Restart or pick up where I left off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never said, or even suggested, those words. You don't get to speak for me or put words into my mouth unless you're willing to stick your hand up my backside and move my mouth for me. :)
What? Didn't put any words in your mouth but did ask a question.

You seem to be very caught up in your "anti-belt" campaign. Not sure why, but everyone has to have their causes I suppose.. Based upon your responses, it seems pretty obvious to me that you either didn't read, or didn't bother to try and understand, what I wrote. I'm terribly glad that you are able to work out in the same class where everyone is familiar with the skill level of everyone else. Congratulations, it is a tight-knit and wonderfully insightful group you work with. However, your fish is not the same as my apple, no matter how much you wish to rant about them both being food.
Very caught up in my Anti-belt campaign. ???

I simply disagree that students, who actually train, would be confused.
Where am I "ranting"?
As to belts, we do use them in some of the other arts we provide instruction and training. I disagree that the belt or lack there of will be confusing for students or the instructors. And that has nothing to do with fish, apples, or any other type of food.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Talk to your instructor. He'll know where he wants you -- and why.
THIS!

It doesn't really matter what you think or want, never mind what a bunch of forumites think. It will be what your instructor wants and for his reasons. Talk to him.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If it were me I'd feel more comfortable starting again with a white belt, I'd be worried about making a fool of myself if I wore a former grade and couldn't do/remember it. I'd rather be thought of as a quick learner because I'd done it before lol. Seriously though, I'd be more relaxed about training without any pressure to live up to a grade I had a while back.
How does that dovetail with your position on letting kids wear rank from their previous school?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it were me I'd feel more comfortable starting again with a white belt, I'd be worried about making a fool of myself if I wore a former grade and couldn't do/remember it. I'd rather be thought of as a quick learner because I'd done it before lol. Seriously though, I'd be more relaxed about training without any pressure to live up to a grade I had a while back.

How does that dovetail with your position on letting kids wear rank from their previous school?

Pretty well, I would think. Probably because we do the same. We let people from other systems wear their rank if they want. They just cannot promote until they learn our curriculum up to the new rank.
Now, me personally... I'm strapping on a white belt if I'm there as a student. If I'm just visiting (if I'm just checking a place out, I am probably in street clothes, sitting in the spectator area), or 'guest teaching' (if I'm asked to teach, I'm guessing my rank in what is being taught is actually pertinent), or something, that's different. But if I'm there as a student, I'm wearing my rank in THAT system.
Unless... if I go to a BJJ class, do you think the stripes on my belt will cause lower ranks to freeze up, instead of twisting me up?

It's been my experience that people who don't want to wear the white belt again generally don't stick around anyway.

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd rather wear a white belt and have people wonder why, than wear a black belt and have people wonder why.

This is literally one of my favorite quotes taht I read over and over on here. Along with I can call a grenade a biscuit, but wouldn't put it in the oven.

Has nothing to do with knowing where people are skill wise or what they need to work on.

So your instructor nor anyone else cannot tell what students need to work on? It is only because of the belt rank structure? Come on now.
Even within belt rankings those who are on the floor and who train on a regular basis knows who is skilled or not and what areas need to be worked on. The belt has nothing to do with that.

As far as rank I have all kinds of feelings about this, but one can easily tell skill levels in a school. I honestly think ranks can be deceiving if that is the "only" thing you go by. I am a 2nd geup about to test for 1st, and some 8th and 7th geups give me a run during sparring. Although I'm supposed to "keep in consideration" what rank they are, some yellow belts are simply just skilled beyond that level. So ranks mean something to me , to me they are representation of all the hard work I have put in. They have nothing to do with my ability. When it comes to evaluating my fellow student's skill levels I think the piece of cloth holding up their gi is useless. There are yellow belts who's abilities are up to par with our blue belts, I expect them to be at the blue belt level, not lower themselves to a standard they have clearly overcome.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Ok lets go over this again.

