Ring vs battlefield versions of MAs

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Im pretty sure that whether youre learning for sport, or for combatives, thats the same.
I will, however, disagree with taking hundreds of strikes - But, i suspect you were exaggerating, and that it just didnt translate too well into text.

My mistake, I meant both sides throwing hundreds of strikes in a competition fight. Not necessarily landing hundreds of clean strikes, nor landing that many at all.

All you need to do is bounce the other guys head off the ground.

If only it were that easy :) I've had a guy go into street mode during hard sparring/prepping for a fight....and in the clinch, he grabbed my head and slammed the back of it into the bare concrete wall (our gym is a converted industrial warehouse). He was a fighter from an affiliate gym and this was the first time I was sparring him. I was beating him really bad right before this, and for many rounds so I guess he got frustrated and went into survival mode. Luckily, I had headgear on. It rung my bell, but didn't stop the fight. Needless to say, I was out for blood right after that and he started running. The bell rang and saved him. After that he avoided me the whole night.

Why not just KO them with one punch, like a ring fighting champ?

Why should I when I have a GUN with 10 rounds of hollowpoints, 1-2 spare mags + 2 knives? Just because I enjoy trying to KO people in the ring....you can't seem to accept the fact that I'm also proficient in the streets, bouncing at clubs, etc.

Combatives tend to involve the use of weapons. Im glad we can agree on why.

OK, but I can use weapons too. I'm almost always going to have a gun on me in States that allows conceal carry and reciprocates my permit. And I will certainly have a knife. Sparring with a rubber knife, I've already proven to myself that I can slash the hell out of these traditional Jujutsu sensei's who's main gig is such SD training with weapons. One is a 2nd dan and the other is a brown belt and both are active cops. And yes, they can fight. Just that when sparring with a rubber knife, they get slashed at least 8-10 times before they can grab me. Sometimes they even clinch me in a hug but misses my knife hand....and I'm there fake stabbing them profusely as we both laugh. And all of my knife fighting skills is mostly just using my skills as an MMA fighter....boxing with a knife + footwork + agility, speed, etc.

And here, we agree, sort of. Its almost like your reasoning is great, but your conclusions are a bit peculiar.
Im of the view that technique means much less than method. By that i mean, technique = push off the ground with the back foot, pull with the front foot, drop your weight, extend your rear knee, pivot on your feet, pivot on your hip, rotate your torso and your shoulder, engage your arm into the punch. Method = Punch the other guy in the face.
And im inclined to think that those abilities can come more from experience in hitting other people with your fists, i.e. sparring. I also think that that only teaches you that particular skill in a limited manner.

Put a knife in an experienced Boxer's hand. Who do you think is going to be faster in a knife fight? A trained Boxer who throws thousands of punches a week, training footwork, agility, endurance, reflex, etc... or someone who doesn't?

And if there's anything that can be learned from fighting knife-on-knife....it's just don't do it. The winner is the guy who's going to die latter in the hospital.

The average engagement takes place for much further away than you could possibly need unarmed work, certainly. But that doesnt mean the fighter isnt strong, fit, and mentally willing to go for you. He may not be as experienced, but even the experienced can be taken down by someone whos never even been in a fight. And it happens.

I don't doubt this at all. I was just trying to KO this big Brazilian gorilla just last week in 4 rounds of sparring. He was much bigger than me. I hit him with at least 4 solid shots to the face with looping overhand rights, and it didn't put him down. It rattled his confidence though. We both had headgear on, so that took off some damage. He was experienced too. On the ground, he would have been deadmeat as I've got over 2 years over him in BJJ. But size certainly does matter, as well as someone's desire to live. But I go through this much more often compared to someone who hardly spars for KO's...as most of my hard sparring is vs. guys my level. Then there are those who can whoop me, which tests all of my reactions, endurance and thresholds in moments of panic, fear, pain, confusion, etc.

MMA makes you better at striking, ill certainly agree. Im not disputing that. But like combatives, theyre often limited in what they teach. In MMA, if you get someone in an armbar, can you stomp on the side of their head? No. Can the person DOING MMA do that? Certainly. And so could anyone else who suddenly thought, in a real fight of any sort, "Hey, i could stomp on his head from here."
Technique < Quality of Training, is pretty much what im getting at. For my opinion on sports vs combatives, read my original reply.

