Re: Rage Dreams

yanike

White Belt
Reaction score
**UPDATE**
I did take the time out and read over my thread. I want to thank everyone here for their opinions. Since I couldn't find a Wing Chun school or any that I wanted to do, I decided to try out a Jiu-Jitsu and Judo school that does Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Muay Thai. Also, they have a MMA program and I wanted to do striking, so the lady said Muay Thai would be best.

Thanks again for your comments on my original post. Even though self-training my not be best, it's still where I started and found the love for martial arts. To any that self-train, do what you love and eventually find a school that fits you.

@Himura Kenshin to your questions. I liked that you actually took the time out to ask in detail, so it was only right to respond to what I felt to respond to.

It teaches you self what, exactly?
It teaches me to look at things at different scenarios before making a judgment. It teaches me to look deep into myself and look at where my life is going and do I want to go down that path. It teaches me about honor, loyalty, equality, and chivalry. True martial artists and the respect they have for others is what grabbed me. I wish more people today would respect on some of the martial artists level.

Discipline?
Yes.

Confidence?
Yes. Yes. This definitely.

Self-reliance?
Yep. Being independent and relying on self in any situation. Instead of counting on friends and family. This definitely.

What is the thing you love that you are learning?
SELF

So, what do you want out of training?
Building a better SELF

Do you want to learn how to fight?
In this area, I wanted to learn how to fight better. Know the correct way to do something incase a fight picks me. Also, how to defend against multiple attack situations and also defend those with me incase they can't defend themselves.

Last edited:

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
**UPDATE**
I did take the time out and read over my thread. I want to thank everyone here for their opinions. Since I couldn't find a Wing Chun school or any that I wanted to do, I decided to try out a Jiu-Jitsu and Judo school that does Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Muay Thai. Also, they have a MMA program and I wanted to do striking, so the lady said Muay Thai would be best.

Thanks again for your comments on my original post. Even though self-training my not be best, it's still where I started and found the love for martial arts. To any that self-train, do what you love and eventually find a school that fits you.

@Himura Kenshin to your questions. I liked that you actually took the time out to ask in detail, so it was only right to respond to what I felt to respond to.

It teaches you self what, exactly?
It teaches me to look at things at different scenarios before making a judgment. It teaches me to look deep into myself and look at where my life is going and do I want to go down that path. It teaches me about honor, loyalty, equality, and chivalry. True martial artists and the respect they have for others is what grabbed me. I wish more people today would respect on some of the martial artists level.

Discipline?
Yes.

Confidence?
Yes. Yes. This definitely.

Self-reliance?
Yep. Being independent and relying on self in any situation. Instead of counting on friends and family. This definitely.

What is the thing you love that you are learning?
SELF

So, what do you want out of training?
Building a better SELF

Do you want to learn how to fight?
In this area, I wanted to learn how to fight better. Know the correct way to do something incase a fight picks me. Also, how to defend against multiple attack situations and also defend those with me incase they can't defend themselves.

Yanike, congratulations on taking the steps neccesary to really continue training martial arts. I hope that it really works out for you. I do have a couple of words of caution for you though. Do not rely on martial arts to teach you to do the things you know are right. Through the years you will find many martial artist that show none of the attributes you ascribe to being a martial artist. You will also find that there are people who have nothing to do with martial arts that reflect those values completley. Do not put martial artist on a pedalstool. Every martial artist is just a person, with the good and bad that entails. Sometimes situations are beyond your control. It is great to be self reliant, but sometimes life will throw things that you cannot handle on your own. The difference between and arrogant man and a smart man is the ability to see those times for what they are and ask for help instead of letting the situation overtake you. Friends and family are there to help you when you cannot do it alone. Do not dissmiss thier incredible value in life. You are probably not going to get much training in multiple attacker scenarios. Both the Muay Tai and Judo/Juijitsu are based upon sports that concentrate one on one. So the training will be one on one. Now even if you are trained to fight multiple opponents, that is a risky proposition in under the best of circumstances. Do not get stuck in the trap of martial arts fantasy. Good Luck!

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What he said.

Personally I think MAs are a great avenue for self-discovery and character improvement, but like WC_lun said MA training does not always lead to this. I have learned a great deal about myself training, but I owe it all to my instructor who was always there to challenge me to think more. Learning to be more self-reliant is great too, but part of that also helped me learn to be appreciative of those that have helped me and continue to help me. No man is an island; we all need some kind of help and I think eventually finding a teacher would be best for you in the long run.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
**UPDATE**

Glad to see you decided to take our advice and do a bit more than self-train :) Also, to what WC_lun and Himura said, don't worry too much about it. it's my belief that if you go looking for something, (in this case a martial artist who can help teach you to build a better self) you almost definitely find it. Just ask the instructor when you check a place out how they feel about your definition of self, and how important it is. For you, thaqt answer may be more important than the style that they teach,

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yanike, I'm so very glad you decided to find a teacher in something close to what you want. I feel very strongly that this will get you closer to where you want to be.

Kudos to you, also, for responding to your initial greeting here with such aplomb in the open forum.

If you're willing - I really think this could be an amazing opportunity to journalize how you find your class-based training compares with or affects your solo practice.

Happy training to you - and please don't be a stranger.

Latest Discussions