Riding bicycle to work

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yep, I was down south working for a beekeeper in LaBelle. We travelled over to Lake Okeechobee and Ft. Meyers and everything was very flat.

I did like the Crappie fishing in Lake Okeechobee though.

11354581.JPG

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yep, I was down south working for a beekeeper in LaBelle. We travelled over to Lake Okeechobee and Ft. Meyers and everything was very flat.

I did like the Crappie fishing in Lake Okeechobee though.

I have never fished down there, yet. My son and I enjoy fishing. Sounds like fun! :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yeah, that is a long haul. You would have to get up very early for that one! :p

At an average speed of 15 Mph and of course not being able to take the route I would normally drive it would probably be more like 45 miles so if I leave my house at 5:30 I will get there on time for a shower (which is not possible in my office) and a nap because I got up to damn early and exercised way to much since I am a foggy. And of course I will get home around 8:00… nope I’m not gonna do it.

Yeah, I'm 38 miles from my office. Don't think I'm gonna find the motivation, lol.

But if it were only 2.53 hours like this I might actually consider it…. Emphasis on consider… I do not think I would actually do it.... but I would consider it.

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have never fished down there, yet. My son and I enjoy fishing. Sounds like fun! :)

It was a very unique fishing experience for me. First, we put our boat into the water and cruised in this moat-like part of the lake for ~30 minutes or more. My understanding is that the "moat" helps reduce flooding during hurricanes. Anyways, we then entered the actual lake and cruised for some more time. Rarely did we see any other boats during this trip. Then suddenly, I noticed a gazilion boats all in the same area. It was like a parking lot at a football game. They were located where people figured the Crappie's beds were. We had four people in our boat and each of us had two cane poles and a cheap casting rod like a Zebco 202 baited with minnows. We would cast around until someone got a bite and then everyone in the boat would put their cane poles in the same general area as were the first bite came from. We ended up filling ~three coolers full of fish. My take was 40 or 50. Crappies are very good eats IMO.

That was ~30 years ago so things may have changed a bit since then.

BTW, I've also seen them in freshwater aquariums and the look really nice. At least the Black Crappies do. Much better that Bluegills or LM Bass IMO.

I figured it's OK to hijack this thread since it's yours anyways... right?

Latest Discussions