Recent Video by Alan Orr

Status
Not open for further replies.

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Doesn't matter who the comment was directed at. Sounds a bit "unbalanced" to me regardless!

Sometimes you need to troll a troll. Alan is serously offended that I called Peter Irving low to mid level, which is just silly.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Uh...you called him a "low to mid" MMA fighter, which is kind of "talking down" I think. His record seems better than that to me!

Peter Irving MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography - Sherdog.com

http://www.fightersonlymag.com/content/interviews/14394-One-to-Watch--Peter-Irving

What's your Pro MMA record Guy?

Depends who he has fought and on what promotions. It is England so i wouldn't have a clue.

Fight matrix is a better indicator though.

Fight Matrix | Fighter Profile : Peter Irving

SaulGoodman

Green Belt
Reaction score
I take it you haven't met Frost, the resident kung fu magazine wing chun troll, and his various aliases. Or maybe you have?
That's pretty funny guy-b, sorry to disappoint but Frost is not my alter ego/secret identity. Rather than comment on YOUR unbalanced hypocrital statement that was aimed at this Frost guy you gloss over and try changing the subject. So come on, would you like to explain what was balanced about the statement that I quoted?

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sometimes you need to troll a troll. Alan is serously offended that I called Peter Irving low to mid level, which is just silly.

:rolleyes: I think that is rather an "unbalanced" view!

JustSomePerson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Back on topic, another great video from Alan Orr. I really like the explanation and the way he takes the student through it. Some very good teaching going on here.

'How to Improve punching power in wing chun'

SaulGoodman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Back on topic, another great video from Alan Orr. I really like the explanation and the way he takes the student through it. Some very good teaching going on here.

'How to Improve punching power in wing chun'
Just watched this clip a couple times. So force flow application isn't just about physical contact but also how to generate striking power too? That makes a lotta sense to me if that's the case

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just watched this clip a couple times. So force flow application isn't just about physical contact but also how to generate striking power too? That makes a lotta sense to me if that's the case

Force Flow™ in that sense is just a rebranding of one of the most basic WC concepts.

SaulGoodman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Force Flow is not a trademark.
I didn't say it was! Why are people so confrontational on this the "friendly" forum. I mentioned force flow because that is the method Alan is using to generate striking power in the clip

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I didn't say it was!
LFJ said it was in post #154. Possibly being ironic.

The signal-to-noise ratio in this thread is pretty low.
I wonder what the unfriendly forums are like. Physical challenges and more anger, I guess.

Last edited:

SaulGoodman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Force Flow™ in that sense is just a rebranding of one of the most basic WC concepts.
Not another "oh yeah we do that already and your just giving it a fancy name". From what I've seen so far it's far from "basic", and looks like a trained skill that one has to focus on intentionally. I've studied several different lineages of wing chun and at no time were these things covered. You WSL fanboys seem to think you have it all. The WSL people I have touched hands with were no better or worse than any other lineages I've met. I tell you one thing, from what I've seen from Alan's clips they certainly did not have the same level of close body control that he displays. I've also seen several clips from his recent seminars where he's played chi Sao with people not from his lineage and he simply blew them away.
I admit that I don't have "force flow" skills but am open minded enough to study it and hope to get to one of the seminars to feel it first hand

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Saul, I think "force-flow" is something present in all lineages of WC, and in all martial arts. Alan is just showing us ways to use it better.

One thing I particularly liked was when in passing (around 6:26) he referred to releasing power or fa-jing exploding, "like a sneeze". ....Except you don't spray your opponent with snot! :D

.... Alan has a gift for explaining and demonstrating this stuff in a very clear, comprehensible and no nonsense sort of way. That's why it so surprises me that some of this comes from Hendricks. Off hand, I'd be hard pressed to think of two people with more sharply contrasting communication styles.

Last edited:

SaulGoodman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Good biomechanics are/should be present and certain elements of force flow are evident in some Wc. But as a consciously trained component part of training? That's what I meant. I've read his book and it seems that just the fundamental way a lot of Wc practitioners hold and lock their basic horse precludes correct flow. Maybe he or Kpm canhelp on this one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions