Rooting and Bad Weight Distribution

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think KPM's point is that these are highly competent people, so there is clearly more than one way to effectively accomplish stance turning.

Not such a strange concept. After all, the dummy is basically a tree!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wing chun world is full of different ways of doing things. Ok by me

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree. I respect all. Well most:D..
I do respect you and Sifu Fongs approach!

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never said, or even implied, pivot on the heal, and near the Yongquan is not the Yongquan

Referencing the K1 point is pretty darn close, and people that know a little about acupuncture will immediately recognize the reference, and those that don't can do a quick google search (as you did) to get a nice visual reference. So if you weren't referring to pivoting on the heels, nor near the K1 point, just exactly what were you talking about?

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What do you tend to be doing when pivoting KPM?

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
What do you tend to be doing when pivoting KPM?

Pivoting. What else? What are you doing? I'm not walking into another one of your "guess what I'm thinking so I can jump on you when you answer" kind of threads. ;)

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Pivoting. What else? What are you doing? I'm not walking into another one of your "guess what I'm thinking so I can jump on you when you answer" kind of threads. ;)

Why are you pivoting?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Referencing the K1 point is pretty darn close, and people that know a little about acupuncture will immediately recognize the reference, and those that don't can do a quick google search (as you did) to get a nice visual reference. So if you weren't referring to pivoting on the heels, nor near the K1 point, just exactly what were you talking about?

My wife is a traditional Chinese medical doctor from China and has been for many years..... I have studied Internal Chinese martial arts and qigong for over 20 years I know what the Yongquan point is without a google search.

As for what I was talking about; if you bothered to read the previous posts you would see post #5 and would have seen wingchun100 asked

Thanks for the tips! Unfortunately, just one part of it escapes me. That would be "K1." I am not sure what that means.

I provided a picture to answer the question

As for your assumption about my intention to show pivoting you are just plain wrong. No one pivots on the Yongquan, it is where you root, and pivoting near the Yongquan is not the Yngquan. As for heel pivoting, not a common practice either.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
As for heel pivoting, not a common practice either.

As I said, K1 is close enough for most people to have a reference. And in Pin Sun, we are taught to pivot at the K1 point as closely as we can. So what do you see as the common practice for pivoting?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
As I said, K1 is close enough for most people to have a reference.

Not for me, sorry

And in Pin Sun, we are taught to pivot at the K1 point as closely as we can. So what do you see as the common practice for pivoting?

Pivoting depends on why you are pivoting and what you are trying to do as it applies to energy coming in or going out. Wing Chun, JKD, Taijiquan, XIngyiquan, Baguazhang all handle things differently, and admittedly my Wing Chun and JKD Backgrounds are light compared to the other 3, but a pivot on the K1 would be hard under duress. This is likely where and why William CC Chen refer to the 3 nails

3nails1.jpg

It makes pivoting easier to understand. And there are reasons to pivot on the heel and the other 2 nails,if you are talking Bagua, Xingyi and Taijiquan, but mostly you will find pivoting easiest a bit in front of the yongchuan (K1). But a bit in front is not the K1, it is a bit in front of the K1

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not for me, sorry

Pivoting depends on why you are pivoting and what you are trying to do as it applies to energy coming in or going out. Wing Chun, JKD, Taijiquan, XIngyiquan, Baguazhang all handle things differently, and admittedly my Wing Chun and JKD Backgrounds are light compared to the other 3, but a pivot on the K1 would be hard under duress. This is likely where and why William CC Chen refer to the 3 nails

3nails1.jpg

It makes pivoting easier to understand. And there are reasons to pivot on the heel and the other 2 nails,if you are talking Bagua, Xingyi and Taijiquan, but mostly you will find pivoting easiest a bit in front of the yongchuan (K1). But a bit in front is not the K1, it is a bit in front of the K1

What you are showing is not Wing Chun pivoting, and it sounds like you don't really do much Wing Chun. Hence why we have not been talking about the same thing. A pivot at K1 one is much more stable under duress than a pivot on the heel. Again, it doesn't seem like you have Wing Chun-specific pivoting in mind.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My wife is a traditional Chinese medical doctor from China and has been for many years..... I have studied Internal Chinese martial arts and qigong for over 20 years I know what the Yongquan point is without a google search.

As for what I was talking about; if you bothered to read the previous posts you would see post #5 and would have seen wingchun100 asked

I provided a picture to answer the question

As for your assumption about my intention to show pivoting you are just plain wrong. No one pivots on the Yongquan, it is where you root, and pivoting near the Yongquan is not the Yngquan. As for heel pivoting, not a common practice either.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a very good acupuncturist-an ex associate professor from Tian jin China-he would agree with you on Ki. As fas as being "near K1- what does that have to with Ki/

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a very good acupuncturist-an ex associate professor from Tian jin China-he would agree with you on Ki. As fas as being "near K1- what does that have to with Ki/

I could say "the pivot point is at the middle of the foot just front of center but not as far forward as the ball of the foot." Or I could just say it is at K1 (close enough) and people can see it on a diagram as was posted here. For what its worth, I trained in and practice acupuncture myself. But so what? And I never posted "Ki". That was someone else's mis-type, not mine.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
For what its worth, I trained in and practice acupuncture myself. .

Seriously doubt the level of training and experience is remotely close to my wife training and experience...... but that is neither here nor there on this topic.... I maintain that....near the K1 is not the K1... there is no close enough... it either is..or it isn't...... I'm out of this....have a nice day

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

If I typed Ki it was a typographical error, my apologies....It should have been K1(K-One).

However if you follow Dr Yang o rooting there is a rooting training he is supposed to project Qi from the K1 into the ground...Whether it works or not as far as projecting qi goes, I have no idea, but the visualization does produce a strong root

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score

He does that, but he is hardly the only one.

The OP didn't actually say he pivoted in his heels, FWIW. Just that he felt his weight rocking back into them when he pivoted.

However many microns either side of K1 you might pivot probably isn't all that relevant.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
So you are not on the balls of your feet?

No, definitely not on the balls of the feet. That is why it is easier to reference K1 (since it IS close to that spot)....so people clearly see that it is NOT on the balls of the feet!

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seriously doubt the level of training and experience is remotely close to my wife training and experience\

Hey, you and Joy were the ones that seemed to think that acupuncture expertise had anything to do with this discussion, not me. :rolleyes:

Latest Discussions