A lot of people seems to think that MMA fighters are somehow forced to abide by MMA rules when they're fighting in the streets or on the battlefield of a war....like there's some kind of chip, implanted in an MMA fighter's head or something.

I don't really need someone to teach me how to head stomp nor soccer kick some guy unconscious on the ground that I just KO'ed on the battlefield, should I want to crush his skull in with my boots and kill him. It will just come automatically. Just think about it.....a full time fighter's goal in life is to knock people the F out or to hurt their opponent so bad that they quit. Beating your training partner down and watching him cower in fear and respecting you....feels soooooo good. It's a great feeling. Who's going to more likely do better in a H2H battlefield or street situation?

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who's going to more likely do better in a H2H battlefield or street situation?
The best answer is the best prepared and to be the best prepared one must include at a minimum some aspects of battlefield combat. Adapting to the "live" situation at hand. That excludes most martial arts including MMA.

The Filipino martial arts have a lot of practical applications for combative situations IMO more so than most arts. Excluding the use of guns guns of course. Transitioning to blades and empty hand, FMA's are very high on the list if not on top.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Cayuga Karate

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am continually perplexed why anyone would equate "battlefield" fighting with anything other than weapons fighting. When, in the history of mankind have men gone into battle unarmed?

There are those who might argue that there are times when empty hand techniques are useful when one "drops" a weapon. Why not just pick it up.

The whole discussion is predicated on an irrelevant scenario. In combat, onthe the battlefield, men have always fought with weapons. Period.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't doubt this at all. I was just trying to KO this big Brazilian gorilla just last week in 4 rounds of sparring. He was much bigger than me. I hit him with at least 4 solid shots to the face with looping overhand rights, and it didn't put him down. It rattled his confidence though. We both had headgear on, so that took off some damage.

wait so you intentionally try to knock out your training partners when you spar?

A lot of people seems to think that MMA fighters are somehow forced to abide by MMA rules when they're fighting in the streets or on the battlefield of a war....like there's some kind of chip, implanted in an MMA fighter's head or something.

I don't really need someone to teach me how to head stomp nor soccer kick some guy unconscious on the ground that I just KO'ed on the battlefield,

so you been to many battlefields where you just run around knocking people out?

Beating your training partner down and watching him cower in fear and respecting you....feels soooooo good. It's a great feeling.
yeah ok

Who's going to more likely do better in a H2H battlefield or street situation?
the one who doesnt think he can run around knock out people at will

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
My mistake, I meant both sides throwing hundreds of strikes in a competition fight. Not necessarily landing hundreds of clean strikes, nor landing that many at all.

Ah. That makes more sense :)

If only it were that easy :) I've had a guy go into street mode during hard sparring/prepping for a fight....and in the clinch, he grabbed my head and slammed the back of it into the bare concrete wall (our gym is a converted industrial warehouse). He was a fighter from an affiliate gym and this was the first time I was sparring him. I was beating him really bad right before this, and for many rounds so I guess he got frustrated and went into survival mode. Luckily, I had headgear on. It rung my bell, but didn't stop the fight. Needless to say, I was out for blood right after that and he started running. The bell rang and saved him. After that he avoided me the whole night.

I didnt mean to imply once would be enough - Did he maintain his grip and try to rinse and repeat, or did he just do it once?

Why should I when I have a GUN with 10 rounds of hollowpoints, 1-2 spare mags + 2 knives? Just because I enjoy trying to KO people in the ring....you can't seem to accept the fact that I'm also proficient in the streets, bouncing at clubs, etc.

*Shrugs* - I never said you werent proficient in anything. This isnt about you, mate. This is about MMA and combatives.
What im saying is, if what youre saying is that simple (landing clean hits, technique, and so forth), why do you need knives and guns when you have the almighty modern sport fighting thatll beat untrained or army dudes head to head?

