Rooting and Bad Weight Distribution

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hey, you and Joy were the ones that seemed to think that acupuncture expertise had anything to do with this discussion, not me. :rolleyes:

You like to make assumptions don't you, I never said it was important, your last assumption made it necessary for me to let you know that I know where the Yongchuan was without looking it up, that is where the acupuncture came in as well as my over 20 years in CIMA, which you seemed to ignore.

But to stop your attempt to redirect the post away from the point of my posts and your misconception that close to the K1 is the K1...let me bring it back to point...... the K1 is the K1 and you are the one saying that you pivot near the K1 and claiming that it is close enough to be the K1.... and it isn't.

You can pivot wherever you like, I do not really care nor and I telling you that you are right or wrong to pivot there. I am however telling you that to say that near the K1 is the K1 is wrong.

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
He does that, but he is hardly the only on.

The reason for asking KPM what he is doing when pivoting is that neutral questions draw out understanding if it is there, lack of understanding if not. I don't have any wish to get into an entrenched argument

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You like to make assumptions don't you, I never said it was important, your last assumption made it necessary for me to let you know that I know where the Yongchuan was without looking it up, that is where the acupuncture came in as well as my over 20 years in CIMA, which you seemed to ignore.

But to stop your attempt to redirect the post away from the point of my posts and your misconception that close to the K1 is the K1...let me bring it back to point...... the K1 is the K1 and you are the one saying that you pivot near the K1 and claiming that it is close enough to be the K1.... and it isn't.

You can pivot wherever you like, I do not really care nor and I telling you that you are right or wrong to pivot there. I am however telling you that to say that near the K1 is the K1 is wrong.

FWIW, I have always found your posts well reasoned and knowledgeable.

YM VT pivots in front of the heel, the third nail in your picture. The reason can be worked out if you consider what is generally the reason for pivoting in the system. This is not to say that the system advocates walking around on the heels, that it is back weighted, or any of the other trivial objections to heel pivoting. It is what it is because of the way it works as a system.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

---Well, my apologies then. I didn't mean anything personal. I was simply pointing out that ANYONE could look up K1 to get a visual reference. Sorry if assuming that is what you did (since I know nothing about you) was offensive to you.

---If you are trying to stick an acupuncture needle in it, then yes, I agree. But if you are simply trying to give someone a reference point to increase communication, then it is indeed "close enough." I don't know why you are arguing this point. It isn't worth arguing about.

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you are trying to stick an acupuncture needle in it, then yes, I agree. But if you are simply trying to give someone a reference point to increase communication, then it is indeed "close enough." I don't know why you are arguing this point. It isn't worth arguing about.

Do you pivot on the K1 or somewhere else?

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey, you and Joy were the ones that seemed to think that acupuncture expertise had anything to do with this discussion, not me. :rolleyes:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
mispresenting my position., I did not maintain that acupuncture is related to stance.ead carefully.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
mispresenting my position., I did not maintain that acupuncture is related to stance.ead carefully.

I did read carefully. But perhaps you did not. Both you and Xue referenced people that do acupuncture, which had absolutely no bearing on the discussion. So I pointed out that I also do acupuncture, even though it has no bearing on this discussion. Then Xue felt the need to do the "one-upmanship" thing and point out that I couldn't possibly know acupuncture better then his wife! Which also had no bearing on this discussion. Again, I'm not the one that brought up acupuncture as part of the discussion on pivoting in Wing Chun. You and Xue did that. Please go back and read carefully.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I did read carefully. But perhaps you did not. Both you and Xue referenced people that do acupuncture, which had absolutely no bearing on the discussion. So I pointed out that I also do acupuncture, even though it has no bearing on this discussion. Then Xue felt the need to do the "one-upmanship" thing and point out that I couldn't possibly know acupuncture better then his wife! Which also had no bearing on this discussion. Again, I'm not the one that brought up acupuncture as part of the discussion on pivoting in Wing Chun. You and Xue did that. Please go back and read carefully.

you have wasted enough of my time, you have a nice day

Herbie

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Take home lesson for me, being a newbie to this forum: no need to go past about page 2 on any given thread.
Y'all have fun. Remember to get up and walk around at least once per hour, to keep your circulation going. And make sure your monitor is at the right height so you don't get neck pain.
Kirk out.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, definitely not on the balls of the feet. That is why it is easier to reference K1 (since it IS close to that spot)....so people clearly see that it is NOT on the balls of the feet!

Fair enough. If you do go on to the balls of your feet and then pivot. You either have good rooting or you fall over.

It is kind of cool. Alighn everything and it works.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Take home lesson for me, being a newbie to this forum: no need to go past about page 2 on any given thread.
Y'all have fun. Remember to get up and walk around at least once per hour, to keep your circulation going. And make sure your monitor is at the right height so you don't get neck pain.
Kirk out.

You learn fast. :)

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi. I realize this is an old thread, but as I also trained in the Yip Ching lineage for some time, and experienced the same thing as you, I have some thoughts on this:

The way I was taught Chum Kiu was to shift nearly 100% of weight onto the back foot even when pivoting only 45 degrees. This, of course, became habit, and I found myself very often with no structure / being uprooted in chisau when turning with punches or bong sau. This is because I was shifting too much weight, too quickly, compared to how much I was pivoting. I since changed my practice keeping my weight more forward, and, if shifting weight to the "rearish" foot, doing so purportionally to my facing (so, if you practice say, all weight on the rear leg when turned 90, try only 66%/33% when shifted 45 degrees in your form).

Weight distribution needn't be precise, of course, and some people use 50-50 all the time, even, whilst others vary. But the way CK is taught in the form, in the Yip Ching lineage, I think it cultivates a habit of throwing one's self off balance when shifting small amounts in chisau, so I have long since dropped this practice.

This is one thing that irritates me just a bit with the way WC is taught / practiced, because I am a very habitual person. Some people can practice a form one way, and then do things totally different in sparring or chisau, but I don't do that (and don't think it's really a good thing, as our training should be consistent). And, of course, as a student, you will generally be corrected / are not really encouraged to question or change your habits when you find, after much practice and open-minded experimentation, potential defects in the way you are taught -- unless you have a very open minded teacher, at least!

Reactions: KPM

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is one thing that irritates me just a bit with the way WC is taught / practiced, because I am a very habitual person. Some people can practice a form one way, and then do things totally different in sparring or chisau, but I don't do that (and don't think it's really a good thing, as our training should be consistent). And, of course, as a student, you will generally be corrected / are not really encouraged to question or change your habits when you find, after much practice and open-minded experimentation, potential defects in the way you are taught -- unless you have a very open minded teacher, at least!

This is also why I don't like the exaggerated YGKYM with the knees all "pinched inward" that some people use and say it is a "training stance", and then they use a much more relaxed "neutral stance" when actually doing Chi Sau, etc.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is also why I don't like the exaggerated YGKYM with the knees all "pinched inward" that some people use and say it is a "training stance", and then they use a much more relaxed "neutral stance" when actually doing Chi Sau, etc.

Yes, I have done chi sao with people who stand there in the same manner that they would stand at the water cooler at work while asking if you saw the latest episode of GREY'S ANATOMY (or whatever show people discuss around water coolers).

Latest Discussions