Balance of tradition and sport

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I often read posts both here at MT and others that indicate to me a trend, or rift if you will, in the perception of traditional TKD vs. sport TKD.

I was taught and believe in the traditional ways and try each day to live by the tenets of TKD. To lead by example, showing the highest traditions of this martial art. To show honor and respect to those who have come before me and to those who will follow. One of the fundamentals of most martial arts is the yin and yang. Balance and harmony in everything we do. As passionate as I am for the traditional art, I am equally passionate about the sport. The adrenaline rush, the challenging of myself, my courage, and my indominable spirit. Had I not been taught the traditional
ways, I probably would not have had the accomplishments I've had in the sport.

The two "ways" are both part of the same tapestry of Tae Kwon Do. They should not be thought of as exclusive of each other, but inclusive of all the best TKD has to offer. What do you think?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think its a personal matter, some people want sport, others want traditional, and some want a mixture of both. Really, does it matter? people should do what they prefer.

One thing that I find odd is the way some people look down on the sport aspects, as if they are "lesser". They aren't, just different, and there is nothing inferior about a person pursuing one or the other. There is also nothing wrong with pursuing a mix of both.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The balance is most important and I think Andrew is ... uh ... half right ;) . There are people on both sides of "the fence" who look down upon the other saying one is inferior than the other because of _______ training method and the other will counter saying the opposite because of the traditional importance of _________.

It's all important.

And it's further important that we stop slinging crap at each other because of some perceived fence some of us have constructed and defend as though it were a legitimate boundary.

While there are legitimate arguments to be had regarding many things, you just have to train for your purpose, your passion, your legacy.

Enjoy!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The balance is most important and I think Andrew is ... uh ... half right ;) . There are people on both sides of "the fence" who look down upon the other saying one is inferior than the other because of _______ training method and the other will counter saying the opposite because of the traditional importance of _________.

It's all important.

And it's further important that we stop slinging crap at each other because of some perceived fence some of us have constructed and defend as though it were a legitimate boundary.

While there are legitimate arguments to be had regarding many things, you just have to train for your purpose, your passion, your legacy.

Enjoy!

I could not have said it any better than that.

OP
TKDmel

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My master once told us a story of how each of us have come to the table(TKD) carrying a bowl for the food. One persons bowl may be bigger or smaller according to how hungry we are. Each of us picks and chooses what we want to eat and each of us tries a "no thank you" helping. He then told me, that my bowl was very large and that it would take me a long time to fill it. I have always remembered his story and to this day, my bowl is only a little bit filled. I chose to try everything offered and in doing so, I feel well balanced in this art that I love and live by.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mel, I like your story. I look at TKD, HKD and Judo differently. I believe a student comes with an empty bowl and fills it accordingly. Yes everyone learns the art, or they should. Some fill the bowl with more art than sport. However, without the sport or randori then the art is only 75% complete.

The sport allows you to tie it in together. I look at sparring from a fighting aspect though not a drop your hands and round kick olympic style. I still believe that until you get mat time and learn for yourself how your body works against struggle or load you cannot and will not understand technique.

In judo I knew people who were awesome at technique and horrible at randori. TKD is no different.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree certain people want everything the history the changes and the techs. some may just want the techs while other just the history me, I have found out over the last year I would love to know more about the history and the challeges that the Koreans have made to get there Art to the limelight.

Latest Discussions