OK, but I can use weapons too. I'm almost always going to have a gun on me in States that allows conceal carry and reciprocates my permit. And I will certainly have a knife. Sparring with a rubber knife, I've already proven to myself that I can slash the hell out of these traditional Jujutsu sensei's who's main gig is such SD training with weapons. One is a 2nd dan and the other is a brown belt and both are active cops. And yes, they can fight. Just that when sparring with a rubber knife, they get slashed at least 8-10 times before they can grab me. Sometimes they even clinch me in a hug but misses my knife hand....and I'm there fake stabbing them profusely as we both laugh. And all of my knife fighting skills is mostly just using my skills as an MMA fighter....boxing with a knife + footwork + agility, speed, etc.

Of course you can - So can an untrained meathead. And if he gets a good blow or stab in, no gun or knife in the world will save you.
Give a midget a weapon and he can massacre the best fighter in the world.

Put a knife in an experienced Boxer's hand. Who do you think is going to be faster in a knife fight? A trained Boxer who throws thousands of punches a week, training footwork, agility, endurance, reflex, etc... or someone who doesn't?

Sure - But im not sure that matters when youre getting stabbed out of nowhere.

And if there's anything that can be learned from fighting knife-on-knife....it's just don't do it. The winner is the guy who's going to die latter in the hospital.

Yep.

I don't doubt this at all. I was just trying to KO this big Brazilian gorilla just last week in 4 rounds of sparring. He was much bigger than me. I hit him with at least 4 solid shots to the face with looping overhand rights, and it didn't put him down. It rattled his confidence though. We both had headgear on, so that took off some damage. He was experienced too. On the ground, he would have been deadmeat as I've got over 2 years over him in BJJ. But size certainly does matter, as well as someone's desire to live. But I go through this much more often compared to someone who hardly spars for KO's...as most of my hard sparring is vs. guys my level. Then there are those who can whoop me, which tests all of my reactions, endurance and thresholds in moments of panic, fear, pain, confusion, etc.

So basically youre trying to say that because you have 2 years in BJJ, hed die horribly on the ground in a real fight? :p
Training boosts your chances - Its not a guarantee.

Actually, this is exactly where we agree. This has been my whole point. So, a soldier is fit, correct? An MMA fighter is fit, correct? Both of them have the mentality to get in there do it. Its person vs person. Not MMA vs Combatives. And much in the same way, 'untrained' people dont need to be taught any of the below either. Untrained doesnt mean retarded.

I don't really need someone to teach me how to head stomp nor soccer kick some guy unconscious on the ground that I just KO'ed on the battlefield, should I want to crush his skull in with my boots and kill him. It will just come automatically. Just think about it.....a full time fighter's goal in life is to knock people the F out or to hurt their opponent so bad that they quit. Beating your training partner down and watching him cower in fear and respecting you....feels soooooo good. It's a great feeling. Who's going to more likely do better in a H2H battlefield or street situation?

Whoever wins.

Its not just MMA fighters who have it come to them automatically, want to knock the other guy the F out, hurt their opponent so bad they want to quit, beat someone down so they cower in fear, and feel good doing it. Thats a huge percentage of the population.

Again, this is my whole point. Were in agreement on the reasoning, but somehow your conclusion ends up being that sparring is the decisive factor, by the sounds of it.

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The best answer is the best prepared and to be the best prepared one must include at a minimum some aspects of battlefield combat. Adapting to the "live" situation at hand. That excludes most martial arts including MMA.

The Filipino martial arts have a lot of practical applications for combative situations IMO more so than most arts. Excluding the use of guns guns of course. Transitioning to blades and empty hand, FMA's are very high on the list if not on top.

I agree with this. Which is why I visit different TMA gyms to spar and pick up different ideas, test my MMA arts vs. theirs, etc....and if I get whooped, I try to figure out how to beat them. And I also try to use what I learned from them to use against my own MMA camp. But I would only spar and try to work out a deal to buy some classes w/o having to go through the whole hoopla of learning their beginner's forms, etc...as I've already have my set fighting stance/base and don't need to mess with that by learning another or 3 others. I just want the best out of what they have and skip all the fluff.

