning they do (on the Tai Chi board) so I thought I would ask this board itself for a greater understanding. I just wondered how popular it was.

Rickson Gracie, Diego Sanchez and B.J Penn are just a few names which spring to mind who do practise these alternative systems.

Namaste.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yoga makes a big difference for me. It not only helps improve my functional flexibility on the mat, it helps reduce soreness from training and helps my recovery time.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yoga is great for any intense physical activity. But I don't treat it as an alternative system... more like eating better vegetables with a well-rounded meal.

I tried one class of Bikram Yoga, where they heat up the room. That, coupled with daily yoga stretches and warm stretching prior to training greatly increased my flexibility. I can do the splits now!

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Way out of my area, but I will add that from my experience with trying to learn a Jujitsu move (And I can't remember exactly what that move was, but it was some sort of transition into an armbar) I kept beaning the other guy in the head with my heal, because I wasn't flexible enough to do it correctly.

Based on that experience alone, I say flexibility will help a lot.

CanadianCommando

White Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I definitely reccomend adding Yoga to your routines, at least a couple days a week. It'll build both flexibility and strength, and will loosen you up so that you avoid injuries.

Chris.

Latest Discussions