Richard J. Van Donk

cypher

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm fortunate enough to be able to study with a small group (4) in a bujinkan dojo. I was considering getting the Ninjutsu Made Easy Series by Shihan Van Donk as a supplement. I've been training for a short period of time and am just learning how to move. I figured that those dvds would help as he breaks things down a bit more.

I'm not interested in the blackbelt course, but would like any feedback on the other dvds I mentioned. Again, just as a supplement for the days I'm not training. Thoughts? Or should I not bother....

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm fortunate enough to be able to study with a small group (4) in a bujinkan dojo. I was considering getting the Ninjutsu Made Easy Series by Shihan Van Donk as a supplement. I've been training for a short period of time and am just learning how to move. I figured that those dvds would help as he breaks things down a bit more.

I'm not interested in the blackbelt course, but would like any feedback on the other dvds I mentioned. Again, just as a supplement for the days I'm not training. Thoughts? Or should I not bother....
Note -- I don't train in BBT, nor have I seen the videos. But I do know that they're not cheap. I don't encourage my students to dig into something different on days when we don't train; I encourage them to practice, revisit, and study the basics along with the exercises we've done in class.

I've had a long-time fascination with BBT/ninjutsu; one thing I've noticed in many posts blogs, and other comments from different sources is that very few people have their basics really mastered the way they should. I know that many of my own students (again, NOT BBT) have the same problem: They don't spend the time they need to on key things like stance drills, or basic punching and moving exercises.

Just my two cents, and probably worth less... but I'd consider saving my money (maybe towards a visit to Japan, in BBT cases), and focusing on basics in my solo practice.

GBlues

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Here is my question about Van Donk. When I went looking for a ninjutsu instructor, he was one that I was considering, as far as buying his learn at home course. However the bujinkan instructor I found when I brought the subject up told me and I quote, " I wish he would stop selling those. Sensei told him to stop, and he's still selling them?" So my question is.....Did Hatsuumi tell RVD to stop selling his videos? If so why? If not cool. If so, why aren't the Bujinkan guys making a big stink about this on the forum? If it is true, then how could you get rank from both RVD and Hatsuumi, if Hatsuumi doesn't want them being sold? THen after some answers I'll maybe have some further questions.
Thank you.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I have not heard that Sensei told him to stop. That is new to me. However, there are many things that I do not know.

I will say this though that in Budo Taijutsu you need a real live teacher in order to learn in properly. DVD's & video plus books can be used in conjunction with a real teachr but you need that teacher.
icon6.gif

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will say this though that in Budo Taijutsu you need a real live teacher in order to learn in properly. DVD's & video plus books can be used in conjunction with a real teachr but you need that teacher.
icon6.gif

I second this. You hear me rant about DVD training on here a lot... but if you have a teacher and a group, DVDs can be good training aids.

Tsuki-Yomi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I wish he would stop selling those. Sensei told him to stop, and he's still selling them?" So my question is.....Did Hatsuumi tell RVD to stop selling his videos? If so why? If not cool. If so, why aren't the Bujinkan guys making a big stink about this on the forum? If it is true, then how could you get rank from both RVD and Hatsuumi, if Hatsuumi doesn't want them being sold?
I would have to say it was a rumor. I have known Shihan Richard and Linda since 2004 and have never heard one thing in regards to Soke telling them to quit selling the HSC.

GBlues

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm......that's interesting. I'm gonna have to dig around a bit and see if I can find something out about this now. Very possible the buji instructor that I talked to may be a fraud. Interesting. Well, come to think of it, not really cause I'm doing To-Shindo so why do I care right? Ha....I am interested though. Anyways, good training everybody and have fun.
icon10.gif

<_>

White Belt
Reaction score
Well I have not heard that Sensei told him to stop. That is new to me. However, there are many things that I do not know.

icon6.gif

Agreed, as you advance so does the level of subtlety in technique and you can't get that from a vid. Every time we revisit a technique you end up picking up something you hadn't before.

Tsuki-Yomi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to dig around a bit and see if I can find something out about this now.
You might be digging for a long while but if you find value in that good luck with your search.

GBlues

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You might be digging for a long while but if you find value in that good luck with your search.

Nah, I decided that I'm not that interested after all. I got too many other things going on in my life, to worry about something so trivial. Thanks for the good luck, always could use more of that.
icon10.gif

rdonovan1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The one that Hatsumsi Sensei has told to stop is Stephen Hayes. George Ohashi was ordered on May 14, 2006 by Hatsumi to remove Stephen Hayes name from the board of recognized judans in the Bujinkan because of his behavior.

Hayes is no longer a recognized member of the Bujinkan by Hatsumi. This I found on Wikipedia.

I have to admit however that I have been looking at Hayes stuff and it does kind of look pretty interesting. I have studied all of the tapes from Robert Bussey and I do have the complete RVD black belt home study course leading up to Shodan which I have viewed in it's entirety at least twice now and I personally think that it is really good.

There is a lot that both Bussey and RVD do tend to leave out, but they are still very good none the less and I would highly recommend them both.

To me it really does not matter as to who is the better instructor or as to who is the worst. What really matters the most is if you are really learning the skills and as to whether those skills are recognized by Hatsumi.

That is the most important thing to remember here because in a real fight out on the street none of those teachers are going to be there to back you up. You are going to have to do it on your own and in a real fight you need to know when to respond with total and maximum force and when to just walk away that is the essence of true wisdom and skill.

If you can walk away from a fight then do so whenever possible. Do not train with the idea of being a bully as all that makes you look like is an arrogant, stupid, bully who has nothing better to do with his time than to pick on other people just to boost his own ego.

I am not saying that you should not fight, but rather that what is the most important is in knowing when and when not to fight and for what causes that you might fight for. If your cause is noble and just and is geared toward helping other people who are less fortunate than you, then your cause is most likely just.

If your cause is to hurt people just for the fun of it or because you just like to fight, then your cause is not just. Anyone who fights just for the sake of fighting or to hurt people is psychologically a psychopath and is in need of severe psychological help from a licensed professional who can help you with those issues.

The true purpose of any martial art is not to be a bully, but to develop yourself mentally, physically and spiritually so that you can be the best that you can be in life.

Don't look at the martial arts as a way of fighting, but as a way of not fighting or as Bruce Lee once said 'It is the art of fighting without fighting'.

Basically what that means is that if you are smarter and more mature mentally, emotionally, and spiritually than your oppponent then more than likely you do not need to fight because you will not need to put yourself into situations that you know are deliberately dangerous without good and just cause.

I am not suggesting that anyone becomes a wimp at all. What I am saying is that if you really want to master yourself and the martial arts, then learn how to balance yourself and your life out first as the greatest enemy that you will ever face is yourself. Conquer yourself first, then worry about conquering other people and things and that is what Hatsumi sensei is really trying to teach first and foremost.

MikeyMac

White Belt
Reaction score
I would agree that you should not train with the intention of fighting, but to learn how to avoid a fight. That said, I believe that it is vital to have an instructor in the room when you are training, as too many aspects of the martial arts defy video instruction.

Let us consider the foundation for your martial art, your stances...if your stances are not done properly everything will be at least a little wrong top to bottom, and stances are a thing that comes with years of practice in front of a mirror, and in front of an instructor.

Moving in and out of stances with fluid motion and power is another thing that I do not believe I could have grasped without my instructor watching me and correcting my mistakes. The subtle moves involved in keeping your hips in line, and staying balanced while moving in stances is not something that comes quickly, or easily for many.

Lastly I believe a part of having self confidence when faced with defending your life, or the lives of your loved ones comes from experience in contact fighting. Learning that getting hit in the nose hurts but only for a little while, that while a hit to the gut hurts it wont kill you...the realization that if set up in combination with movement and punches a front kick actually does floor an opponent...for me these are things I learned in the ring. This type of fighting can be done on your own I suppose if on a video course, but not safely.

Most black belts I have know consider a white belt to be the most dangerous fighter in the room, for a general lack of control, and almost completely unpredictable actions when fighting...this is where supervision by an instructor saves people from broken bones...adding an element of control to the chaos of a new fighter.

Take this how you will, I do not mean to insult instructors who sell video training courses, I consider them to be a valuable tool in learning a martial art. I do not however hold video training courses in very high regard as a stand alone tool for learning, the function of the sensei, sifu, master, whatever you call them in your art, cannot be replaced by a video course.

Tsuki-Yomi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
until page 4, does anyone here is truly student of Mr Van Donk ?
I flew into San Fransisco last March to attend his annual 3 day Tai Kai. Got the opportunity to meet and train with Shihan Dan Ordoins, Shihan Joel Everett, Shihan's Richard and Linda Vandonk and several other shidoshi from around the country. They were all very helpful and made me feel more than welcome. Despite what I read about Mr. Vandonk on various martial arts forums he is a really nice guy, and I enjoyed watching him demonstrate techniques from the Ten Chi Jin.

ElfTengu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I flew into San Fransisco last March to attend his annual 3 day Tai Kai. Got the opportunity to meet and train with Shihan Dan Ordoins, Shihan Joel Everett, Shihan's Richard and Linda Vandonk and several other shidoshi from around the country. They were all very helpful and made me feel more than welcome. Despite what I read about Mr. Vandonk on various martial arts forums he is a really nice guy, and I enjoyed watching him demonstrate techniques from the Ten Chi Jin.

Being nice is rule No.1 in the art of liberating people from the contents of their wallet! ;)

Kurai

Green Belt
Reaction score

I was at the event as well and share your opinions.

Latest Discussions