Snails pace....I will be back to hapkido regularly

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok guys, I know of the big hoobie di do I made a few months ago about hanging up my dobok. However watching hapkido form Oct.28 and talking to the physical therapist, GM and others I believe I will don the hapkido dobok once more. Not regularly before the first of the new year, but I will.

I have been working my core like a madman etc. I will and have been told that I will be on the snails pace for everything. I have done what I knew to be the smart thing and kept practicing the wrist/clothes and throwing and modified throwing I needed to test.

A few weeks ago I was awarded an honorary 1st dan in Judo by a former instructor. I am looking at testing for blue in tae kwon do. I don't want to feel like the hapkido dan is the one thing I could have but never accomplished/finished. I am doing it for me first and foremost, however I want to carry on a family legacy.

I will probably be a 2nd or 3rd dan in tae kwon do before I test for dan in hapkido but so what. It is more than a journey its and adventure right?

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad to hear you are gonna be able to get back into it! I for one can really sympathize with you.

Good luck on the journey!

Jeff

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I will probably be a 2nd or 3rd dan in tae kwon do before I test for dan in hapkido but so what. It is more than a journey its and adventure right?

Absolutely right.

Great news, Matt — Glad to hear your HKD dobok will be gathering sweat again soon!

DerekHKD

White Belt
Reaction score
Glad to hear you can return to HKD Matt. I hope you can come down and participate in one of your dad's classes some time!

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Matt---this is a Very Good Thing, I believe. The fact that you believe you can do it must mean you feel you can overcome the physical difficulties with your leges that you've alluded to---I don't know just what these are or how they came about, have wondered but don't feel I should intrude. But I think it's great that you now feel ready to go back to HKD and do it!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rank is great... rank is fun... but it is not the be-all and end-all for a true martial artist. You are going back to something you enjoy, knowing it will be difficult, and with a goal in mind to help you improve and keep you motivated - which makes you a true martial artist. Who cares how long it takes?

Congratulations on your attitude and your decision. Enjoy!