Real ip man footage

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was looking through YouTube and came across this I'd never seen it before but it was incredible to watch since this was filmed 2 days before he died of throat cancer and even when he's that weak you can see the power he has. I dont know anything about wing chun so I can't comment on any of that but just thought I'd share it.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was looking through YouTube and came across this I'd never seen it before but it was incredible to watch since this was filmed 2 days before he died of throat cancer and even when he's that weak you can see the power he has. I dont know anything about wing chun so I can't comment on any of that but just thought I'd share it.

This footage has been around for a while. It's interesting how some of the motions are much bigger than what I am learning in the Leung Sheung lineage, and Leung Sheung was his student.

I heard they wanted to record him doing Biu Jee, but he was not up to the task energy-wise.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
This footage has been around for a while. It's interesting how some of the motions are much bigger than what I am learning in the Leung Sheung lineage, and Leung Sheung was his student.

I heard they wanted to record him doing Biu Jee, but he was not up to the task energy-wise.
It's remarkable he was up to anything when he was that close to dying

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been a bit of research on ip man just as a bit of curiosity and he died 7 months before Bruce lee. I wonder if lee ever said anything about him dying or attended the funeral or whatever. I've never heard anything about it. I could be wrong but I reckon at the end of there life's they didn't see eye to eye on certain things

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There's a video of him doing Biu Jee, LDBG, and BJD. Leung Ting has it, very few people have seen it. They're from before these were recorded however.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I totally love the movie trilogy for IP MAN! What a hero he was! A true legend! Wing Chun at its best!!!
The movies were good but total nonsense though, the stuff he did in those movies never happened in real life.

DonnieBravo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The movies were good but total nonsense though, the stuff he did in those movies never happened in real life.

All I know is that Wing Chun, the way he portrayed looked better than what Jet Li displays in his movies. But you're right, since it was a commerical movie, most of the scenes had to be made up!

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
All I know is that Wing Chun, the way he portrayed looked better than what Jet Li displays in his movies. But you're right, since it was a commerical movie, most of the scenes had to be made up!
They were all made up. No one can fight anyone without getting touched. Like any movie it's a bit of fun not to be taken seriously. I'm sure ip man was very skilled but no where as good as donnie yens character portrays him as

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's a video of him doing Biu Jee, LDBG, and BJD. Leung Ting has it, very few people have seen it. They're from before these were recorded however.

They'd have to be. From what I heard, he was too worn out after these videos to do the others. I mean, can you imagine the man in those videos trying to flick that pole around? :-(

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
They'd have to be. From what I heard, he was too worn out after these videos to do the others. I mean, can you imagine the man in those videos trying to flick that pole around? :-(
Yeah they were from the late 60's, so they were filmed a few years before these. The quality was much better too.

DonnieBravo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
They were all made up. No one can fight anyone without getting touched. Like any movie it's a bit of fun not to be taken seriously. I'm sure ip man was very skilled but no where as good as donnie yens character portrays him as

That's right cuz if they dont spice things up in movies, noone would go to watch these movies. The unrealistic approach sells. As far as reality is concerned, this thread is as real as it gets from the start till the end. HeadHunter, we always want to turn our heads away from whats real because only a few have the guts to acknowledge and face it.

Latest Discussions