Royce Gracie vs. Bruce Lee

C

Cobra

Who would win if the one of the best proven fighter Royce Gracie went against the fast kicking Bruce Lee. Kinda a battle between grappling and striking. Royce Gracie has won virtually every match in his fighting career, and Bruce Lee is one tough martial artist.

Bruce Lee is one of the fastest fighter ever with a wide array of deadly kicks. He has one of the most devastating kicks at his time.

Royce Gracie one just about every match in his life as a true fighter. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Royce Gracie was undefeated in his whole fighting career.

Royce Gracie might be man that has beaten them all, but has he really been in the ring with Bruce Lee?

Hard call, but I would have to go with Royce Gracie. Just because I think he has been in more matches than Bruce Lee and knows how to beat fighters with Lee's style.

OP
H

Hanzo04

you are absolutely wrong. royce has never even seen a fighter like bruce and never will. just hearing bruce's name being called would scare the living crap out of him. and besides Bruce may not have been the best fighter of all time, since there is know such thing, but he is the smartest and he would have figured out a way to beat him. he is simply to fast!

Reactions: Bod
OP
M

markulous

Royce Gracie would get knocked out in less than a minute. There is NO WAY he is in any way shape or form better than Bruce. In a ring with lots of rules might give Royce some more time but Bruce would still beat the living crap out of him.

Props to Royce for his great record in UFC but Bruce is the man. He developed his own system, adapted and fused martial arts together to fit himself, and just sent martial arts flying in a completely new direction. His accomplishments as a human being and a martial artist 1000% overshadow those of Royce.

And trust me he has never run in to anyone(or knows how to deal with) that has Bruce Lee's style.

Reactions: Bod

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I take it you're talking Bruce Lee using JKD against Royce Gracie using BJJ?

Well, from the copious amounts of UFC footage I've watched, Gracie fighters use the tactic of diving at their opponent's legs, then grappling to submission.

The first problem Royce would have is Bruce wouldn't be standing still, he'd be skipping around and staying on the move (unlike a lot of UFC fighters) so I think Royce would find the tackle hard. When Royce did go in for his leg tackle, in all fairness, Bruce Lee was so fast and powerful I think he's just kick Royce in the face as he came in and that would probably end it.

Kudos to Gracie for not only his balls but his record as well, but against Bruce Lee? My £10 would be on Lee every time.

Ian.

p.s. according to Royce's stats at Sherdog he lost twice...

http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/fightfinder.asp?fighterid=19

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you were really serious about the question I'd say go to a Dan Inosanto seminar and ask him. He trained with Bruce for years, and is a BJJ black belt.

Now on to the real question.... can Batman take Superman???

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Batman, for all his good intentions, was just a rich guy with cool toys. Superman, able to change the course of mighty rivers and bend steel in his bare hands, would win easily... Batman was barely able to take on the Joker, the Penguin, Catwoman without help from Alfred, Aunt Harriet, and yes, the Boy Wonder... even King Tut gave him a hard time, and he was out of his mind, obese, and had no skills whatsoever.

The real question is 1927 Yankees vs 2000 Yankees or '55 Dodgers vs '86 Mets...

these are questions that have puzzled great minds for decades...

pete

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
pete said:
Batman, for all his good intentions, was just a rich guy with cool toys. Superman, able to change the course of mighty rivers and bend steel in his bare hands, would win easily... Batman was barely able to take on the Joker, the Penguin, Catwoman without help from Alfred, Aunt Harriet, and yes, the Boy Wonder... even King Tut gave him a hard time, and he was out of his mind, obese, and had no skills whatsoever.
pete

Congrats Pete on your 200 posts!!! :partyon:

You're talking of the wimpy Batman in the old '60's show. That Batman would never be able to beat Superman! However, the Batman I know from the Animated Series and the comic books (there really is no such character as Aunt Harriet) could "beat" him or at least have a very good chance! :) His mind and use of strategy is his strongest point and he does have Kryptonite stored in the Batcave to use if Superman ever got out of control. There was storyline going on in the JLA comic series (last year maybe) for awhile about how Batman was investigating all the other members in the Justice League and he found ways to take all of them out if he had to. Everyone else in the Justice League were not very happy with him when they found that out.
costumed-smiley-009.gif

I suppose it doesn't really matter as they don't really exist but I'm just partial to Batman. ;) He's my favorite hero! :D

Robyn :asian:
costumed-smiley-009.gif

OP
M

marshallbd

pete said:
The real question is 1927 Yankees vs 2000 Yankees or '55 Dodgers vs '86 Mets...

these are questions that have puzzled great minds for decades...

pete
'55 Dodgers for sure....no question about it!! :asian:

OP
W

WLMantisKid

I dont know if anyone else has seen the gracies in pride fighting but they get WORN OUT against strikers who know what they're doing. The Sakuraba's practically played with the gracies in the ring.