True that MMA lacks weapons training. I bet though, that with my fighting skills + a knife, I can use my boxing skills and footwork quite well in a knife on knife fight vs. a good FMA. But this would probably never happen b/c I would do my best to run away should a knife comes out, even if I have my own drawn. Now with swords, spears, etc. then I'd be deadmeat vs. someone who trains. Because that's where such training would prevail. Heck, an overweight D&D Larper would probably kill me in a sword fight. But chances of a sword fight to the death is pretty slim to none. So I guess, dabbling in other arts is good, but I won't spend too much time on it to derail from MMA which I find to be the most proficient all around.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am continually perplexed why anyone would equate "battlefield" fighting with anything other than weapons fighting. When, in the history of mankind have men gone into battle unarmed?

There are those who might argue that there are times when empty hand techniques are useful when one "drops" a weapon. Why not just pick it up.

The whole discussion is predicated on an irrelevant scenario. In combat, onthe the battlefield, men have always fought with weapons. Period.

Its only the cravens who need cowardly tools like knives or guns or weapons to fight! We menly men fight all our battles with our fists, feeling the cold steel of our foes get demolished by our hands, as they fall to the ground out of fear, yielding. But never shall we be known to take pity on those craven fools. We will beat them to death with their own legs, and everyone will konw we are the manliest men in all of mankind!

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Then why are you even wasting your time with Karate or ninja weapons? Because my AK-47's and 30-50 round mags beats them all w/o breaking a sweat. Then there's my sidearm with 15-30 round mags. Then my backup pistol with 10 round mags.

This is why they don't spend too much time teaching soldiers how to fight H2H. All military systems of the world have some form of "deadly" H2H system. This is no big deal. It's only a big deal when people make it so by marketing it to civilians as some kind of badass SD system and charge a lot for it. I'm pretty sure that the Isralis don't use Krav Maga vs. their enemies...what for when they have freaking assault weapons?

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
wait so you intentionally try to knock out your training partners when you spar?

Absolutely, it's fun.

so you been to many battlefields where you just run around knocking people out?

It would be nice if you try to understand, in CONTEXT, what I was arguing.

yeah ok

the one who doesnt think he can run around knock out people at will

Sorry getting KO'ed during training scares you. But try to read what I wrote in context. Thanks.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Absolutely, it's fun.

Sorry getting KO'ed during training scares you. But try to read what I wrote in context. Thanks.

I understand your CONTEXT. And believe me I'm not frightened of being knocked out I've just never spared out of control like that I can land a shot in training without trying to knock out my friends that I train with.

Where do you train? I spent a lot of time in the PG county and DC area when I was an undercover Narcotics detective in that area assigned to a task force. I'd love to come train with the DC officer you mentioned in some of your other posts. He sounds like a good guy. Heck I know a ton of officers in that area I may even know him since I'm not far from the Wheaton area. you can PM me if youd like id be interested in checking it out.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely, it's fun.

He didn't say he was scared of getting KO'ed, just implying that he doesn't understand why you would. And he took your context, and just stated that you have no experience in what you claimed, unless you go around knocking people out on battlefields, which I honestly doubt. You stated that you don't need to be taught certain skills, he asked if you used those skills in the way you described, whats out of context there? Also do you really think anyone respects someone who enjoys people 'cowering in fear' towards them because of their mad pro skills at KOing everyone they see? In the gyms I've visited/trained in, that's not called being respectable, its called being a d-bag.

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I didnt mean to imply once would be enough - Did he maintain his grip and try to rinse and repeat, or did he just do it once?

This was a while ago when this head slamming into the concrete wall happened. I really can't remember exactly how many times he did it, even right after it happened as it really rocked my head and made things very cloudy right afterward. It may have been 2 consecutive times, but it was definitely him yanking my head towards him and then flinging it back into the concrete....while we were both swimming for the MT plum. It also probably contributed to my very serious concussion later, that kept me from training for over a month + 3 months more of not sparring.

*Shrugs* - I never said you werent proficient in anything. This isnt about you, mate. This is about MMA and combatives.
What im saying is, if what youre saying is that simple (landing clean hits, technique, and so forth), why do you need knives and guns when you have the almighty modern sport fighting thatll beat untrained or army dudes head to head?

So you want me to fight against someone who may have a knife with only my MMA H2H yet having my own knife on my side and a concealed 9mm under my shirt? This is crazy.

Of course you can - So can an untrained meathead. And if he gets a good blow or stab in, no gun or knife in the world will save you.
Give a midget a weapon and he can massacre the best fighter in the world.

