Received my Cho Dan this morning!!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Basically I’m saying you can’t necessarily ALWAYS trust online translations or app translations.

If you reorder what the app says, and remember that the J sound and the Ch sound are made by the same character, it is my founding GM’s (who emigrated to the US in the 1970’s) name. Also, the fact that it says Knife Rinse for my last name, and Juggernaut Episode for the bottom left, makes its accuracy suspicious enough to question whether it is expressing his name correctly.

I have learned to be very cautious about online translations of any language. My high school Spanish teacher told us to always translate everything back the other way to make absolutely certain it was saying what we really wanted to say. I’ve had some pretty interesting results in my day. Depending on context, the verb mandar could mean drive, send, or order (a person to do something). Online translators don’t always guess right.
I train American Martial Arts. But the belt I've been wearing for the last fifteen years has Japanese Characters on it that I had designed. (I've always embraced Budo) The belt has no Dan stripes on it. It has my name, and on one side Japanese characters that say "Rank is meaningless."

The other side has my personal philosophy on all things Martial Arts.

I had Japanese friends, one a life long Kendo student, the other a devout Buddhist, design the characters. When the belt came, there had been a misprint, had to have the company do it over again. But they did a good job.

I'll be buried with that belt. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I train American Martial Arts. But the belt I've been wearing for the last fifteen years has Japanese Characters on it that I had designed. (I've always embraced Budo) The belt has no Dan stripes on it. It has my name, and on one side Japanese characters that say "Rank is meaningless."

The other side has my personal philosophy on all things Martial Arts.

I had Japanese friends, one a life long Kendo student, the other a devout Buddhist, design the characters. When the belt came, there had been a misprint, had to have the company do it over again. But they did a good job.

I'll be buried with that belt. Wouldn't have it any other way.
That sounds amazing! Any chance of you posting a photo of it?

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, can anyone read me the left hand side? I was told it makes the statement that I am a Chung Kim student. But I have a thing for languages, so I’m curious about the precise wording.

View attachment 28307
Obviously, one side is your name. The other side reads "Kim Jeong Eun Yoo Dan Ja Hway." 유단자 is a black belt.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, can anyone read me the left hand side? I was told it makes the statement that I am a Chung Kim student. But I have a thing for languages, so I’m curious about the precise wording.

I didn't see an answer outside of Google Translate answers, so I thought I'd add it says:

Kim, Jeong-eun (김정은) Black belt holder society/association/club (유단자회)

The first part is how I'd read out the GM's name, he may romanise it differently though. The second part is made up of two parts - 유단자 or Yudanja which means a dan grade holder (유급자 or Yugeupja is a coloured belt holder and 고단자 or Kodanja means a high dan holder). The other part is 회 (officially romanised as hoe, but pronounce more like hway) which means society, association or club (or words of that nature).

I'm not fluent, but have been speaking Korean for quite a few years now. Hope it helps.

Edit: damnit, didn't see there was a page 2, I see now others have answered. Leaving this here for posterity to showcase my stupidity in not checking though.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I didn't see an answer outside of Google Translate answers, so I thought I'd add it says:

Kim, Jeong-eun (김정은) Black belt holder society/association/club (유단자회)

The first part is how I'd read out the GM's name, he may romanise it differently though. The second part is made up of two parts - 유단자 or Yudanja which means a dan grade holder (유급자 or Yugeupja is a coloured belt holder and 고단자 or Kodanja means a high dan holder). The other part is 회 (officially romanised as hoe, but pronounce more like hway) which means society, association or club (or words of that nature).

I'm not fluent, but have been speaking Korean for quite a few years now. Hope it helps.

Edit: damnit, didn't see there was a page 2, I see now others have answered. Leaving this here for posterity to showcase my stupidity in not checking though.
You're a helpful guy, sir!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Attachments

• C5FF9C60-0DBA-4D82-9B5F-813D1C9D94D5.jpeg
    C5FF9C60-0DBA-4D82-9B5F-813D1C9D94D5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 65

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Congratulations! You've learned the basics. Now you will begin to learn the art! Enjoy the ride!

Latest Discussions