So hands down, I'm going to say Bruce Lee would knock Royce Gracie out... easy.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
dearnis.com said:
If you were really serious about the question I'd say go to a Dan Inosanto seminar and ask him. He trained with Bruce for years, and is a BJJ black belt.

Now on to the real question.... can Batman take Superman???

Batman will win because he has the Kryptonite gloves he carries on his utility belt :D ;)

OP
W

WLMantisKid

Does Superman have a utility belt or a super-mobile? Didnt think so :p

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cobra said:
Who would win if the one of the best proven fighter Royce Gracie went against the fast kicking Bruce Lee. Kinda a battle between grappling and striking. Royce Gracie has won virtually every match in his fighting career, and Bruce Lee is one tough martial artist.

Bruce Lee is one of the fastest fighter ever with a wide array of deadly kicks. He has one of the most devastating kicks at his time.

Royce Gracie one just about every match in his life as a true fighter. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Royce Gracie was undefeated in his whole fighting career.

Royce Gracie might be man that has beaten them all, but has he really been in the ring with Bruce Lee?

Hard call, but I would have to go with Royce Gracie. Just because I think he has been in more matches than Bruce Lee and knows how to beat fighters with Lee's style.
In the spirit of the Michael Douglas tv show (I think) where Bruce Lee nailed a Tai Chi master after a wonderful demonstration of Chi manipulation:

Corpes don't hit back..... Bruce is dead. Royce is alive....pretty clear to me.

I don't know about the 'best proven fighter thing either' the Gracies have a love affair with 'fight parameters' that sort of stack the deck in their favor. Now that the UFC has turned into a body building look alike wt. class competition I don't see too many of the Gracies in the mix....

OP
W

WLMantisKid

I don't know about the 'best proven fighter thing either' the Gracies have a love affair with 'fight parameters' that sort of stack the deck in their favor. Now that the UFC has turned into a body building look alike wt. class competition I don't see too many of the Gracies in the mix....

Like I said, the Sakuraba's toyed with the gracies (including Royce) in pride fighting, even with their own rules stacked in their favor. By play I mean the Sakuraba's would spank them, tap on their head and other things. The Gracie's cant handle a skilled striker.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
more powerful than a locomotive. able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. look up in the sky.

its a bird

its a plane.

its a frog a frog?

not plane, nor bird, not even frog... just little ole me...

hedgehogey

Green Belt
Reaction score
All right, that's it. Now you've all really done it. God do I hate fanboys.

1: Saying "he couldn't use his leg tackle cause bruce does the skippy stuff" is...god I don't know how to fully get across what a stupid statement that is...Look, out of the hundreds of such skippy people the gracies fought, they've always succesfully used their "leg tackle" (it's called a takedown, numbnuts) against anyone who tried to dance around with them, including pro boxers. In fact, if you or any other lee nutrider think you can do better, the gracie challenge is open, with a 100,000$ prize if you can beat one gracie blackbelt.

2: Sakuraba is not a striker. He is a WRESTLER. A very good one at that. Sakuraba (singular) has never won a match by KO, all by submission

3: The gracies have been doing vale tudo since the 1930s. They have the benefit of almost a century of experience, the most modern equipment and supplements, the best coaches, etc.

4: Jun Fan fighter getting "leg tackled" in his UFC debut: Guy called "el tiburon" in ufc 3

5: Bruce is dead. Royce is alive. This whole debate is stupid.

I very much respect lee's ideas and his prototypical MMA stance, but he wasn't a proffesional fighter.

OP
W

WLMantisKid

Ok, so the SakurabaS might not be strikers, but they still ripped the Gracie's apart.

gusano

Orange Belt
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
I don't know about the 'best proven fighter thing either' the Gracies have a love affair with 'fight parameters' that sort of stack the deck in their favor. ...
The Gracie challenge has existed in Brasil for 75 years to this day. The challenge is for a fight without rules. If these are the parameters you refer to then the Gracies have stacked the deck to win a no rules fight and thereby proven the effectiveness of GJJ.

If Bruce and Royce fought 100 times it could come out different ways with different victors each time. If Superman fought Batman he would destroy him!
If my sister had a penis it would be bigger than mine...I mean, she'd be my brother. IF in one hand and defecate in the other and see which one fills up first!

Hedgehogey has restored my faith in mankind!

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
gusano said:
The Gracie challenge has existed in Brasil for 75 years to this day. The challenge is for a fight without rules. If these are the parameters you refer to then the Gracies have stacked the deck to win a no rules fight and thereby proven the effectiveness of GJJ.

If Bruce and Royce fought 100 times it could come out different ways with different victors each time. If Superman fought Batman he would destroy him!
If my sister had a penis it would be bigger than mine...I mean, she'd be my brother. IF in one hand and defecate in the other and see which one fills up first!

Hedgehogey has restored my faith in mankind!
I agree with a different outcome every time.

If there are no rules, similiar to UFC type fights when it first started, why havent' any players lost an eye ball, or torn an ear off, popped testicles.....brought a gun, knife, staff.....remember there are 'no rules.'

Latest Discussions