Ok, but you're the guy who implied that I needed some of your fancy SD training otherwise an experienced MMA fighter won't have a chance in the street nor battlefield. I'm just arguing what you said.

Sure - But im not sure that matters when youre getting stabbed out of nowhere.

What's the point of this comment when it applies to any type of training?

So basically youre trying to say that because you have 2 years in BJJ, hed die horribly on the ground in a real fight? :p
Training boosts your chances - Its not a guarantee.

Well this Brazilian gorilla in question that I was sparring in Boxing class last week, I've also sparred with in BJJ class before. So more than likely, yes, because I can submit him on the ground about once every 30 seconds if I really wanted to embarrass him. I don't though, because I'm not a penis... and do give him a chance as he's only a White belt in BJJ. While standing up, for four rounds,....I couldn't KO him. I was busting him up & hurting him and certainly won on points, but he was no beginner in Boxing. If it were a fight to the death, I would definitely take it to the ground and not chance standing with him.

Actually, this is exactly where we agree. This has been my whole point. So, a soldier is fit, correct? An MMA fighter is fit, correct? Both of them have the mentality to get in there do it. Its person vs person. Not MMA vs Combatives. And much in the same way, 'untrained' people dont need to be taught any of the below either. Untrained doesnt mean retarded.

Being fit is good, but SOME of these active military guys who just joined our MMA gyms are also panting and wheezing during the warmup exercises just like most other noobs too sometimes. But even with being in excellent shape, it doesn't mean that they can fight. They get beat just like any other noobs. It's funny because a lot of these ACTIVE military guys, especially those in the Marines, special forces, Rangers, etc...usually tries to hide their military affiliations until at least a year or so later of training. Why? Because there's so much public misconceptions about how badass they're supposed to be, that they feel somehow that they must live up to such expectations....but deep down inside, they know that they can't fight much better than the average bar brawler. Or that if they do make known that they're a Marine, it would put targets on their backs and attract people who wants a chance to beat on Marines.

Now the Marines who are trained and/or experience MMA fighters, they have nothing to hide.

Its not just MMA fighters who have it come to them automatically, want to knock the other guy the F out, hurt their opponent so bad they want to quit, beat someone down so they cower in fear, and feel good doing it. Thats a huge percentage of the population.

Again, this is my whole point. Were in agreement on the reasoning, but somehow your conclusion ends up being that sparring is the decisive factor, by the sounds of it.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like I'm always arguing against you. A lot of times, I do agree with you and just adding on to it.

The reason that I think sparring hard for KO's is a decisive factor is because it routinely tests what you're made of. The fear, nervousness, exhaustion, pain, KO's, etc.... all contribute to becoming more proficient at fighting/SD. We don't do it all the time, but quite frequently. Without a doubt, it was terrifying the very first time and many times after that for many months. After many years of this, I can certainly say that it does indeed build, REAL confidence. I'm a lot more relaxed now going into such sparring matches and ring/cage fights. There's still nerves and fear, especially going against Pro's whom I know will whoop me. I don't even fight in the ring that much, just lots of sparring and a good amount of full sparring for KO's. I really am, someone who's more geared towards preparing for the streets....which is why I have guns & knives in my EDC bag.

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I understand your CONTEXT. And believe me I'm not frightened of being knocked out I've just never spared out of control like that I can land a shot in training without trying to knock out my friends that I train with.

Look at your initial post directed towards me. It certainly was asking for flames (well, mild/controlled flames). C'mon man, what else did you think was going to happen :)

Where do you train? I spent a lot of time in the PG county and DC area when I was an undercover Narcotics detective in that area assigned to a task force. I'd love to come train with the DC officer you mentioned in some of your other posts. He sounds like a good guy. Heck I know a ton of officers in that area I may even know him since I'm not far from the Wheaton area. you can PM me if youd like id be interested in checking it out.

I currently train in Rockville, MD. Those cops that I mentioned, about sparring vs. them with a rubber knife, I no longer am with their gym...that was at a Traditional Jujutsu dojo, a very long time ago. They were big with "ending the confrontation in under 10 seconds"....I know lots about that schtick.

