Rocky Mountain Oysters

R

rupton

hardheadjarhead said:
Okay.

For years now I've known of "Rocky Mountain Oysters," which are the testicles of a pig, bull, or other farm animal fry cooked in a pan and eaten by people.

Over the years I've run into a number of people who claim to have eaten them, smacked their lips and grinned (an evil grin, I might add) and commented on how good they were. I always wondered if they were lying.

Yesterday my wife and I were at the "Butcher Block," our towns most excellent resource for meat...and damned if I didn't see frozen pigs testicles.

I bought them.

The butcher acted as if I was demented.

In looking for a recipe I came across several sites I thought I'd share. They're rather...interesting.

http://www.funlinked.com/testicle/

http://www.beavercleaver.net/recipe.htm

I've always been one of those people who prides himself on eating just about anything. Rattlesnake, octopus, squid, pig intestines, tripe, liver, heart, sweetbreads, kidneys...but never this.

When I cook them up, I'll let you know how it goes.

Regards,

Steve
Steve,

WARNING, whatever you do dont _DON'T_ eat them fresh. A friend of mine told me once that if I tried them I abosolutely HAD to try them fresh. I tell you what, I took one bite and that bull drug me through three fences and a pasture before I could let go. So don't eat them fresh ;-)

OP
hardheadjarhead

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm amazed at the number of "festivals" nationwide celebrating the ingestion of these glandular delicacies.

When I was in the Phillipines in '81 I recall seeing a butcher in Subic City who sold everything...everything...off a pig. Dangling down from his rack was a pig's penis. Somebody was going to buy that and cook it for chow.

I won't go that far.

Regards,

Steve

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for the mental image there Steve-o. Geez.

"Hey! What's for Dinner??"
"Uhh, the OTHER white meat..."

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So if you don't like them and spend the dinner hour just pushing them around your plate with your fork, can I be the first to yell out....

"Quiting Picking at Your Nuts!"
Could'nt resist

you probably should'nt have told first-not a ton of moral support

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Loved the "fresh" joke!

I agree, not much moral support here for poor old Mr. Scott. Bite the bullet and eat 'em, dude!

OP
hardheadjarhead

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
The plan is for me to cook them tonight.

I've composed a song, sung to the tune of West Side Story's "Tonight."

Tonight, tonight,
Won't be just any night,
Tonight my fragile courage may freeze!
Tonight, tonight, I'll see whether tonight
I have the guts to eat pork testes!

Today the minutes seem like hours,
The dread hours go so slowly,
And still the sky is light . . .

Oh moon, grow bright,
And get me through these oysters tonight!

Tonight!

Regards,

Steve

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let us know how that plan goes, Steve.

OP
hardheadjarhead

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I did it.

Everybody's encouragement here has been appreciated. I note that with a little modification your exhortations to "go and do it," turns into "gonad do it."

The first question that might spring to your lips, "Did I swallow?"

Yes, I did.

Second question, perhaps, "What did it taste like?"

Chicken. Sorta.

Actually it tasted very similar to chicken gizzards, with a slight almost liver flavor mixed in. It has a very weak flavor altogether, not unpleasant if you've eaten other glandular meats (sweetbreads, kidney, liver) or heart. The consistency and texture was similar to kidney or gizzards.

Had I been a better cook, they might have been more palatable. As it was, they were nothing to rave about. I can't see all the fuss.

One pigs testicle is about the size of a woman's fist. It is covered by a sort of fascia that ought to be cut away. This fascia is so tough as to make the job difficult. I suspect a bull's testicle would provide enough "swing meat" for two people. I wonder how big a whale's testicle is? An elephant's?

The smell of cooking testicles is unpleasant.

My next phase of this experiment is to find a sow in heat and see if I can impregnate her by lifting her tail and burping near her nether regions.

Regards,

Steve

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
Actually it tasted very similar to chicken gizzards, with a slight almost liver flavor mixed in. It has a very weak flavor altogether, not unpleasant if you've eaten other glandular meats (sweetbreads, kidney, liver) or heart. The consistency and texture was similar to kidney or gizzards.

...<snip>...

:barf:

hardheadjarhead said:
My next phase of this experiment is to find a sow in heat and see if I can impregnate her by lifting her tail and burping near her nether regions.
:erg::confused:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
The thought of cooking testicles is unpleasant. But, congratulations on your bravery! Still, in Buffalo next month, let's stick to pizza and wings, eh?

Mark Barlow

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Finish out this buffet with brains and eggs followed by chitlins.

Growing up in the rural South, I've eaten mountain oysters, brains, chitlins, tripe, gizzards, livers, possum, squirrel and worse. Surprisingly, I'd still rather eat "country" than typical fast food. If anyone wonders what possum tastes like...kinda like bald eagle.

K

kenpochad

The Kai said:
So if you don't like them and spend the dinner hour just pushing them around your plate with your fork, can I be the first to yell out....

"Quiting Picking at Your Nuts!"
Could'nt resist

you probably should'nt have told first-not a ton of moral support
DONT DO THAT YOU WILL GO BLIND !!!!!!!!!!!!!
icon10.gif

OP
hardheadjarhead

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mark Barlow said:
Finish out this buffet with brains and eggs followed by chitlins.

Growing up in the rural South, I've eaten mountain oysters, brains, chitlins, tripe, gizzards, livers, possum, squirrel and worse. Surprisingly, I'd still rather eat "country" than typical fast food. If anyone wonders what possum tastes like...kinda like bald eagle.

I've had brains. Years ago. Won't touch 'em now. I've had chitlins, tripe, gizzard, deer/elk/beef/pork liver, thymus/pancreas (sweetbreads). I've had rabbit and rattlesnake. I've had octopus and squid and sea cucumber (which isn't a cucumber) and shark and sharksfin soup. Have yet to taste possum or squirrel. Or bald eagle, for that matter.

I've heard in Denmark one can get whale, reindeer, and seal...and I want to try those provided their licensed kills and not endangering their respective species. I also want to try monkey meat.

So many species, so little time...but I've just about run out of body parts to try.

And no, Arnisador, I won't follow your suggestion and try the pig's "winkie."

Regards,

Steve

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bravo to you Steve for your new culinary adventure!

I hope all the testosterone doesn't set you over the legal limit. :D

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
I've had brains. Years ago.
Yes, I've met Mr. Scott and I'll vouch for the fact that he no longer has brains. :rofl:

And no, Arnisador, I won't follow your suggestion and try the pig's "winkie."
Pizza and wings it is. Have you tried the ice cream place down the road from Datu Puti's studio yet? It's called Antionettes, and it's great.I still owe Dr. Gyi a trip there, as he's reminded me.

Latest Discussions