Respect here today gone tomorrow

risingfire

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I agree, no one can expect the sabumnim to do the job of the parents, parents must be parents. quote]

You're right, the sabumnim shouldn't be expected to do the job of the parents. They should be expected to do the job of the in instructor. And in my opinion, it IS the instructors job to instill respect and discipline in their students. This is what instructors preach, this is why many parents bring there children to martial arts; to teach them respect, discipline, AND self-defense. These things were heavily emphasized and taught in my dojang and in my opinion, they should be.

I agree. However, the experience in the dojang should support values already held in some small degree by the student. If no respect is being taught at home or discipline instilled then the sabumnim doesn’t have much to work with does he/she? Or the teacher at school who has to deal with the "bundle of joy?" I know many kids require help from outside sources, but its not on the shoulder of any instrcutor to become the parent.

Last edited:

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree. However, the experience in the dojang should support values already held in some small degree by the student. If no respect is being taught at home or discipline instilled then the sabumnim doesn’t have much to work with does he/she? Or the teacher at school who has to deal with the "bundle of joy?" I know many kids require help from outside sources, but its not on the shoulder of any instrcutor to become the parent.

Exactly.

People forget, for some reason, that parents are the primary educators of their children. Teachers of any kind, be it school, martial arts, religious education, etc. are only there in support positions. The parents are those who have the final say in what their children are taught, when they are taught it, how they are taught it, etc. If the teacher in question has a problem with this they must give way to the wishes of the parents if necessary by terminating the relationship with the student since teachers have a right to teach as they wish, especially when you're talking about martial arts instructors.

Is it possible for a teacher to make a huge impact on a student, including one so big that it counteracts some of the possibly negative role modelling the child's own parents are doing at home? Yes, it is. But it isn't likely. In a perfect world a martial arts instructor will be doing nothing more than reinforcing and strengthening the lessons a child's parents have already taught him at home.

But we don't live in a perfect world and so sometimes the lion's share of teaching things such as discipline and courtesy will fall on the martial arts instructor. Hopefully they will at least be planting seeds in the soil that the parents have at least tilled to some extent.

Pax,

Chris

shaunkwondo

White Belt
Reaction score

I agree. You're absolutely right.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just joking around, I did relize it was from someone else. What can I say, I was bored and thought this might be funny to some.:asian:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree also, and second it too.
icon7.gif

Latest Discussions