Realistic Chi-Gong?

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I watched a min or so of it. It looked to be what the Shaolin monks do on tour or other "tricks" that some practicers can do. Some of it yes can be dangerous if you do not know the "trick" or are not condition to perform it. You just don't go start hanging 20lbs from your scrotum it takes certain exercises to built up to that point.
Now is what they do real Qigong? The exercises to be able to do the feat do require certain Qigong exercises which the feat seen is the result of those exercises. However some feats like crushing an arrow with the throat and such have been shown on Penn and Teller's Bull-Shi* where a woman went to a "retreat" to conquer her fears by doing certain things like that and a scientist who showed how anyone can do it.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
A lot of these qigong marvels are little more than stunts. In any park in China you will see guys doing these things to demonstrate the strength of their Qi. Funny how much it looks like some old time circus tricks.

Penn and Teller really did demonstrate how easy some of these tricks are. Dotty little old ladies were doing similar things to show how their new-age whatever it is has developed.

It is yet another demonstration that the Chan monks of Shaolin are truly gone. The PLA runs Shaolin Temple as a tourist trap and these stunts are a good example of this.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Also take into account that Shaolin is big on external Qi training which amounts to they can take hit from just about anything, but it is not something that one would learn over night, it takes years.

As for the rest, that is Shaolin, amazing to watch but you should not try this at home.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just a little aside brought on by Shaolin.

My first teacher went to Shaolin in 1983 or 1984 (can't remember) and at the time there were three very old monks still at the temple. The government was allowing them to teach Ma but not Chan Buddhist philosophy. Wal (my teacher at the time) was allowed to spar with one of the old monks and it was amazing. The old guy was 92 and Wal, a pretty rough character and excellent combatant, could not touch the man.

The whole thing was filmed and turned into a documentary. It may only have been released here in Australia. It is called "Kung Fu Pilgrimage" and 'stars' Wal Missingham. Its worth a look for the monks who all passed away without spreading their philosophy. Its even worth it for the wacky movie vignette at the end starring Wal and some of his students.

Sorry about that. Now back to normal programming.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
........ You just don't go start hanging 20lbs from your scrotum it takes certain exercises to built up to that point........
I've practiced quiqong in my TKD class for years, and I'm convinced that no matter what exercises I try, I will never be able to hang 20 lb weights from my scrotum!

( :confused: :confused: :confused: ;) )

Latest Discussions