They wear their belt from their previous place while they start at the beginning of our syllabus, as soon as they take their first grading with us they wear our belt. We don't strip them of their old belt the minute they walk in our door, they can wear it while they learn our style. I am an adult so different standards apply. They are children who have just moved to our location often from another country, they have just left their friends, their schools and their previous lives behind so why make life yet more anxious by stripping them of their lowly belts for a white belt. We never have high grades coming it and they never stay long enough with us to get a high grade so if they wear a low coloured belt for a couple of months what difference does it make to anyone and why are you so hung up on this?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The link is about American military children, ours are exactly the same though. I don't see what difference it makes letting kids keep a belt they earned at another school for a couple of months while they learn our style. You can have a rant all you like but we do what is best for the children who come to us, it's not about cossetting them or pandering to parents. They earnt a belt in another place so there is no harm in letting them wear it until they grade in our style and can swap it for one of ours. We don't have hundreds of children, I know each of ours very well, I know their parents and I know very well the life style having lived it myself for many years. If you don't like what we do, I really don't care. What I do care about is the children, they are what matter not people on a forums opinion.
Military Children Face Greater Academic Challenges Due To Relocation And Emotional Stress

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The link is about American military children, ours are exactly the same though. I don't see what difference it makes letting kids keep a belt they earned at another school for a couple of months while they learn our style. You can have a rant all you like but we do what is best for the children who come to us, it's not about cossetting them or pandering to parents. They earnt a belt in another place so there is no harm in letting them wear it until they grade in our style and can swap it for one of ours. We don't have hundreds of children, I know each of ours very well, I know their parents and I know very well the life style having lived it myself for many years. If you don't like what we do, I really don't care. What I do care about is the children, they are what matter not people on a forums opinion.
Military Children Face Greater Academic Challenges Due To Relocation And Emotional Stress

I hadn't thought about it before, but I think our attitude towards kids and belts is fairly wide spread. My childhood training was at various military bases, and although after decades my memory of details has no doubt faded, I do not recall ever being told I couldn't keep whatever belt I came in wearing.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have said the same thing all along. You seem to think it's a contradiction, it isn't. I don't know why you've dragged this up. The position is the same as I stated then, the children of the service personnel who come in keep their belt while learning our syllabus then they grade and have one of our belts. it really is simple, you obviously have a bee in your bonnet about this. I am talking about children, not adults who in our club do not grade nor wear belts. As far as I can see this is also a fairly common practice outside our club as well.

I find that you 'dislike' a report on how service children cope with constant movement etc distasteful, do you also dislike your service personnel, is that it?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm away for the next week on Brownie Pack Holiday so hopefully to put an end to this absurd farce this is what happens.
Parent brings child to club. Child is wearing a yellow belt. it is explained to both that
1. the child can wear their belt while training our syllabus from the beginning.
2. the child will grade in our style
3. the child will be given the belt from our style that they have earnt.
4. hopefully happy parent and child who has been encouraged to continue training.
At any one time we'll have 10-12 children of ages ranging from 7-12, we never have more though we have room for them. We are a small club, we aren't for profit, we aim to give children a wide experience of other styles. We also aim, while they are with us, to be a constant in their lives which are rarely constant.
I really don't see what is wrong with any of this and why it is attracting such ire. This is what I have said before and it's not different from what I posted before. Hopefully this is now Endex.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have said the same thing all along. You seem to think it's a contradiction, it isn't.
Which is kinda why I asked. It sure looks contradictory to me but I wanted you to explain rather than just assume what your position was. It still looks contradictory to me, but I didn't make assumptions about your position.

I don't know why you've dragged this up.
Because it seems contradictory and I am a curious guy.

The position is the same as I stated then, the children of the service personnel who come in keep their belt while learning our syllabus then they grade and have one of our belts. it really is simple, you obviously have a bee in your bonnet about this. I am talking about children, not adults who in our club do not grade nor wear belts. As far as I can see this is also a fairly common practice outside our club as well.
How common the practice is says nothing about whether or not it is "right." I'm sure you can think of many practices which are now, or have been in the past, very common but which you still consider "wrong." Argumentum ad populum.

