Reverse & Opposite

Originally posted by Rob_Broad

I also wanted to see how complicated we would make this these 2 simplistic aspects.

I think we kept our feet on the ground...

jb:asian:

Originally posted by Rob_Broad
I started this thread to see how complicated we would make this these 2 simplistic aspects.

Well, you got fooled......

If it is complicated, Mr. Parker says it constipated...... but rather it should be sophisticated which is nothing more than simplicity compounded.

:asian:

Reverse of an inwards block is an outwards extended block (think Shielding Hammer), the opposite of a back hammerfist strike is a back hammerfirst strike with the other hand.

No and yes.

The reverse of an inward block is an outward parry, not and extended outward block. The extended outward block hits just outside the far corner of the "Conceptual Box".

As for the back hammerfist I say "Yes"...

For the thrusting inward block, I don't think it would matter, the reverse would be an outward parry too.

Dennis any insight on this?

Originally posted by kenpo3631
The reverse of an inward block is an outward parry, not and extended outward block. The extended outward block hits just outside the far corner of the "Conceptual Box".

Explain your angle please...... I don't see the reverse of an inward block an outward parry.

The "opposite" of a back hammerfist strike is a back hammerfirst strike with the other hand.

As for the back hammerfist I (Lance) say "Yes"...

I agree here on the opposites.

For the thrusting inward block, I don't think it would matter, the reverse would be an outward parry too.

Again, please, explain your point of view..... I again don't look at the reverse as an outward parry.

No and yes.

Dennis any insight on this?

Doesn't the parry start from the center of the "Conceptual Box" not the outside far corner? and doesn't the concept of "reverse" motion imply that you follow along the same line that it came in on?

jb:asian:

Originally posted by KENPO_CORY

Yeah, I don't think I'm familiar with a thrusting inward block. I understood an inward block to start from the outside and diagonally move inward. So would a thrusting inward block be like a punch crossing your body or something? Forgive my ignorance.

Didn't see an answer to your question about the term thrusting so here goes;

The descriptor 'thrusting' in the context of this conversation is referring to the block's 'Method Of Execution' to wit; Hammering, Thrusting, Whipping, Slicing are all Methods of Execution.

The vector of travel for a 'Thrusting' Inward block as discussed here is low to high(the reference point was from a training horse with the hand starting in chamber).

To provide a little more clarification; had the inward block's point of origin been from above (like the transition from the upward block in star block to the inward block), then the method of execution for the block would have been a 'Hammering' and the block would have been called a 'Hammering Inward Block'.

Another quick way to look for a comparison of the two is the two inward blocks that start off short form one. The right hand executes a hammering inward block (point of origin for the block being the salutation) and the left hand executes a thrusting inward block(the point of origin being the chambered hand).

Hope that helps...

Peace,
Sandor

quote: Originally posted by kenpo3631 The reverse of an inward block is an outward parry, not and extended outward block. The extended outward block hits just outside the far corner of the "Conceptual Box".

Explain your angle please...... I don't see the reverse of an inward block an outward parry.

For argument sake we'll say the inward block is a right hammering. It starts cocked at the right ear, traveling in a path of action to the left far corner of the "Conceptual Box".

If you open the hand and retract it back to your right ear, following the same path of action, it would be an outward parry....no?

quote: For the thrusting inward block, I don't think it would matter, the reverse would be an outward parry too.

After futher review by the judges the play has been over ruled, fourth down.:D :asian:

Originally posted by satans.barber

Reverse of an inwards block is an outwards extended block (think Shielding Hammer),

Ian.

Wouldn't the reverse motion of an inward block, or any other block for that matter, depend on your point of origin?

The position of an ext. outward seems a strange place to be working from.

Les

quote: Originally posted by kenpo3631 The reverse of an inward block is an outward parry, not and extended outward block. The extended outward block hits just outside the far corner of the "Conceptual Box".

For argument sake we'll say the inward block is a right hammering. It starts cocked at the right ear, traveling in a path of action to the left far corner of the "Conceptual Box".

If you open the hand and retract it back to your right ear, following the same path of action, it would be an outward parry....no?

quote: For the thrusting inward block, I don't think it would matter, the reverse would be an outward parry too.

After futher review by the judges the play has been over ruled, fourth down.:D :asian:

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Well, you got fooled......

If it is complicated, Mr. Parker says it constipated...... but rather it should be sophisticated which is nothing more than simplicity compounded.

I think I am gonna have to agree and disagree at the same time. The concept is very simple. It is the application that becomes complicated.

Originally posted by Sandor

Didn't see an answer to your question about the term thrusting so here goes;

The descriptor 'thrusting' in the context of this conversation is referring to the block's 'Method Of Execution' to wit; Hammering, Thrusting, Whipping, Slicing are all Methods of Execution.

The vector of travel for a 'Thrusting' Inward block as discussed here is low to high(the reference point was from a training horse with the hand starting in chamber).

To provide a little more clarification; had the inward block's point of origin been from above (like the transition from the upward block in star block to the inward block), then the method of execution for the block would have been a 'Hammering' and the block would have been called a 'Hammering Inward Block'.

Another quick way to look for a comparison of the two is the two inward blocks that start off short form one. The right hand executes a hammering inward block (point of origin for the block being the salutation) and the left hand executes a thrusting inward block(the point of origin being the chambered hand).

Hope that helps...

Peace,
Sandor

Latest Discussions

Back