My current gym is MMA and there's a few cops there. You're welcome to come by and train. Let me know and I'll get you in for free for a few classes if you like. Tuesdays & Thursdays I start boxing, 6-7pm and then Muay Thai 7-8:30pm. Gear requirements are 16oz Boxing gloves, mouthguard, headgear and cup. Shinguards if you want to kick. I'll PM you the gym info.

There's sparring in both classes, especially the Boxing one. We can go from light to hard.

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
He didn't say he was scared of getting KO'ed, just implying that he doesn't understand why you would. And he took your context, and just stated that you have no experience in what you claimed, unless you go around knocking people out on battlefields, which I honestly doubt. You stated that you don't need to be taught certain skills, he asked if you used those skills in the way you described, whats out of context there?

You also don't understand in context. Cyriacus does (for the most part) and I've been discussing this with him in length. Just read that as i don't feel like repeating.

Also do you really think anyone respects someone who enjoys people 'cowering in fear' towards them because of their mad pro skills at KOing everyone they see? In the gyms I've visited/trained in, that's not called being respectable, its called being a d-bag.

I don't go around trying to KO everyone I spar with. This is absurd. No gym would tolerate this crap.

And yes, beating someone down in DESIGNATED, hard sparring sessions and especially in the ring/cage, certainly does indeed earn their respect. It certainly does earns mine when I get beat down.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You also don't understand in context. Cyriacus does (for the most part) and I've been discussing this with him in length. Just read that as i don't feel like repeating.
I have. Still the same response.

I don't go around trying to KO everyone I spar with. This is absurd. No gym would tolerate this crap.

And yes, beating someone down in DESIGNATED, hard sparring sessions and especially in the ring/cage, certainly does indeed earn their respect. It certainly does earns mine when I get beat down.
I know its absurd, but thats how you made it sound. Its a bit better knowing that you dont do it every fight. Still tho, make them cower in fear? Isn't that a bit harsh? If you're so much better than them you make them cower from you, that obviously messes up their game, so why not try to go just a bit above their level (like you said you do with the bjj white belt), and go full out on the people at your level. The other way, they wont get anything out of it, outside of the idea 'i cant mess with you'.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
True that MMA lacks weapons training. I bet though, that with my fighting skills + a knife, I can use my boxing skills and footwork quite well in a knife on knife fight vs. a good FMA.
I could tell you've never stepped into a FMA gym. There's only one way to say this. Dream on. Seriously. If that scenario was for real, then you are getting cut, period.

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I could tell you've never stepped into a FMA gym. There's only one way to say this. Dream on. Seriously. If that scenario was for real, then you are getting cut, period.

I could tell you don't know how fast I am and that there was an FMA instructor in my MMA gym. He's got a student who's also part of our MT fight team who I always beat in MT sparring, especially with my hands. He's got maybe 2 years of FMA but his handspeed and footwork is nowhere close to mine.

And no kidding that I would get cut in a knife on knife fight to the death vs. an FMA guy, but he's getting cut too. There's nothing amazing about cutting someone, especially with even just a decent $50 knife....b/c all you have to do is slightly make contact to potentially cause massive damage.

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have. Still the same response.

I know its absurd, but thats how you made it sound. Its a bit better knowing that you dont do it every fight.

It only sounded that way b/c you took it out of context.

Still tho, make them cower in fear? Isn't that a bit harsh? If you're so much better than them you make them cower from you, that obviously messes up their game, so why not try to go just a bit above their level (like you said you do with the bjj white belt), and go full out on the people at your level. The other way, they wont get anything out of it, outside of the idea 'i cant mess with you'.

You misread what I wrote again.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It only sounded that way b/c you took it out of context.

You misread what I wrote again.[/QUOTE]
How exactly am i misreading or taking out of context " Beating your training partner down and watching him cower in fear and respecting you....feels soooooo good."
There was nothing in the sentences before or after it that relate to that sentence, so it was by itself to begin with..no context to be taken out of. And how have I misread it? If you're good enough to beat them down and make them cower in fear (and respect), then maybe they're the person you should go a bit easier on, not make them scared of the ring, or at least the ring with you in it. (If they're being an a-hole before hand and you want to teach them a lesson, thats one thing and ill accept that, but not as a general way of going about sparring people worse than you when sparring hard).