I find that you 'dislike' a report on how service children cope with constant movement etc distasteful, do you also dislike your service personnel, is that it?
Nice, irrelevant, personal attack. Perhaps you'd like to question my manhood and penis size too. :rolleyes:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm away for the next week on Brownie Pack Holiday so hopefully to put an end to this absurd farce this is what happens.
Parent brings child to club. Child is wearing a yellow belt. it is explained to both that
1. the child can wear their belt while training our syllabus from the beginning.
2. the child will grade in our style
3. the child will be given the belt from our style that they have earnt.
4. hopefully happy parent and child who has been encouraged to continue training.
At any one time we'll have 10-12 children of ages ranging from 7-12, we never have more though we have room for them. We are a small club, we aren't for profit, we aim to give children a wide experience of other styles. We also aim, while they are with us, to be a constant in their lives which are rarely constant.
I really don't see what is wrong with any of this and why it is attracting such ire. This is what I have said before and it's not different from what I posted before. Hopefully this is now Endex.
Irrelevant to the question.

You stated a position, further reiterated above, that kids get to wear the belt from their previous martial art in your school.

You also stated in this thread that an adult should suck it up and put on a white belt when starting a new martial art.

These two positions still seem to be contradictory. The only difference is that your position is, "Well, it's OK to do it for kids because if we make them wear a white belt again, it'll hurt their feelings."

That's your position. It doesn't make me angry. I don't have any "ire" in relation to that. Please stop deliberately mischaracterize. What does raise my "ire" is the deliberate mischaracterization and personal attacks. Either your position can be logically defended or not. Mischaracterizing my positions (such as claiming that I was "ranting" in this thread) is typically viewed as attempting to hide a weak position.

When you argue, argue from the FACTS.

Nevertheless, I wasn't asking for a recitation of your prior argument. I was asking why you don't see your two opposing positions on putting on a white belt again as contradictory. Do you have any other reason than, 'because one position is children'?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was asking why you don't see your two opposing positions on putting on a white belt again as contradictory. Do you have any other reason than, 'because one position is children'?
Not to put words in Tez's mouth, but I think I can see her point (even if I don't totally agree with it).

For adults, the belt is merely an indication of where they are at in a given system and has no intrinsic value beyond that. For that reason, she would not feel the need to wear her existing rank in one system when starting another.

For children, the belt has more emotional value as an external validation of the work they have done along the way. For children who come through the training hall for a short time before they have to move again and are participating in the training as a social activity, the ability to retain the emotional reassurance of that prior validation while they are adapting to their new social group is more important than it should be for an adult.

Not saying it's the way I would do things, but I absolutely think you can make a non-self-contradictory argument for treating children differently from adults in this situation.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not saying it's the way I would do things, but I absolutely think you can make a non-self-contradictory argument for treating children differently from adults in this situation.
Not saying that a non-self-contradictory argument can't be made. Just asking for the reasoning.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FFS, the reason is that the kid's parents are out fighting for their country, losing limbs and being blown up, the kids get abuse and bullying off civvy kids, they move every two to three years, leaving schools, friends and clubs, they often don't see mum or dad for months on end, they are young children doing martial arts as a HOBBY for an hour a week so who the hell cares whether they keep their belt from a previous club or not while they learn our style,
We do this on the instructions of the Chief Instructor who has taken the advice of MOD service children's department AND WE WANT TO DO IT THIS WAY.
GET OVER IT.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
FFS, the reason is that the kid's parents are out fighting for their country, losing limbs and being blown up,
Wow. I didn't realize that having a parent's limb getting blown of or dying could grant rank.

GET OVER IT.
Gee willikers, I asked a simple and polite question about how to positions fit together and you act like it's an attack.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are really being an twunt aren't you. Your comment is insensitive, snide and plain nasty.
Don't play the innocent either, it was an attack plain and simple, you are also still misrepresenting what we do. The children learn our style from scratch, from the beginning, from the start of the syllabus the same as every other child would, they grade when we consider they are ready, they gain the belt appropriate to their knowledge our style. This may mean they receive a belt equal to the one they have or it may mean they get a belt under the one they have already have, rarely they get a belt that is higher than one over what they are already.
The children are on average 7-9 years old and never have a belt more than 3 into a style. They gain nothing by having a father who is an amputee, and yes we do have a boy whose father lost his leg and is still serving, the child did not get a belt higher just because of that, to suggest he would is disgusting and extremely crude.
Now as far as I'm concerned that's the end of it, I don't own you an explanation, you aren't a UK taxpayer and you are basically what is called in the army sh1t stirring.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admin's Note:

Thread closed, pending staff review.

If you don't like what someone has to say, then use the ignore feature. Nobody is forcing you to engage in a brouhaha...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions