Martial Artists Who Play Chess

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I used to be the VP of my college chess team in college. I could beat just about everyone but the president. Taught me a lot about strategic and tactical thinking. Nowhere near as good as I used to be though.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

OP
Jason Striker II

Jason Striker II

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have also played chess since I can remember. I think it teaches more about opponent anticipation, my response tactic and picking my line through an attack more than any other method. I really like this BB idea you have mentioned though I think to suggest it as a requirement would possibly not meet with much enthusiasm? I think the benefit would need to be demonstrated? Can you think of any quick and simple ways to illustrate chess skill as a MA technique maybe? Thank you.

For a good comparison of MA and chess see: http://www.chesscafe.com/text/skittles379.pdf

Thanks for the reply!

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frank and Jenna echo my feelings the best on Chess and martial arts. The tenants of what chess teaches would be optimal for any student of martial arts to adhere to.

OP
Jason Striker II

Jason Striker II

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Frank and Jenna echo my feelings the best on Chess and martial arts. The tenants of what chess teaches would be optimal for any student of martial arts to adhere to.

I feel this way precisely. Osu!

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not sure if it, or a similiar strategy/thinking game, needs to or should be added to any MA syllabus as such. But I do think that activities outside of the core MA training time or at the club do benefit your MA ability, such as chess from a mental perspective, or on the physical side, running, conditioning, working on flexibility and reflexes etc. I do think that mental agility and strategy is only a good thing for any fighter and that a game such as chess can improve ones thinking patterns in that repsect. Smart/strategic and tallented (physically) fighters often do better long term over just tallented ones.

I play when I can but am not that good, used to be average, maybe bit more, for my group back in high school when played quite a bit. I taught my girl (who played the Chinese chess equivalent and some other ancient war based Chinese game) how to play chess and after about the fifth game she was able to regularly beat me.

Latest Discussions