RBSD And TMAs: Does One Prepare You Better Than The Other?

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Traditianal martial arts are no good in a steet encounter.
For street encounters you need to practise aggainst attacks you will face in the street .
Both traditianal martial arts and R.B.S.D have there place. Only R.B S.D will prepare you better for the steet.

I disigree with you if your instructor teaches the traditional martial art such as Okinawan Karate or Kung fu or traditional Japanese Jujitsu or Filipino Martial arts, or a myriad of other systems as they have traditionaly been taught before the sport crap started. My instructor does not teach for tournement, you can learn the rules and how that is done though. But if taught properly the traditional arts are extreamly effective on the street.

Where the heck do you think they were designed to be used? and they came about and were developed when cops were not available to come save you.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Traditianal martial arts are no good in a steet encounter.
For street encounters you need to practise aggainst attacks you will face in the street .
Both traditianal martial arts and R.B.S.D have there place. Only R.B S.D will prepare you better for the steet.

RBSD is based on "traditional" karate and other traditional arts, Fairbairn, Applegate and others took their MA training and took out a few techniques that were very easy to learn and quick to teach and used those to give crash course lessons to the WW2 military guys. RBSD seems to forget that karate has all the same tools and more, it all comes down to how you are training those tools.

I have not yet seen a "street attack" that was not accounted for in okinawan karate (talking about unarmed at this point). Many people make the mistake of lumping ALL TMA's into one category. There are many different TMA's out there, some of them only focus on personal/spiritual development, some of them changed and focus on the sport aspect, and there are some that still focus on fighting.