Rep. King VS King of Pop

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Can we all agree that Jackson's behaviour towards children was inappropriate? The guy was bizarre. His family is bizarre. The life he lead was bizarre. It amazes me that people hail him as a hero.
I would rather have all the coverage be afforded to Billy Mays. After all "Oxyclean" works wonders on my stained and sweaty workout clothes, but MJ has done nothing for our household or life for that matter.

I will miss the bejewelled, white glove
icon9.gif

JDenver

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I didnt know how right i was

Some things are just to simple for some to comprehend

Yes, you were even MORE right than you even thought you could be. It's like being 'right' to infinity. Now that must provide sound sleeping.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think his multiple plastic surgeries and other well publicized odd behaviors and actions contribute greatly to those who believe he actually crossed the line with children.

In their minds freak = pedophile

I must admit, the guy kinda' freaked me out a bit and I probably wouldn't let any kid I knew stay over for a slumber party with the guy. I also admit that MJ had a screwed up childhood and perhaps was only trying make up for it and/or perhaps felt he could use his wealth to make other children's lives happier.

Fact is he was never convicted, so while I personally wouldn't have let any kid I knew go to Neverland for a sleepover I must, in all fairness, give him the benefit of the doubt.

Celtic, my thoughts are generally in line with yours on this post and your previous one. Did Michael Jackson do anything illegal with those kids? I don't know -- I wasn't there. The criminal case fell apart in court because Jackson's accuser and his family members were poor witnesses, and key pieces of evidence didn't add up. Jackson wasn't declared innocent; he was declared not guilty (in the British system, I believe the equivalent is the more accurate "not proven.")

As for Representative King, he's exercising his First Amendment rights. What I would find disturbing about his analysis is his dismissal of a fundamental tenet of the justice system -- that the burden of proof is on the state; that people are innocent until proven guilty... in court. Rather than merely 'speaking ill of the dead,' which he may do freely, he is part of the problem he describes -- capitalizing on the Jackson's death.

His point about unsung heroes is not lost on me. In fact, I agree with him. He can make that point without resorting to a condemnation of a justice system that he ought to be defending. These sorts of ideals are supposed to be the very things that American military defend.

As for Jackson himself, I too found his behaviours regarding children disturbing. Were I privy to information of him saying to a child, "If you really love me, you'll sleep in the bed," I would be on the phone to Children's Aid. By the same token, I have no idea why parents would submit to kids having unsupervised sleepovers with an adult.

Latest Discussions