Riding bicycle to work

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I live about 3 miles from my office. I decided I would ride my bicycle to work for exercise. I usually go home at lunch, so this would give me about 12 miles per day. Not only do I get some cardio fitness, I also save on gas.

I had been waiting for my laptop backpack to come in, because I bring that to work each day. Well, yesterday it came in and I today was the day. I was a little aprehensive at first due to the traffic.

Anyway, I rode the bicycle to work. At about 1pm I left for lunch. Rode all the way home, only to realize I had forgotten my keys at the office on my desk. I guess I could have called a buddy to bring them to me, but I figured I made the mistake I need to deal with it. So I rode back to work. After burning up 2/3 of my lunch hour, I am starving, no lunch, and nothing but slow death restaurants around the office. :( That is definitely a lesson learned.

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Good for you. The lunch/key thing will work itself out. Do you have any issues with showering or don't you work up enough sweat in three miles?

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good for you. The lunch/key thing will work itself out. Do you have any issues with showering or don't you work up enough sweat in three miles?

I brought a change of clothes and we have a shower here (we have 24 hour responders who do long shifts). I worked up a sweat but it wasn't a killer one, but I came prepared for that. :)

loyalonehk

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Awsome - Good for you!

I rode my bike to work a couple times in the past and yes Showering became a PIA. Didnt last long...

I have however been riding my bike to the gym and back each day (3 miles one way). Then I also ride it to my MA's classes and back. The kid seat is great for a carry-all too.

Im with ya... Dont ever give up. :ultracool

Q: Got any pics of your bike?

Heres my gas saver and calorie burner... The pic was taken at the place I teach on the weekends.

MTBIKE036.jpg

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Im with ya... Dont ever give up. :ultracool

Q: Got any pics of your bike?

I haven't ridden since last october, I did a 50 mile ride. I used to do about 30 miles or so every weekend for a while there. I like to ride. I don't like the traffic.

No pic yet, I can get one tho. Mine is a Raleigh. I will get a pic tonight to post.

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks like you added a diet to your exercise regimen:p

Gotta love the sense of humor! :D Actually I am eating for fitness as it is, so this really sucks, cause I have had about 375 calories thus far today. It is cool though. I am going to drink some hot tea to settle my stomach (hopefully).

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I rode my bike to work a couple times in the past and yes Showering became a PIA. Didnt last long...

We are fortunate to have a shower available. Plus the office is small and laid back, so we often have folks wandering around after their workouts at the gym that is a block away, cooling off.

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here are two pics of my bike. This is after repairing my flat tire. I ran over some glass before I knew it on the way home and had to walk the last 2 miles home pushing the bike and wearing my heavy laptop backpack. Needless to say I got a good diet AND plenty of exercise today. :p

Attachments

• $BIKE500x375.JPG
    $BIKE500x375.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 119
  • $bike2_500x375.JPG
    $bike2_500x375.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 109

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good job.

I would like to ride my bike to work as well, but I live 40 miles from where I work so I think I will hold off on that for now.
Yeah, I'm 38 miles from my office. Don't think I'm gonna find the motivation, lol.

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Today's ride to work was great! I avoided the section where I got the flat tire yesterday afternoon. It made the ride just a bit longer and I got a couple good hills (for Florida) to burn my legs pretty good. Overall good ride. It was nice to smell the magnolia trees in the morning on the new route.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Today's ride to work was great! I avoided the section where I got the flat tire yesterday afternoon. It made the ride just a bit longer and I got a couple good hills (for Florida) to burn my legs pretty good. Overall good ride. It was nice to smell the magnolia trees in the morning on the new route.
sweet :) I love the smell of magnolias. I'll go out of my way for a more beautiful drive....

good hills for Florida? you mean flat? ;)

seriously, I heard something like Space Mountain was the third biggest "mountain" in Flordai LOL.

I know I kind of smack on Florida, but I really do like the state :) Many beautiful places...

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
seriously, I heard something like Space Mountain was the third biggest "mountain" in Flordai LOL.

It is, seriously! :rofl: Funny thing, what I call mountains are called hills by those that live there. :rofl:

In Florida, on a bicycle, it is a hill.... In a car, one could call it an extended bump. ;)

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score

I spent some time in Florida many moons ago. Something was bothering me while I was there that I couldn't put my finger on until we drove up to Sebring where they had piled up some dirt to make an overpass. It was then that I realized I had missed hills (let alone mountains). It strange what we miss.

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I spent some time in Florida many moons ago. Something was bothering me while I was there that I couldn't put my finger on until we drove up to Sebring where they had piled up some dirt to make an overpass. It was then that I realized I had missed hills (let alone mountains). It strange what we miss.

There are more hills in central and north Florida. South Florida is VERY FLAT and loaded with Palm trees. I notice a big difference between here and there when going down to West Palm Beach or Miami.

Latest Discussions