“Respectful Irreverence: Honor the men, challenge the material.”

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
An interesting blog that I found thru a different forum written by Mr. Rob Pincus titled “Respectful Irreverence: Honor the men, challenge the material.” Link re-posted with the permission of Mr. Pincus.

I debated where to place this post. The blog is making its rounds with the firearm trainers and enthusiasts, as well as law enforcement/military types but I also think that it covers a topic that might be thought provoking amongst general martial art practitioners no matter the art or the culture.

http://breachbangclear.blogspot.com/2008/09/guest-blog-respectful-irreverence.html
Thoughts ?

Regards
Brian King

Last edited by a moderator:

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Excellent article and it goes very well with unarmed combat as well as the area for which the article was written. Without questioning of the material that you're working you'll never find the chinks in your armour. Obviously, you have to know a little something or other before you can really understand enough to question the material but once you have a good understanding of the basics any instructor worth his salt should be open to the whys and hows and what ifs from students to better understand the art they are learning.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Brian,

Nice link to a good blog. I particularly liked the avoid absolutes part. That is something that I talk about all the time with IRT practitioners.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Guy has great points. I think hes taking the "toolbox" metaphor a bit out of context but I think a lot of people who use it are misusing it too. It has its roots in the "Book of Five Rings" and one has to grasp what Musashi was getting at.

Latest Discussions