Roundhouse kick - lean back for head kicks, stand straight for body kicks

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Not hitting and getting hit back. The more you lean the less control you have over your body upon impact. There is a bonus though that your opponent has a harder time countering to your face so it depends and you have to weigh these things out.
I think you're both correct.

Having your kick caught a few hundred times helps you realize the pros and cons of leaning this way and that.
How you control your center of gravity (leaning back or remaining more upright) must correspond with your approach to takedown defense and wrestling.

Side-on, long kickers must pull back and "ride the wave" of pressure and trips their opponent tries but it takes serious agility then good wrestling to escape/prevent a single leg.
Remaining more upright and forward focused with the upper body can sacrifice a some reach but allows you to more easily crash back into your opponent like a wave of your own when wrestling or defending.
Two different approaches, but both have merit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you're both correct.

Having your kick caught a few hundred times helps you realize the pros and cons of leaning this way and that.
How you control your center of gravity (leaning back or remaining more upright) must correspond with your approach to takedown defense and wrestling.

Side-on, long kickers must pull back and "ride the wave" of pressure and trips their opponent tries but it takes serious agility then good wrestling to escape/prevent a single leg.
Remaining more upright and forward focused with the upper body can sacrifice a some reach but allows you to more easily crash back into your opponent like a wave of your own when wrestling or defending.
Two different approaches, but both have merit.

I agree there are pros and cons. However, my post was directed at someone who makes a bunch of wild claims with an air of absolute authority regarding them.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree there are pros and cons. However, my post was directed at someone who makes a bunch of wild claims with an air of absolute authority regarding them.

It is not a wild claim to suggest that it's easier for me to get you out of balance when you are leaning. That's just physics.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I see. I am not caught up on this thread at all so sorry yal.
Those are just some of my thoughts on leaning, kicking, wrestling, fighting.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And if you're front-heavy (which you are if you stand straight and your kick is in front of you), the less control you have if you miss.

I don't advocate front heavy. Just a slight pivot to the side is enough. Get's you out of the center, just like a boxer moves his head and keeps your posture solid.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't advocate front heavy. Just a slight pivot to the side is enough. Get's you out of the center, just like a boxer moves his head and keeps your posture solid.

What do you mean by "pivot to the side"?