What are your thoughts on the footage of Yip Man released just before his death?

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
My thought is that it is a crying shame no one got footage of him in his prime. I'm sure that footage is not Ip Man at his best. In some of what I say he seems to hesitate at times as if he was forgetting the sequence.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree. I would love to see early footage.
There is a rumor that Leung Ting actually has earlier footage but who knows?... could just be a whole lot of wishful thinking.
Regardless, I find what we do have to be inspirational. Like you said KPM, it certainly isnt him at 8his best, but you can definitely see the product of a lifetime of kung fu training.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wish he hadn't been so ill so they could have captured him doing all the forms. The way he stops to cough during that dummy form always makes me so sad.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I too wish there was footage of him in his prime. However, I'm glad this footage exists. There are at least a couple of times where he was obviously struggling due to his cancer, but much respect to him for putting it out there. I admire what he has done for Martial Arts.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I too wish there was footage of him in his prime. However, I'm glad this footage exists. There are at least a couple of times where he was obviously struggling due to his cancer, but much respect to him for putting it out there. I admire what he has done for Martial Arts.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am glad that footage is there. He was very ill but died a day or two after wards. Rumor has it that HK police administrator has some films of him when he taught some members of the HK police. Leung Ting supposedly bought the film. My sigung Ho Kam Ming did not need any film. He learned directly from Ip Man for many years..and stayed in regular touch with him and met with him on the day of IM's death before returning to Macao. My sifu Fong also got corrected by Ip Man on his visits to HKM's Macao school. The well done half century of HKM wing chun has many pictures of Ip Man.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am glad that footage is there. He was very ill but died a day or two after wards. Rumor has it that HK police administrator has some films of him when he taught some members of the HK police. Leung Ting supposedly bought the film. My sigung Ho Kam Ming did not need any film. He learned directly from Ip Man for many years..and stayed in regular touch with him and met with him on the day of IM's death before returning to Macao. My sifu Fong also got corrected by Ip Man on his visits to HKM's Macao school. The well done half century of HKM wing chun has many pictures of Ip Man.

Which Fong...Francis or Augustine? I study now under a gentleman who trained with Augustine and Jack Ling, who I have not met but I understand touched hands with Bruce Lee. I'm not going to get started on the whole "Bruce was a good/bad wing chun man" debate, but there is no denying he WAS a legend, so to meet people who knew him is pretty cool...to me, anyway.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Which Fong...Francis or Augustine? I study now under a gentleman who trained with Augustine and Jack Ling, who I have not met but I understand touched hands with Bruce Lee. I'm not going to get started on the whole "Bruce was a good/bad wing chun man" debate, but there is no denying he WAS a legend, so to meet people who knew him is pretty cool...to me, anyway.[/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was referring to Augustine Fong not Francis Fong. Your group may have a connection to Kenneth Chung?

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score

I haven't been training with this Sifu too long, so I have not heard that name yet. I will ask about it though, because now I am curious.

OP
M

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score

I'm curious Joy, did Sifu Fong have anything to say about Yip Man's skill?

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
-----------------------------------------

yes-incredible
-----------------------------------------

yes-incredible
He had great hands -his kicks were even better
13934914_1649687865345004_8231046980237044025_n.jpg