Martial Artists Who Play Chess

Jason Striker II

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just wondering how much the old-school ethic of "all Black Belts" play chess still holds?

Back in the 60's and '70s, a Black Belt who couldn't play chess was not only an anomaly, but something of a pariah. I don't say they all played well - I just say they all could and did play. In fact, in some schools/organizations, the ability of Yudansha to play chess was damn near a requirement (e.g. GM peter Urban's USA Goju).

What about it, do young Black Belts play chess anymore?

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im not that young but Im a black belt and can honestly say I dont even know the rules for a game of chess.

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm not young, but I was playing chess in the 5th grade, years before my 1st dan.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've played chess all my life. My two oldest kids play chess, and my three year old knows how most of the pieces move. Chess is a terrific game.

Sent using Tapatalk. Please ignore typos.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've played chess all my life. My two oldest kids play chess, and my three year old knows how most of the pieces move. Chess is a terrific game.
I love to play chess, I suck, but, I enjoy it. It is like golf that way.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have only played 5 games of chess since 1974. Loved the game back then but as I moved around the country I found other things to do. Wish I had kept up playing the game

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I play, though admittedly not regularly. My husband and son won't play me much because I often win. Not trying to brag here, it's frustrating because I'd like to get better and I'd really like for my son to get better!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I love to play chess, I suck, but, I enjoy it. It is like golf that way.
I didn't say I was good. :) My 14 year old daughter gives me a run for my money every time. She hasn't taken my king yet, but she's been close.

My three year old is good for about 10 minutes. She plays by the rules and everything, of course with lots of coaching. But after 10 minutes, the horse starts dancing and the queen starts moving in a boomerang pattern.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I never knew there ever was an ethic for martial artists to play chess.

I've known the rules since I was a kid, but I only started to learn the actual stategies and tactics of play around a decade ago. I really do see a connection between chess and BJJ. I don't see as much connection with other martial arts I've studied.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My three year old is good for about 10 minutes. She plays by the rules and everything, of course with lots of coaching. But after 10 minutes, the horse starts dancing and the queen starts moving in a boomerang pattern.

Ah, she is playing the little known rule of chess... the "I win!" rule. I'd love to see the horse dance and the queen boomerang. That's a strategy that not even Bobby Fisher or Boris Kasparov can beat. :lol2: Because it's in the rules. But for a 3 year old to play 10 minutes before enacting the "I win!" rule is pretty dang good. Keep at it with her.

I've played chess for a long time. Since I was a wee lad. It's been a few years. I can't say enough about the game. But I've never heard of the MA-ethic that all BB's should know how to play. However it does make sense. If one is attuned to the game's teachings then one can see how Chess can teach basic strategy (remember War Games ? same principal ). Linear movements, attack, defense, entrapment, foreseeing your opponent's next possible move, en-passant and so on.
I'd be very impressed if MA-instructors actually encouraged their students to take up the game and set up mini-tournaments in their dojo's. The teachings that the game gives are valuable to budding students. They may not see it at first but eventually they'll incorporate it into their sparring and tournament strategies.

Been trying to get my gf to start playing. The romantic implications of the game are still lost on her. But I'm trying. :uhyeah:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I self-taught myself to play chess out of a book when I was in the second or so grade. Played alot with friends and thought I was pretty good until I joined the chess club in high school and thoroughly and repeatedly got my *** handed to me. :D Played a little since then, mostly on the computer, but really haven't done it regularly. Quite frankly I think other games would provide everything that chess would and be more fun, wargames have alot more variation than "chess" and "go" these days.

OP
Jason Striker II

Jason Striker II

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I play, though admittedly not regularly. My husband and son won't play me much because I often win. Not trying to brag here, it's frustrating because I'd like to get better and I'd really like for my son to get better!

Download the program Winboard for practice http://www.chess.com/download/view/winboard-427 There are also numerous other free programs and resources available http://chessville.com/LinksReference.htm
[
QUOTE=Tony Dismukes;1464844]I never knew there ever was an ethic for martial artists to play chess.[/QUOTE]

I only meant is was one of those "unwritten rules" kind of thing.

Instructor, that is a beautifully instructive page! I like the way the text, photos, and video were combined.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just wondering how much the old-school ethic of "all Black Belts" play chess still holds?

Back in the 60's and '70s, a Black Belt who couldn't play chess was not only an anomaly, but something of a pariah. I don't say they all played well - I just say they all could and did play. In fact, in some schools/organizations, the ability of Yudansha to play chess was damn near a requirement (e.g. GM peter Urban's USA Goju).

I've never heard of chess being particularly wide spread amongst black belt holders, in any time period. I'd imagine the ability to play baduk (jp. Go) would actually be more common. I play both, but not terribly well, and started playing chess before I was involved in martial arts. I know more martial artists who are Go players than chess players.

Pax,

Chris

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never heard of that but I do play chess ... but prefer the medieval rules version, over "mad Queen".

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I play chess regularly. I am intermediate level at best. It teaches me patience and to evaluate my options before moving ahead. I enjoy playing online with people all over the globe.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I have also played chess since I can remember. I think it teaches more about opponent anticipation, my response tactic and picking my line through an attack more than any other method. I really like this BB idea you have mentioned though I think to suggest it as a requirement would possibly not meet with much enthusiasm? I think the benefit would need to be demonstrated? Can you think of any quick and simple ways to illustrate chess skill as a MA technique maybe? Thank you.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I use to play xiang qi Chinese chess. I wasn't good at it LOL.
Now my focus is doujin games cuter and more fun.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of martial artists having to play chess before. I play no games whatsoever, haven't got the temperament for them lol. I like real things rather than games. Both my son, son in law and daughter like playing poker though.