Remarkable photo!

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Pity the poor guy who was up there painting it at the time :D

Stupid question.. does anyone know, do engineers build in some kind of earthing on structures like this? I know they have lightning conductors on buildings, yes?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All public structures that contain significant metal quantities are earthed, Jenna. At least they are here in England. Even houses are earthed via their plumbing ... something that is changing with the switch to plastic piping ... or by a direct earthing connection into the ground outside.

If you have a phone line, then that has it's own earth too (only 48V tho :D}.

Obviously my knowledge on this is well out of date and there is a difference between the domestic arrangements and the civil ones I come into contact with {Too many puns to count here :lol:}.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Stupid question.. does anyone know, do engineers build in some kind of earthing on structures like this? I know they have lightning conductors on buildings, yes?

As Mark mentioned, all structures get grounded ("earthed," reminds me of my Austin Healey days, \"This vehicle positive earthed") even-and here's a bit of a mind-blower-boats get built with pretty comprehensive lightning protection, unless they're multihulls........

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As Mark mentioned, all structures get grounded ("earthed," reminds me of my Austin Healey days, \"This vehicle positive earthed") even-and here's a bit of a mind-blower-boats get built with pretty comprehensive lightning protection, unless they're multihulls........
Yes, I am having a blonde moment (no disrespect to natural blondes), it is the water aspect that was confusing, doh :D And your motor is -ve earthed not +ve earthed?? Where I work it is called earthing, grounding is less common.. The idea of earthing/grounding a boat I will not even ask as I will make myself appear even more of a bimbo :D I would be interested to learn how this is done though merci bcp :)

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Pity the poor guy who was up there painting it at the time :D

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't grounded. Even for our garage we had to drive a 6' long copper stake into the ground to connect the wiring to, that was one requirement to keep it within code.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To make it even more complicated, there is chassis ground (cars and electrical equipment), earth ground (metal stake in the dirt) and electrical ground (third wire or 'neutral' on US single-phase alternating current 115v mains). And none of them mean the same thing. Lovely.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is a remarkable photo. I heard one news report that it was a timed exposure. It may have been, but need not have been. One never knows what lightening will do. It can go to unexpected places, with great force. It can also enter a house as alluded to above, by unusual means.

When I was a kid in the country, we had a neighbor about 1/2 mile away whose house had been struck several times by the lightening striking the ground and coming in through the telephone line. Once it entered the house as a blue energy ball, moved from one room to another, surrounded a daughter standing next to a gas stove, then went back out through the gas stove lines. There was something in the ground close to their house that often attracted lightening, but fortunatly seldom did it enter the house. I thank that happened only two or three times over 20 or so years.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
During a thunderstorm people used to turn their televisions off, turn mirrors that were on the wall around and anything shiny like cutlery was put away in case it 'attracted' the lightning.

Wow! certainly does cover it!

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw the topic and was expecting to see a picture of ME! :rolleyes: Needless to say how disappointed I as, but that one wasn't a bad second. BTW, when did we get the memo we didn't have to turn our mirrors around anymore? :idunno:

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
During a thunderstorm people used to turn their televisions off, turn mirrors that were on the wall around and anything shiny like cutlery was put away in case it 'attracted' the lightning.

Wow! certainly does cover it!

Well, around here, we do tend to get power surges and outages, I like to turn electronics off - then again we also get tornadoes....so I leave the TV on...many times the computer as well, to check the radar...

Shkat

White Belt
Reaction score
Not the real thing you pasted here. These kind of photos i can make in just five minutes so try to post some different thing. Just a few use of graphics and photo editing software in which all these photos are made. Than why you are saying this remarkable.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not the real thing you pasted here. These kind of photos i can make in just five minutes so try to post some different thing. Just a few use of graphics and photo editing software in which all these photos are made. Than why you are saying this remarkable.

Welcome, Shkat to martial talk.

Just a heads up, when responding to threads take a look in the upper left hand corner for the current date of the content of the thread you are commenting on. Hope you enjoy the site.

Latest Discussions